Portillo's in the Quad-Cities

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Quad-Citians may have a popular new eatery to relish.

City officials have confirmed Peoria developer William Torchia could bring Portillo’s to Davenport, across from Costco Wholesale along 53rd Street.

Torchia runs WCT Properties out of East Peoria and has helped bring several developments to the Quad-Cities, including two separate strip malls on Elmore Avenue, as well as Natural Grocers. And recently, he helped bring Portillo's to Peoria. The Chicago-style hot dog restaurant chain opened this spring.

Some Quad-Cities residents have been begging for a local Portillo's chain for years and even started a Facebook group about it. And the city of Davenport teased to a Portillo's opening on its Facebook page Wednesday, which sparked conversation of the restaurant chain's arrival in the Q-C once again.

Wednesday afternoon, the city posted on its website, “Davenport is potentially the site of Iowa’s and the Quad-Cities’ first Portillo’s location that is part of a zoning request that goes to the Planning and Zoning Commission next week.”

Torchia said he won’t announce official plans until a neighborhood meeting with 18 property owners at 6 p.m. Thursday, at the Davenport Library Eastern Avenue branch.

"I don't have a deal with anyone for this particular development," he said. "For this particular ground, nothing has been signed yet. There are no deals with anyone. Right now, it's just important to get the land rezoned so we can bring commercial development to those parcels."

Portillo's Spokeswoman Ana Espinoza said there is no news to report on development in the Quad-Cities at this time.

Next Tuesday, the Davenport Plan and Zoning Commission will consider Torchia's request to rezone 6.5 acres, south of East 53rd Street and east of Lorton Avenue, from a residential to commercial development. The property is south of the new Costco, which is expected to open in October.

"The development is lining up right with the Costco and that new traffic signal on 53rd Street," he said. "So you'll be able to go directly across from our development to Costco, and then turn left or right on 53rd Street."

He said around nine residential properties currently sit on the land, which runs along 53rd, from Lorton Avenue toward the Q-C Mart.

"Our goal is to be a good neighbor and blend with the neighborhood," Torchia said. "We want to make sure the neighbors are comfortable with what we're trying to do. We have a long way to go with meetings and the city, but having their support will get this across the finish line."

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We will be visiting the in laws a lot more in Davenport if that happens. A combo of Portillos then Whitey's is heavenly. I'll just come back 10 pounds heavier.

• Winner
Reactions: harimad

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Color me underwhelmed. Went there once in Chicago with my former boss, who was from there. He was jacked. I found it to be extremely ok. I don't get the appeal.

Of course, in Cedar Rapids, we have cars lined up for blocks for Chick-fil-A, Popeyes Chicken... probably will have same if we got a new Sbarro.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: Rural and Messi

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I live within 10 min of both locations in Scottsdale/Tempe. Glad they aren't closer or I would be extremely overweight.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Originally born in Chicago and portillos is something slobs from the suburbs get excited about.

• Disagree
Reactions: runbikeswim

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We will be visiting the in laws a lot more in Davenport if that happens. A combo of Portillos then Whitey's is heavenly. I'll just come back 10 pounds heavier.

I moved to Chicagoland and treated Portillo's like it was a healthy option

I didn't think I could gain weight that fast. An all time high!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I moved to Chicagoland and treated Portillo's like it was a healthy option

I didn't think I could gain weight that fast. An all time high!

Well I always get my italian beef double dipped, which shrinks the volume of bread, hence less carbs. So you can make it healthier!

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Any quad cities residents got an update on this?
Land was just recently closed on and I don't think they've started knocking down the houses yet so it's going to be a while. Costco across the street is almost done and has been taking up a lane of traffic so hopefully they let that finish before taking up a lane on the other side of the street. Everyone I know is avoiding that area as much as possible right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi