Players coming off of Redshirt Years

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Moore wasn't a dual threat type. My bad.

LOL, my bad. I should have double checked before I posted. He was classified as a dual threat QB coming out of Waterloo West. Sorry for the bad info.

I still don't think he'll switch positions.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
LOL, my bad. I should have double checked before I posted. He was classified as a dual threat QB coming out of Waterloo West. Sorry for the bad info.

I still don't think he'll switch positions.

Only reason I brought it up is because if he's a good athlete/football player that they want on the field (like Lanning was) they'll try to find a spot if there turns out to be a logjam at qb. Don't get me wrong, you have to have plenty of quarterbacks ready to go (like this year, goodness) AND there may not be another Lanning come along for awhile. Haven't several other fb programs successfully converted qb's to linebacker, too? Probably happens more to receiver, tho.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
These weights obviously will change but some of the contenders are:

Good-Jones: 6'5 293
Meeker: 6'6 314
Knipfel: 6'5 317
Foster: 6'8 304
Bolton: 6'5 325
Udeogu: 6'3 317
Hudson: 6'6 350
Mueller: 6'6 309
That is a lot of Runza's.

Roll most of the new Freshmen into Red Shirt status and the development of both lines continues upward. Excited to see this happen (and not sure Iowa State has ever been at this point with line development).

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
That is a lot of medical redshirts. I need to go back and watch the early games to look for a couple of those guys. Seems like the staff isn't afraid to throw the young guys out there to get some experience and see if they can stand out.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Only reason I brought it up is because if he's a good athlete/football player that they want on the field (like Lanning was) they'll try to find a spot if there turns out to be a logjam at qb. Don't get me wrong, you have to have plenty of quarterbacks ready to go (like this year, goodness) AND there may not be another Lanning come along for awhile. Haven't several other fb programs successfully converted qb's to linebacker, too? Probably happens more to receiver, tho.

I guess it's possible but Lanning was a rare case and a special player. My guess is if there's a logjam at QB down the road then someone will see the writing on the wall and transfer.

It's tough right now because we're all excited about the recruiting of this staff and everyone they bring in looks like a guy who's a surefire eventual starter and contributor. But some of these guys might never play a down for ISU. Same thing happens everywhere else. There's just so much turnover and attrition every year with injuries, coaching changes, rules violations, over-recruiting, guys not developing or not living up to their potential and so on.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Moore wasn't a dual threat type. My bad.

I think Devon Moore has some running ability, but his bigger assets are his arm and size.

Looking at his high school stats from his 247 page, he ran more when he was a Sophomore and a Junior, but really opened up his passing as a Senior.
https://247sports.com/Player/Devon-Moore-84478/high-school-146098

I think he'll be a kid who can run when necessary, but we probably wont design a bunch of runs or run a lot of option with him. Run/Pass options will be available for him, but he won't be the next Seneca Wallace or anything. Maybe more similar to Arnaud. Big guy who can run some too.

Re-al Mitchell is the best athlete of the group. Much faster and very quick. Also has a good arm but definitely a dual threat. Smaller in size, listed at 6' in HS and skinny. We will have to see how he holds up when taking hits at the college level. Super interested in his development.

Zeb Noland is the best pure passer of the three. Not a complete statue, but not really a dual threat either. He has already shown a lot of poise in his first start against Baylor, but definitely still needs work to be the #1 QB if that is the case next season.

Reactions: skibumspe

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

QB to Linebacker is pretty rare unless the guy played a ton of LB in college. Fast QBs move to WR a lot, and some of large athletic ones move to TE.

I don't see Moore being the kind of athlete to make a position change. Many here are convinced that Re-al Mitchell will get switched to WR down the road if he doesn't start at QB. I am hoping they develop him and keep him at QB.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Re-al Mitchell is the best athlete of the group. Much faster and very quick. Also has a good arm but definitely a dual threat. Smaller in size, listed at 6' in HS and skinny. We will have to see how he holds up when taking hits at the college level. Super interested in his development.

Sounds like Monte.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Wow. Menstruating?
coming from the person who got his panties in a bunch for me asking a simple question. ok Brandon, keep trying to play this card like Im the bad guy here. there didnt even have to be a bad guy, just an answer.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I saw that most of the redshirt WR's were under 6'. Can we put them on the rack and get them to 6'5"?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron