Props to UNI, Great effort and faintastic game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
UNI is closer to being the 4th best team in the state than they are the 2nd.

Either Iowa or Iowa State is the best team in the state, and the other one is the 2nd best. But we won't know the answer as to who is the best until the season is over. Next Friday's game won't tell us a whole lot actually. It's just one game. Teams can have off nights and look bad on one particular night. Just look at ISU last night.

Iowa fans thought they were better than ISU last year when they beat them at Carver. That turned out to not be the case. It was just a poor shooting night for ISU and they looked lifeless for whatever reason. By the end of the season, it was apparent that Iowa State was the better basketball team.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Actually 3-5. However, I don't think they have even played a game at home yet. Iowa has played the sisters of the poor at home and one good team in their tournament. No team they have played so far (besides maybe villanova) is a team I'd say is better than a bubble team, and most are going to be lucky to get into the NIT. Record in this instance means very little. I could see UNI doing very well in their conference.

Too bad the cowards and the fighting cartman's took their ball and dropped out of the series with UNI, and we won't get to find out head to head how UNI stacks up to Iowa, we'll see how the season goes.

Am I saying that they ARE the 2nd best team, no, but is there a decent chance they prove to be? Yeah. Less than 50% chance? Maybe, but Not a lot less. I stand by the possibility and decent chance. I honestly think that they are more athletic than Iowa and better on offense. They have a higher upside than Iowa, and If they can play Defense like they did tonight and not lose their shooting legs, they are salty. D is a push on the first 6 players, but Iowa's ability to put a fresh "line" in is going to make their Defense more persistent.

So if Iowa has only beaten the sisters of the poor and teams that are going to be lucky to get into the NIT, how would you describe the teams UNI has beaten: Coe, Loyola Marymount and LaSalle? Not to mention their losses to the powerhouses of Ohio, UW-Milwaukee and George Mason. UNI has a chance to be the third best team in the state, but at this point Drake has been better. UNI isn't close to Iowa or Iowa St this year.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
Actually 3-5. However, I don't think they have even played a game at home yet. Iowa has played the sisters of the poor at home and one good team in their tournament. No team they have played so far (besides maybe villanova) is a team I'd say is better than a bubble team, and most are going to be lucky to get into the NIT. Record in this instance means very little. I could see UNI doing very well in their conference.

Too bad the cowards and the fighting cartman's took their ball and dropped out of the series with UNI, and we won't get to find out head to head how UNI stacks up to Iowa, we'll see how the season goes.

Am I saying that they ARE the 2nd best team, no, but is there a decent chance they prove to be? Yeah. Less than 50% chance? Maybe, but Not a lot less. I stand by the possibility and decent chance. I honestly think that they are more athletic than Iowa and better on offense. They have a higher upside than Iowa, and If they can play Defense like they did tonight and not lose their shooting legs, they are salty. D is a push on the first 6 players, but Iowa's ability to put a fresh "line" in is going to make their Defense more persistent.

This is one of the worst posts I've ever read. Wow. I hate Iowa as much as the next person but this post is absolutely moronic....

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
This is one of the worst posts I've ever read. Wow. I hate Iowa as much as the next person but this post is absolutely moronic....

That is your right to think that. I'm not saying they are the 2nd best team, they just have the potential. I think Jacobsen is a good coach and they will be salty. They stand a chance. Not a great chance, but they stand a chance. Call it what you want. Some of it is likely embellishing because I am impressed with the class of their BB program and heart last night. They lost their legs, but went after it hard and didn't get all that chippy in that 5 minute barrage.

I think they are faster and more athletic and better coached though. The rest we'll see the rest of the season.

So if Iowa has only beaten the sisters of the poor and teams that are going to be lucky to get into the NIT, how would you describe the teams UNI has beaten: Coe, Loyola Marymount and LaSalle? Not to mention their losses to the powerhouses of Ohio, UW-Milwaukee and George Mason. UNI has a chance to be the third best team in the state, but at this point Drake has been better. UNI isn't close to Iowa or Iowa St this year.

Never said they didn't play weak teams, but they aren't 300 plus RPI's either and unless I'm reading wrong, my point has only been that hey have been almost exclusively on the road. If you don't think games would have gone differently had Iowa or ISU played all their games on the road then you are crazy. Would either have lost more games, I don't know, but Its gotta take a toll being on the road so much.

Impressed with them last night. that is the point. I think they will be better than their current record. I also think Iowa will be worse than their record. My point here is that their records right now don't tell a whole lot. The sample size will get larger and I think Uni will look better as the season goes on.

Last edited:

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
That is your right to think that. I'm not saying they are the 2nd best team, they just have the potential. I think Jacobsen is a good coach and they will be salty. They stand a chance. Not a great chance, but they stand a chance. Call it what you want. Some of it is likely embellishing because I am impressed with the class of their BB program and heart last night. They lost their legs, but went after it hard and didn't get all that chippy in that 5 minute barrage.

I think they are faster and more athletic and better coached though. The rest we'll see the rest of the season.

Never said they didn't play weak teams, but they aren't 300 plus RPI's either and unless I'm reading wrong, my point has only been that hey have been almost exclusively on the road. If you don't think games would have gone differently had Iowa or ISU played all their games on the road then you are crazy. Would either have lost more games, I don't know, but Its gotta take a toll being on the road so much.

Impressed with them last night. that is the point. I think they will be better than their current record. I also think Iowa will be worse than their record. My point here is that their records right now don't tell a whole lot. The sample size will get larger and I think Uni will look better as the season goes on.

Uni is quicker at the guard spot but they are not more athletic as a team nor are they a better offensive team than Iowa. That was a bad UNI team that we played. The game would never have been close had we come out ready to play.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place

What does that make our schedule then? According to Sagarin, Iowa has played the 157th toughest schedule with ISU playing the 272nd toughest schedule. Should we completely discount our results and maybe assume that Iowa and Drake are the top two teams in the state because of our schedule containing only the sisters of the poor? Here are the opponents' rankings:

Iowa:
NC Wilmington - 227
Nebraska-Omaha - 93
Maryland-Eastern Shore - 312
Abilene Christian - 348
Penn - 204
Xavier - 58
UTEP - 118
Villanova - 4
Notre Dame - 47
Drake - 82

Iowa State:
NC Wilmington - 227
Texas A&M CC - 310
Michigan - 10
BYU - 35
UMKC - 286
Auburn - 196
UNI - 126

breck53

Aug 29, 2008

You don't know much about Iowa, if you've only see them play last night. Worse than their record? doesn't make any sense to me-laughable,at best.

cybot

Apr 14, 2006

cybot

Apr 14, 2006
beep....beep....beep.....the sound of you backing up.

Iowa would blow out UNI.

ISU would blow them out 8 times out of 10. It was an off night.

It was a stupid statement.

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
beep....beep....beep.....the sound of you backing up.

Iowa would blow out UNI.

ISU would blow them out 8 times out of 10. It was an off night.

It was a stupid statement.
This-and it was a good comeback last night for ISU. They did not look sharp to say the least.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
1. Iowa State
2. Iowa
3. Creighton
4. Indian Hills
5. UNI

UNI isn't good. We played an awful first half and then played decent to win.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
The hoks haven't been the best team in the state for years and years. I don't even remember the last time they were the best team in the state. Why would that change this week?

Last edited:

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Remember it was their Super Bowl. Nate Buss or whatever his name is may not score 20 points the rest of the year. I think he just now woke up from his shooting coma

ClivePurple

Jan 9, 2010
You Clones are generally clueless, except for the OP and a few others. You suck in your own red and yellow KoolAid so rapidly you cannot see beyond the end of your own nose.

UNI is not having a great start, but that doesn't mean we're not salty and capable of having a good year. Our "super bowl?" Please. Spare me. In years past, playing ISU has weakened our RPI. By your own Clone logic, we should have skipped those games, as they did us no good. Yes, ISU has a better team under Hoiberg, but you guys suddenly think you're now Duke? God, you're demented. BTW, we've given Maryland a good game this month, and beat La Salle, a sweet 16 team last year. Yes, not the same as beating Michigan, but please, try to be realistic. We'll always generally give ISU a tough game. Just ask Creighton and Wichita State (Final Four, if you recall), both of whom we beat last year and in preceding years as well.

See where we are in March. And remember, our great run in 2010 started with us losing 9 games in Nov./Dec. If you don't think your win over us was a quality win, you have a very low basketball IQ.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
You Clones are generally clueless, except for the OP and a few others. You suck in your own red and yellow KoolAid so rapidly you cannot see beyond the end of your own nose.

UNI is not having a great start, but that doesn't mean we're not salty and capable of having a good year. Our "super bowl?" Please. Spare me. In years past, playing ISU has weakened our RPI. By your own Clone logic, we should have skipped those games, as they did us no good. Yes, ISU has a better team under Hoiberg, but you guys suddenly think you're now Duke? God, you're demented. BTW, we've given Maryland a good game this month, and beat La Salle, a sweet 16 team last year. Yes, not the same as beating Michigan, but please, try to be realistic. We'll always generally give ISU a tough game. Just ask Creighton and Wichita State (Final Four, if you recall), both of whom we beat last year and in preceding years as well.

See where we are in March. And remember, our great run in 2010 started with us losing 9 games in Nov./Dec. If you don't think your win over us was a quality win, you have a very low basketball IQ.

How does it feel to know that even on ISU's worst day they are still 10 points better than UNI?

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

I don't really have any problems with uni. other than of course that 91% of their fanbase are "dual" fans, and mostly hawks.

I actually feel more pity than anything. Jake's star has certainly faded a bit. Very very good coach, still for some reason he wants to change the identity of the program that was as successful as uni's was, do not really understand why you change that formula.

I guess I agree you guys should make some noise in the mvc, anything less than 3rd and it would be a real and tremendous disappointment, that league is the shockers and everyone else.

ClivePurple

Jan 9, 2010
I don't really have any problems with uni. other than of course that 91% of their fanbase are "dual" fans, and mostly hawks.

I actually feel more pity than anything. Jake's star has certainly faded a bit. Very very good coach, still for some reason he wants to change the identity of the program that was as successful as uni's was, do not really understand why you change that formula.

I guess I agree you guys should make some noise in the mvc, anything less than 3rd and it would be a real and tremendous disappointment, that league is the shockers and everyone else.

91% Purple Hawks. Yet another myth you clones will never drop. By the way, I don't see Clones giving grief to this UNI Guy For Cy. I guess a Purple Clone is totally welcomed and understood. BTW, Wichita owned the MVC last year, maybe this year too, but we'll see. UNI owned it for 2 consecutive years. Creighton had its turn, as did Indiana State. You Clones have short memories. As for the Big 12, it truly is all Kansas, all the time.

ClivePurple

Jan 9, 2010
How does it feel to know that even on ISU's worst day they are still 10 points better than UNI?

How does it feel to know you finally beat UNI, barely, after losing the past 5 of 6 to us. And how does it feel that little UNI, with less than 25% of the ISU budget and 63 scholarship slots, soundly spanked Iowa State in football, while playing pretty mediocre.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
How does it feel to know you finally beat UNI, barely, after losing the past 5 of 6 to us. And how does it feel that little UNI, with less than 25% of the ISU budget and 63 scholarship slots, soundly spanked Iowa State in football, while playing pretty mediocre.

I'd slow it down a little, or I could ask you how it feels to be banned.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It's crap like this that makes me wish I could go back in time and not cheer for UNI to beat Kansas in 2010.