Property Tax Issue

HawkHater

Mar 5, 2008
Hey guys I am wondering if I have a chance of recouping any money from this situation. Built a house in 2000 started paying property taxes in 2002. Recently changed Home Insurance companies and noticed on the policy my house was listed about 700 square feet more than it actually is.
So I asked my insurance guy where he got his numbers and he told me the county assessor. So I called the assessor and he lowers my assessed value 15,000. This amounts to about 270 dollars a year in taxes for over the course of six years. The house is a saltbox colonial with the back half open so it is actually a story and a half home, I assume that is where the screw up was made.

I would like to know if the county owes me the money, if so how do I get it? or am I SOL

Last edited:

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Put it in writing and have the county review the situation. That way they have to respond in writing. They do owe you some money, and they need to calculate how much, plus interest.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Good luck trying to get money from a government entity. They spend other peoples money like it is other peoples money and they not likely to hand it back to anyone anytime soon. In fact they will probably ask you to pay them fees if they have to do any research at all. You would probably end up losing money on the deal.

HawkHater

Mar 5, 2008
Thanks, that is what I figured needed to happen. Send to county attorney, assessor, board, All three? what would be the best course.

HawkHater

Mar 5, 2008
My concern is also with the IRS, I deducted said taxes from my income as well which I assume would create a mess if I have some refunded. The sad thing is it is my own fault for not checking my tax bill closer. I just assumed it was all good and this one I actually caught on the glance.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Send it to the county tax office. The assessor's office is a completely separate office than the tax office, that's why they only changed the assessed value for you instead of requesting the research to find out what the county owes you for overpayment of taxes.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
My concern is also with the IRS, I deducted said taxes from my income as well which I assume would create a mess if I have some refunded. The sad thing is it is my own fault for not checking my tax bill closer. I just assumed it was all good and this one I actually caught on the glance.

They'll probably just end up crediting you for the upcoming tax cycles rather than actually sending funds back to you. That way, your previously filed taxes will not be affected, but you'll just end up in effect paying less for the upcoming taxes so you'll have less to deduct the next time you file.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006

You paid those taxes in those years so you did not misrepresent anything to the IRS. If you get a refund back you might have to offset that against your property taxes in the year you receive it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron