Pre game atmosphere

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I forgot to mention that KU is not afraid to play rap in their pregame, and turn it up really loud. The players and student section are all dancing. Our gameday staff never has their finger on the pulse. I would love to see a group of students (not the type that run CA) put together some ideas. Grab some students from all over campus and let them go to work. It would be a cool project and students are much more creative than the 40-year-olds currently pumping out the Jock Jams.

I'd agree with this. Frankly I was shocked when Turbulence made the playlist, although, of course it's a song that's what, three years old at this point?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The losses took their toll. If we reel off 5 or 6 wins in a row, people will get to the games earlier. That's what it's all about. The students aren't filling their section and season ticket holders get to the game around tip. The crowd blew their load on Michigan and Kansas.

Comparing it to KU isn't fair. If we had won 9 conference titles in a row, Hilton would be packed early like AFH. KU basketball is all those people have. I was there Wednesday, and talked to many who had traveled hours to see the game. They wait outside the locker rooms for hours for autographs. It's a culture thing.

For the losses to take a toll, fans would have to be completely ignorant, as if they never thought that losing happens in college basketball.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Intro video is great. I get chills every time. When the team comes out from the locker room is great. Jock jams are ok. I get why people like it and why they don't. The one thing that would help a lot is to turn the lights off. I know why we don't and I know it would be expensive but it really needs to be done.

The other thing is while not a valid excuse the fans are still recovering from the 3 losses. If the loses were spread out it wouldn't have hurt as much but the athletic department went through a really tough couple of weeks with the women losing also.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I love the pregame. I love showing the team dancing in the hallway and I love the video intro. The problem is we have so many late arrivals that not everyone is in their seat when the game starts. By 3 minutes in the people are finally in there.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
For the losses to take a toll, fans would have to be completely ignorant, as if they never thought that losing happens in college basketball.

You'd have to be completely ignorant to think after a 14-0 start, losing 4 out of 5 wouldn't affect the more bandwagonish fans (a lot of students). Most fans don't know the schedule like we do. They don't understand that losing to an unranked team on the road is completely normal in conference play. All they see is we are losing, and in some cases, losing to teams ranked below us. The average fan would swear on the Top 25.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
The video is okay but I wish they would update as the year progresses. I also like George's dance and u can tell it loosens the players up as they are all laughing and smiling. Then it gets flat. It wouldn't be as noticeable if it didn't carry over to the game like yesterday. And I drive 3 hours each way to get there an hour early and have 3 season tickets for the record.

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Here's one of the best. (although i hate the team)

Start at 2:10

[video=youtube;QYDfqbcCAos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYDfqbcCAos[/video]

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I enjoy the "Light Em Up" portion of the pregame and the players in the tunnel. It works great as long as people are in their seats. I thought Macklemore was a great selection during the Iowa pregame. We need current music that the players and students are enthusiastic about. Leave the Guns n' Roses and AC/DC garbage for the State Fair.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Obligitory Aris basketball video: [video=youtube;WcvAOpnnMK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcvAOpnnMK0[/video]

If we aren't trying to copy that then we should just stop ******* trying.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
[video=youtube;Zn6kiimEsYc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6kiimEsYc[/video]

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Kansas has a great intro video for football as well, and the pregame atmosphere sucks. Fans make pregame atmosphere, not videos or music. The volume can only be cranked up so far on a sound system before its annoying. I think we have a loyal following at ISU, but not a vocal one until the end of the game, a three, or a foul call. This has to change. I was at the ISU game in Lawrence, and the KU student section was screaming at the top of their lungs to begin the game... can't say that was the case in Ames, or has ever been.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I was at the ISU game in Lawrence, and the KU student section was screaming at the top of their lungs to begin the game... can't say that was the case in Ames, or has ever been.

This is the fact. Until you get the most vociferous supporters to get loud, the atmosphere will not be there. I'm one of the "old people", but I used to be one of the loud ones. The students. The entire crowd feeds off the students. Our involvement used to be at a very high level, and basketball tickets were a special event, one that everyone fought to be involved in.

Until we can get student involvement up to a crescendo, we won't have the rest of the environment at a crescendo, either. That upper balcony being empty says volumes about it. The students just aren't fighting for a place in the stands any more.

If it takes new music, so be it. I know Eminem isn't at the top of my list of top songs to hear to pump me up for gameday. Some of it is improving, such as the new hit tape which others have also commented on.

Does KU have a Smilecam, Show Your Muscles, or an Apple Shuffle? What about UNC, Syracuse, etc?