Preseason USA Today Coaches Poll: ISU #24

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Does the PAC really deserve 5 teams?

Pretty hard to believe half of the top 25 is Pac and B10.

SEC/ACC/B12 all undervalued. Only one group of five team is ranked, UCF. Almost a sure thing that 2-3 end up ranked from MWC/AAC and a Mac team will sneak in there often.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'd rather us be #26 and pissed off to start the season.
Frankly, I want them ranked as highly as possible. Sometimes the only difference between a top 5-7 team and a top 10-13 team halfway through the season is where they both started the season. It is incredibly hard to move up when you start really low in the rankings - and in football you only play 12 games that give you an opportunity to move up.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The seven Big10 coaches in the poll will do their best this year.
I thought that might have something to do with it. But that is just half the league and the Big 12 has half the league's coaches as well. But I guess larger states have a bigger sway in the House of Representatives as well so the big 10 coaches can do some damage.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Aren't they picked to win the B14 West? Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern are all ranked? East has tOSU, UM, PSU, MSU all ranked....

Really surprised to see Mich. St. and Wisconsin ranked. That's a 20 spot jump from where they both finished last year. A little pumping on those Big10 coaches part.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I don’t think being 2 spots lower in a coaches poll would piss our players any more off.
Being "in" vs. "out" means much, much more than 2 spots lower.

Chip on shoulder factor can be important.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Frankly, I want them ranked as highly as possible. Sometimes the only difference between a top 5-7 team and a top 10-13 team halfway through the season is where they both started the season. It is incredibly hard to move up when you start really low in the rankings - and in football you only play 12 games that give you an opportunity to move up.
If we finish 3rd in the Big 12 this year and ranked #20 I will agree. But remember - it IS tough to move up, but when a team like Iowa State loses a game they fall far and hard in the polls.

Look at how we fell after losing a very close game to Washington State.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Polls need to be fired into the sun until week six or seven. I like that it gives us something to talk about, but they bias polls that actually have data to track with by providing an essentially arbitrary start point.

• Agree
Reactions: JRE1975

Cycho'18

Jul 23, 2019
Nebraska coming in 26th
tenor.gif
If it makes you feel any better, Scott Frost didnt vote for Nebraska to make the top 25. Dont worry they will be ranked soon enough. Their first 4 games are all wins. Ohio State is the game we will really see who is full of sh!t.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
If it makes you feel any better, Scott Frost didnt vote for Nebraska to make the top 25. Dont worry they will be ranked soon enough. Their first 4 games are all wins. Ohio State is the game we will really see who is full of sh!t.
I can already see it, week one: both ISU and NEB win their easy games handily. ISU gets dropped in the rankings to make room for the Nebraska hype train.
:rolleyes:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I hope Nebraska loses every football and basketball game. They haven’t been good in either for a while and I’m already sick of hearing about them.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It will be a lot harder for the big 10 teams to fall out when 7 of them are ranked in the preseason. Every time one of them loses it will be: "but...but...but it was a loss to a ranked team..." Never mind that that ranked team already has three losses.

This has been the model from the start. Inflate records, inflate perception.

It's impossible in the Big 12 round robin to inflate records, but for 14-team conferences, it's a feature.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I hope Nebraska loses every football and basketball game. They haven’t been good in either for a while and I’m already sick of hearing about them.

Interesting how coaches poll didn't have NU in (although it's 26th(?) so that's close anyway). Apparently that coaches panel isn't as big on the Nebraska hype as a lot of media projections. We'll see what AP voters think.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
It will be a lot harder for the big 10 teams to fall out when 7 of them are ranked in the preseason. Every time one of them loses it will be: "but...but...but it was a loss to a ranked team..." Never mind that that ranked team already has three losses.

Yup. Self fulfilling prophecy. Usually the case with the SEC having three or four teams front loaded in the top 10 - ends up with rhetoric like last year when people were arguing Georgia should be in the playoff.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Where do you see what coaches voted for who?

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
Interesting how coaches poll didn't have NU in (although it's 26th(?) so that's close anyway). Apparently that coaches panel isn't as big on the Nebraska hype as a lot of media projections. We'll see what AP voters think.
Speaking of the AP does anyone know when that is supposed to come out?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron