Prof. Avila

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
has anyone checked der professor's
green card?maybe he is an illegal immigrant. someone should check his passport and put him on the next rocket to mars if he has overextended his visa. theRE has always been some crackpot at iowa state that takes on the separation of the church and state.
tell thE "PROF" THAT MOST OF THE MONEY THAT HE CARRIES AROUNd IN HIS WALLET OR COIN PURSE HAS THE WORDS" IN GOD WE TRUST" ENRAVED ON IT..ALSO TELL HIM OUR PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE SWEARS ALLEGIANCE "UNDER GOD"IN OUR GOOD OLE U.S.A.

IF HE DOESN'T LIKE AMES,SEND HIM
TO HIS COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.SOME US BELIEVE IN THE DIVINE GUIDANCE!!

WTF are you trying to say?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
has anyone checked der professor's
green card?maybe he is an illegal immigrant. someone should check his passport and put him on the next rocket to mars if he has overextended his visa. theRE has always been some crackpot at iowa state that takes on the separation of the church and state.
tell thE "PROF" THAT MOST OF THE MONEY THAT HE CARRIES AROUNd IN HIS WALLET OR COIN PURSE HAS THE WORDS" IN GOD WE TRUST" ENRAVED ON IT..ALSO TELL HIM OUR PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE SWEARS ALLEGIANCE "UNDER GOD"IN OUR GOOD OLE U.S.A.

IF HE DOESN'T LIKE AMES,SEND HIM
TO HIS COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.SOME US BELIEVE IN THE DIVINE GUIDANCE!!

What a joke

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Intersting story about Hector: I took a Religion class from him in 1995 and he analyzed the bible from three different perspectives. He never disclosed he was an athiest until the last day of the class and he also stated he used to be one of those campus preachers that would stand on college campuses and preach and defend the bible to a questioning crowd. He said as time went on he couldn't defend the bible anymore and became an athiest.

Wow, wouldn't that be construed as trying to sway your students to your way of thinking? So he's basically trying to be objective and gain everybody's respect all semester, then at the end he tells you what conclusion he came to "objectively"? That sounds to me like he's using the trust he has built up as a professor for "impressionable minds" to use that trust in converting people to his way of thinking. I can't imagine what Avalos would do if one of the other religion professors did something similar and the last day of class stated "I have searched and researched every possible theory and idea and the only possible solution is that the Bible is Truth and God breathed and the only way to heaven is through putting your trust and faith in Jesus Christ". We would be talking about another professor casualty here as he would slaughter them with a slew of petitions and articles in the Daily.

My own opinion on having an Atheist as a religion professor is that it's ridiculous. I have seen many people say that even though he is likely influenced by his beliefs, so would a Christian or Muslim professor be. That to me doesn't make it any more understandable. I would way rather see a Muslim or Hindu teaching our religion classes than somebody that doesn't believe in anything. I would equate it with a person who doesn't believe in aliens teaching a course on the science of aliens. I really don't see how you can effectively teach something that you don't believe in. If I didn't believe in long division I'd have a big problem teaching it to my 4th graders.

Finally, everybody bashing Deace's article calling it "ad hominem" and a host of other fallicies from their beginning philosophy courses, get a clue! This isn't an article about some scientific theory found in a research journal. It's a freaking opinion piece on a message board! I'm pretty sure that if he had written in in the crusty, fact based format that some of you seem to think he should have, most of us would have fallen asleep reading it and you same people would be calling it a bore. If you think it's a crappy read, it's probably just because you don't agree with his viewpoints, but what type of researched, documented piece did you expect to read on Cyclone Nation (or any other cyclone board)?

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Wow, wouldn't that be construed as trying to sway your students to your way of thinking? So he's basically trying to be objective and gain everybody's respect all semester, then at the end he tells you what conclusion he came to "objectively"? That sounds to me like he's using the trust he has built up as a professor for "impressionable minds" to use that trust in converting people to his way of thinking.
Seriously? This is nothing more than revealing what biases one might have, which I would want my teachers to do. It makes sense to do this at the end of the class so that students have had time to form their own opinions and so that your arguments for the other side are taken seriously.

My own opinion on having an Atheist as a religion professor is that it's ridiculous. I have seen many people say that even though he is likely influenced by his beliefs, so would a Christian or Muslim professor be. That to me doesn't make it any more understandable. I would way rather see a Muslim or Hindu teaching our religion classes than somebody that doesn't believe in anything. I would equate it with a person who doesn't believe in aliens teaching a course on the science of aliens. I really don't see how you can effectively teach something that you don't believe in. If I didn't believe in long division I'd have a big problem teaching it to my 4th graders.
The classes he teaches, from his ISU profile page:
Courses Taught
Bible
Old Testament
New Testament
Latina/o Religious Experience
Religion and Latina/o Literature
How does not believing in God prevent one from effectively teaching about these things? Even more pointedly, how would being a Muslim or Hindu help in teaching these. He's not teaching a "God is Great!" or a "Jesus Saves!" class.

If you think it's a crappy read, it's probably just because you don't agree with his viewpoints, but what type of researched, documented piece did you expect to read on Cyclone Nation (or any other cyclone board)?
I expect something that at least makes a reasoned argument instead of personal attacks and obvious fallacies. It's not that difficult. I see such things from people I disagree with on this message board all the time.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Say what you want about how much you respect the way Avalos taught Religious Studies, personally, I respect the way Eric Northway taught it even more. This is a man who grew up Atheist, went to the University of Dunham in England as an Atheist, and was an Atheist when he went into a personal study to prove the Bible fallible. The end result? He gave his life to Christ. So you're probably asking "how unprofessional, he gave his life story in class." Wrong. He never once stated his personal beliefs in class. He always left it up to us to interpret. And he didn't give a schpiel on the last day to try to convert you to his viewpoint. So how did I find out about his life story? A friend of mine was so disgusted with the teaching in the class that she decided to drop the class, and at the same time confront the Prof. Northway. That's how he told his life story and viewpoints, after being asked. Just the way it should be. Not on the last day of class when no one will be around to complain.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The classes he teaches, from his ISU profile page: How does not believing in God prevent one from effectively teaching about these things? Even more pointedly, how would being a Muslim or Hindu help in teaching these. He's not teaching a "God is Great!" or a "Jesus Saves!" class.

Well, he's got to teach people about something he doesn't believe in, and that other people do believe in. What does he teach his students about God...is God a real being or a fictitious being? What does he teach about Jesus...was he the Son of God or not? Did Jesus rise from the dead or not? God and Jesus are major characters in the OT and NT...it's kind of hard to avoid them if teaching the OT and NT. Does he tell the students that it's up to them to decide? I don't know...I'm just curious what approach he takes...

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I would venture a guess that he phrases it "Christians believe that..." followed by "Jesus is the son of God", "Jesus rose from the dead", etc.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
If that article was in print, I would have used it for TP fifteen minutes ago. Way to prefece your article by telling the tolerant people not to read it. "Those of you who think you're 'tolerant' should stop reading." That just tells everyone that you're not only rather robust, but that you're also a religious bigot. Way to be an idiot, Deace!

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
IF you ask me, this is all the work of the Hawkeyes. The last few years the Cyclone community was at odds with Coach Mac. Keep him or get rid of him, we were split along two sides. Well, now we get a coach we are all pretty happy with so far, so, now they find us something else to argue about. We need to remember we are all on the same side here. It's a football team and it should be their choice. I keep hearing things like, "I'm XXXX religion so, I guess I'd feel that way." The biggest thing to remember is we aren't members of the football team. Your religion has nothing to do with them. If it's not funded by the state then we all need to shut the **** up and let them get on with football.

I guess I'm just glad that this really isn't a controversy that really has anything to do with football.

Last edited:

ArathornClone

Oct 10, 2006
He takes shots at atheists, muslims, and other religions which is exactly why having a chaplain is a divisive thing.

That's great that Deace's "owner's manual" is the Bible but other people shouldn't have to use it as well if they don't want to.

Do you think Deace is who we are hiring as the chaplain? If not, you and some others on this thread seem to be projecting Deace's view onto the role of a chaplain that Chizik has in mind. Last I checked Deace is not a chaplain, and Deace is not Gene Chizik.

Let Chizik run his football team how he wants to as long as it is legal and ethical. This whole "issue" has nothing to do with Deace. He, like many others (Avalos included) should just stay out of it.

ArathornClone

Oct 10, 2006
I took a class called The New Testament that was taught by Dr. Avalos in the spring of 2006. It was maybe the most educational class I ever taught. We went through each section of the bible through the eyes of a Christian, a jew, and a non-believer. Dr. Avalos, although an athiest, never divulged his beliefs, and because he argued so thoughtfully in debate against the agnostics in our class, I thought he was a Christian or a Jew. Dr. Avalos is an incredibly loyal and educated man. Despite being educated at Harvard I know for a fact that he has had numerous opportunies to instruct at other universities but has remained loyal to Iowa State. When Dr. Avalos graduated from Harvard, he had a terrible illness that left him so weak that he could barely talk and move, he interviewed with several elite schools but only one university gave him an opportunity to teach and that was Iowa State. Despite making a full recovery, he is returing Iowa State's loyalty by being a professor of Religious Studies plus he runs the Latino Studies department. (And by the way, his salary is public information and I won't tell you what it is but it is considerably lower than six figures). Dr. Avalos was the brightest, most thoughtful professor I have ever met and his own personal beliefs do not matter at all in the classes he teaches. His interest in Religious Studies stems from his father being a televangelist and he always planned to follow his father's footsteps until college. I am a Deace fan and supportor of his show but he is way off base.

Interesting. Nowhere in your description did I read about his qualifications for running a football team or an athletic department.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I'm curious why none of you against the idea of a Chaplain ever list Voodoo when you bring up other religions?

The most common religion discussed here other than Christianity appears to be Islam...typically used here in the context of "what would you think if they wanted an Islamic Chaplain" (to paraphrase what many have written).

I say we get a Voodoo Priest and have him not only convert all of the players to Voodoo but all of the fans as well. He can give every player and coach his own Gris Gris Bag. All fans can be given Voodoo Dolls. I'm sure the new Voodoo Chaplain could do this through his/her proselytization in pretty short order.

Think of the power of those Gris Gris Bags and Voodoo Dolls...I can visualize us winning the National Championship this season!

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Voodoo priest? Nah, never work. I once saw an episode of Scooby Doo and get this, the voodoo priest? He was just some white guy in a disguise. Turned me off of voodoo forever after that. Darn them meddling kids and their dog.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
And in Major League, all that worshipping of Joboo by Cerrano netted in one key home run. He gave Joboo "cigar and rum" to him all season and all he got was just one home run at an opportune moment (and that was only after he threatened to be done with Joboo). He then went and converted to Buddhism in the offseason. I see Voodoo backfiring big time...

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
And in Major League, all that worshipping of Joboo by Cerrano netted in one key home run. He gave Joboo "cigar and rum" to him all season and all he got was just one home run at an opportune moment (and that was only after he threatened to be done with Joboo). He then went and converted to Buddhism in the offseason. I see Voodoo backfiring big time...

Never underestimate the power of Gris Gris Bags and Voodoo Dolls, my friend!!

dsouth

Nov 24, 2006
Interesting that the opposition is started by somebody in "Religious Studies" whose position is at a public University by public funds.

"I only hate two things, People who are intolerant of other people's culture, and the Dutch" - Pappa Powers

Last edited:

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
The voodoo thing could provide a psychological advantage. It would be a lot harder to focus on the game if there were 40,000 fans stabbing a doll that looks like you.

photomuse

Nov 14, 2006
This article is one of the worst pieces of crap I have read in a long time. Can someone point out to me one *specific* example in the whole diatribe? I don't believe that he supported his name calling with one bit of evidence. He expects us to believe that this Avalos is a raging atheist on a mission do destroy his good Christian world without presenting us one bit of evidence. What a bunch of bull.

Help Support Us

Become a patron