Help: Question about rep (green bar)

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I know it's been this way forever. But I'd figure I'd ask to satisfy my curiosity.

As you're reputation goes up. Why are there 5 Bright Green bars, then after that, the rest of the bars are Dim Green (up to a max of 6 it appears)?

This isn't an important question that needs an answer if you have to dig around to find out, and I don't expect a change. I just am curious why they change from Bright to Dim if anybody happens to know off hand.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I know it's been this way forever. But I'd figure I'd ask to satisfy my curiosity.

As you're reputation goes up. Why are there 5 Bright Green bars, then after that, the rest of the bars are Dim Green (up to a max of 6 it appears)?

This isn't an important question that needs an answer if you have to dig around to find out, and I don't expect a change. I just am curious why they change from Bright to Dim if anybody happens to know off hand.

Your signature needs some updating

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This is not a technical answer, and may have no basis in reality.

If I remember correctly, Jeremy redid rep a few years ago by taking the old number that you had and dividing it by some number (5 or something). That meant that, as you accumulated more rep, it would give you a numeric value based off of a dividend of whatever the repping entity had. Thus, when everyone's values were lower, it was harder to get large amounts of rep - so I think that the light green rep are all rep values under a certain numeric value, and the dark green are over a certain numeric value.

That likely makes no sense.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Probably not something that's needed when no one knows what it means...

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
It'd be sweet if someone could explain the whole concept of repping, how it works, and everything else that goes along with it. I kind of get it, but only the basics. Seems like a good idea because more and more new people are posting on the CF regularly.

Reactions: TarHeelHawk

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

If I remember correctly, Jeremy redid rep a few years ago by taking the old number that you had and dividing it by some number (5 or something). That meant that, as you accumulated more rep, it would give you a numeric value based off of a dividend of whatever the repping entity had. Thus, when everyone's values were lower, it was harder to get large amounts of rep - so I think that the light green rep are all rep values under a certain numeric value, and the dark green are over a certain numeric value.

Not even close.

Reactions: Angie

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

It makes sense to me, however you are at full rep very soon. It doesn't take much to get there. I have a feeling Jeremy either A.)Didn't forsee the quality of posts coming or B.)Didn't think we would give each other credit. I think the rep system needs to be redone.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It makes sense to me, however you are at full rep very soon. It doesn't take much to get there. I have a feeling Jeremy either A.)Didn't forsee the quality of posts coming or B.)Didn't think we would give each other credit. I think the rep system needs to be redone.

Here, here!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Yep. Basically, it's inflation. When he first redid the system, the method where it divides had everyone at really low numeric values, so, if you were only giving someone a dividend of your already-low numeric value with each rep, it followed that rep amounts were pretty small. However, I guess we rep a lot. :)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Just look at this thread. All but 2 people are at full rep and one is very very close. The other only has 400 posts. It gets up there fast, especially if you post with the quality I do. :jimlad:

Reactions: Angie

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Here's what I think would be cool:

A system where you could 'rep' someone, but it would be personal to you - not everyone could see it. That way you can see quickly who you think has had good or bad info/comments. Sometimes it's obvious when people post a ton, but it would be particularly valuable when someone doesn't.

Edit: Or maybe it just weights your 'repping' of that person higher?

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Here's what I think would be cool:

A system where you could 'rep' someone, but it would be personal to you - not everyone could see it. That way you can see quickly who you think has had good or bad info/comments. Sometimes it's obvious when people post a ton, but it would be particularly valuable when someone doesn't.

Edit: Or maybe it just weights your 'repping' of that person higher?

Actually, a person's rep is already factored into the rep you receive from that poster, I believe. If you're way out there on the rep spectrum, posters way low don't actually give you a measurable rep amount, or maybe none at all.

Hope that didn't sound as cold as it might have. I'm in analytical mode now.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Actually, a person's rep is already factored into the rep you receive from that poster, I believe. If you're way out there on the rep spectrum, posters way low don't actually give you a measurable rep amount, or maybe none at all.

Yep, that's part of what I was trying to say before. It's why you can get a blue box of rep in your UserCP - it's positive rep given by someone who doesn't have a rep value of their own that's really measurable (and able to be divided).

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

So what you're saying is that if I rep you, it means more than if someone with on bar reps you?

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive

That makes sense....but I want my own version. What I think of someone's comments, not based on what other people think...haha!

You would have horribly low/negative rep on mine. I kid. I kid.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron