Question about Downtown DSM

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Downtown needs a grocery store, and maybe a "staple" store or two. If they sucked up the non-church/non-female barbershop quartet remnants of Southridge mall (i.e. a Target-like store/ Trader Joe's, a Younkers and a Sears) I think that would be about perfect. Cover most of the bases without having to leave the downtown area.

While this would likely help Downtown as a retail area, this is in fundamental opposition with the thinking of pretty much any downtown/Main Street coalition in Iowa (and beyond). I've worked in the marketing office of malls, and have also worked with the Main Street board in a couple of towns - they don't WANT big stores and chains in there. They all are grasping tightly to that "small town Main Street" feeling (even in bigger cities), where all of the stores are locally-owned and support the local economy. While this is a noble cause, complaining that the big stores/malls get all of the business and blaming everyone else for the shortcomings inherent to this business model. Unfortunately, we as a society are lazy - people want to go to one shop (Target, the mall, etc.) or, more accurately these days, the internet for their goods and services rather than traipse around to ten different mom-and-pop stores. Complaining about it isn't going to do anything; changing the "downtown" business model is, and that's about all that will save them.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm not an expert but I believe this won't happen because: #1) IKEA's tend to locate in urban areas, not cornfields turned into shopping areas. #2 I don't think there is any city even close to Des Moines sized that has an IKEA store. They are located in much larger population centers.

I agree with the urban thing but I believe I read somewhere that they factor in the population in a 50 mile radius. Des Moines is too small but 550K people in the metropolitan area isn't anything to sneeze at. I think the metro area would need to be double that before they would think about moving here.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
While this would likely help Downtown as a retail area, this is in fundamental opposition with the thinking of pretty much any downtown/Main Street coalition in Iowa (and beyond). I've worked in the marketing office of malls, and have also worked with the Main Street board in a couple of towns - they don't WANT big stores and chains in there. They all are grasping tightly to that "small town Main Street" feeling (even in bigger cities), where all of the stores are locally-owned and support the local economy. While this is a noble cause, complaining that the big stores/malls get all of the business and blaming everyone else for the shortcomings inherent to this business model. Unfortunately, we as a society are lazy - people want to go to one shop (Target, the mall, etc.) or, more accurately these days, the internet for their goods and services rather than traipse around to ten different mom-and-pop stores. Complaining about it isn't going to do anything; changing the "downtown" business model is, and that's about all that will save them.
I 100% completely agree wholeheartedly +1.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like a Trader Joe's :D

Reactions: Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron