POLL: 2017 Big 12 Football Championship

Which teams will play for the 2017 Big 12 Championship?

• Total voters

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Does Okie Lite have a defense though, really? Serious question, honestly don't know.

Oklahoma should be fine if they don't have "Game of Thrones" succession issues distracting them.

K-State is my darkhorse. I think they will be annoying on offense and solid on defense. Hope I am wrong.

Texas has the talent but still learning a new system, I don't think it happens overnight.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
K-State is my darkhorse. I think they will be annoying on offense and solid on defense. Hope I am wrong.

Opposite. Offense is loaded behind a very good line and senior QB. Defense has talent but will have to replace both linebackers and league DPOY at end.

• Agree
Reactions: cycophagus

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Here are this week's Big 12 Power Ratings from Berry Tramel of NewsOK.com:
http://newsok.com/big-12-rankings-conference-status-sinks-even-lower/article/5562731

Predictably the Oklahoma schools are at the top. He also doggedly sticks with this past weekend losers WVU and UT at #3 and #4 respectively. KSU is #5, which I think is low. ISU, by contrast come it at #6, which is a pleasant surprise.

Id go...

1. OU
2. OSU
3. KSU
4. WVU
5. TCU
6. Tech
7. ISU
8. Texas
9. KU
10. Faylor

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Here are this week's Big 12 Power Ratings from Berry Tramel of NewsOK.com:
http://newsok.com/big-12-rankings-conference-status-sinks-even-lower/article/5562731

Predictably the Oklahoma schools are at the top. He also doggedly sticks with this past weekend losers WVU and UT at #3 and #4 respectively. KSU is #5, which I think is low. ISU, by contrast come it at #6, which is a pleasant surprise.
Either he's being sarcastic or hoping that's the case, I'm not sure which.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
OU and TCU took care of business on the road against power 5 opponents. I think many, including me, overlooked TCU before the season started. But their traditionally strong defense is back. And with senior transfer Kenny Hill at QB, they are also dangerous on offense. Next to the Old Man, history will view Gary Patterson as the next most revered coach in the conference. Lets also not forget that, if not for Baylor's cheating, TCU would have been the only "one true champion" in 2014. And with a birth in the CFP, who knows what they might have done.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Although I agree Patterson is a damn fine coach, I wouldn't take too much from them beating Arkansas. Remember Texas was back after beating ND last year. TCU was dreadful at season's close. And yes, they certainly look better today.

The same can be said in some ways for Lincoln Riley. He won his first big game without Bob but with a Heisman candidate QB. That's all we know for sure about him as a head coach. There will be many big games this year for him and his Sooners.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
With all non-con games behind us, what have we learned to help predict who will play in the championship game? Remember that everyone is 0-0 in this race. Non-con counts for bowl eligibility, but not for this game.

My take away from the non-con season is that Big 12 defenses, at least at the top, are more formidable than I thought during talking season. OU shut down Ohio State, TCU shut down Arkansas, and UT held their own - against all odds against USC. Keep in mind all these games were on the road. KS lost at Vandy in what was not a huge surprise, but they always start slow and crescendo in November. Okie State is still in high favor, but they won't beat anybody 13 to 10. Texas Tech may even have a pulse, but D is never going to be their thing.

Few had picked UT, given their shakiness in recent years, and their new coaching staff. But after last night, have you changed your mind? I think this is the one team that could ruing OU's perfect season, but I think they will play to the level of their competition one too many times.

Before the onset of the conference season, I am holding fast with OU vs TCU in the title game.
I think they are the most likely to play consistent disciplined footbal week in and week out.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
With all non-con games behind us, what have we learned to help predict who will play in the championship game? Remember that everyone is 0-0 in this race. Non-con counts for bowl eligibility, but not for this game.

My take away from the non-con season is that Big 12 defenses, at least at the top, are more formidable than I thought during talking season. OU shut down Ohio State, TCU shut down Arkansas, and UT held their own - against all odds against USC. Keep in mind all these games were on the road. KS lost at Vandy in what was not a huge surprise, but they always start slow and crescendo in November. Okie State is still in high favor, but they won't beat anybody 13 to 10. Texas Tech may even have a pulse, but D is never going to be their thing.

Few had picked UT, given their shakiness in recent years, and their new coaching staff. But after last night, have you changed your mind? I think this is the one team that could ruing OU's perfect season, but I think they will play to the level of their competition one too many times.

Before the onset of the conference season, I am holding fast with OU vs TCU in the title game.
I think they are the most likely to play consistent disciplined footbal week in and week out.

I am not sure that USC is the Death Star that everybody says they are.

They have...

-- played Western Michigan -- without Mr. Fleck -- way to closely
-- beat up on Stanford, which then lost to San Diego State
-- barely beat a Texas team that lost to turtles in double overtime

Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Clemson, and Penn State (less the bold ones because they have not really played anybody good) look to be in their own worlds.

OU versus OSU... they somehow split Bedlam and the championship gave which, of course, the committee uses as justification for neither of them in the playoff.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
From the Kansas City Star:
The Big 12 title game now a good thing for stunned Oklahoma

Like most Cyclone fans, I am still in "pinch me" mode following the big win in Norman yesterday. Along with that was a twinge of pity for the little Power 5 conference that could, given OU appeared to be the only team with a realistic shot for a birth in the CFP. But the KC Star begs to differ. If anything, they argue, yesterday's monumental upset could instead, by amplifying its importance, increase the interest in the Big 12 Championship game.

Most of us predicted a Bedlam rematch. That remains possible, but what are you now thinking after conference week 2? (Remember, changing your vote is okay, and encouraged as the season progresses.)