QB Play

CyStorm

Aug 9, 2009
Ames via Storm Lake
Sammy Football came to play today IMO. He made some good reads and checked down when he needed to. The one INT was kind of a crazy 1 in a hundred play which he shouldn't be responsible for. He didn't try to force too much and when he took some shots down field his balls were pretty accurate. Also it seems he has really learned to avoid unnecessary contact and get down in open field. Usually he is standing in a collapsing pocket when he is passing and it would be great to see what he could do with a little more time. It's nice to not have a QB controversy even though we aren't winning.

I wanted to see if you all are seeing the same things I am and get some opinions on here of how you all feel about our QB play.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
He looked good against a quality opponent. If he plays like that every game for the rest of his career I'll be very happy.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
If he really brought "it" to the team, our defense would have gotten a TO on KSU's winning drive.

Sam played well. I wish we had a guy like Lockett.

2009ChEClone

Oct 13, 2012
Sam played great. He went through his progressions a lot better. Thought his accuracy was good, except for one ball really early (to West I believe).

My only wish with Sam is that when he makes his first escape in the pocket, he finds someone that has broken free downfield. It seems that whenever he tries to avoid a pass rusher he stays in run/ escape mode.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Sam played great. He went through his progressions a lot better. Thought his accuracy was good, except for one ball really early (to West I believe).

My only wish with Sam is that when he makes his first escape in the pocket, he finds someone that has broken free downfield. It seems that whenever he tries to avoid a pass rusher he stays in run/ escape mode.
I think he usually continues to look but there usually isn't anyone open enough that he can set up and throw it.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Hoping to see some posts here from the guys who called for Grant after last Saturday.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I thought he was pretty meh today. Definitely didn't lose us the game but those were a lot of dink and dunk passes he completed. Not sure if that's the playcalling or the WR's just not getting open.

Some positive things to build off of but 0 points in the second half hurt this team a lot.

sigh

Apr 11, 2006
Denver
He played a fantastic game IMO. Didn't stare down receivers, went through his progressions and completed passes. Can't wait for Montgomery to play which should help open up more down field routes. Also, the Oline gave him great time and space

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I thought he was pretty meh today. Definitely didn't lose us the game but those were a lot of dink and dunk passes he completed. Not sure if that's the playcalling or the WR's just not getting open.

Some positive things to build off of but 0 points in the second half hurt this team a lot.

I'm not sure if you think that's a negative or not. Plays are designed with those options for when the defense drops back in a zone or leaves the running back uncovered. If Sam's completing those most of the time that means he's making the correct decision.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I thought he played great today, but I also thought he played pretty good last week. Really helps when your line is giving you time...

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
My only criticism of Sam is when pressured and how he handles blitzes. If there is a big lane to take off and run then he is fine. But bouncing around in the pocket scrambling he really is not a happy camper and struggles. He's got to learn to find his hot reads better, or they need to design a different blitz counter, or something. I don't think KSt blitzed much at all today and that helped.

Keep him clean though, and he's pretty good. I think only one errant throw today, several really good ones, and the INT not really his fault, fluky thing. He was 21/30 and at least 2 obvious drops, if not 3 or 4. That's a pretty good %, close to 80% without the drops.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Very impressed with him in the first half, not so much in the second. He's happy feet ger on my nerves. I wish he would step up and make a tough throw like I saw Rudock make today.