Player of the game: Kansas

Player of the game

• Jaren Holmes. 15 points (all in 2nd half), 6 rebounds

Votes: 86 41.7%
  • Tamin Lipsey. 9 points, 10 assists, 8 rebounds

Votes: 94 45.6%
  • Osun Osunniyi. 13 points, 5 rebounds

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Tre King. 10 points, 5 rebounds (first half spark)

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Holmes deserves a lot of love. He is exactly what this team needs. Last year, it wouldn’t have been enough. But with the way GK and Grill are playing, Holmes is in the prefect role.
We're a lot more balanced this year. Last year it was basically rely on Brockington to get 20+. Luckily Gabe and Caleb have been more consistent this year, and the additions of Jaren and Osun have been great.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Holmes deserves a lot of love. He is exactly what this team needs. Last year, it wouldn’t have been enough. But with the way GK and Grill are playing, Holmes is in the prefect role.
Reminds me of my first thought when I looked at the stats. If you had told me Grill and Kalscheur would combine for 17 points on 6-17 shooting, I would have guessed we lost by 10. The rest of the guys really stepped up today.

isuclone89

Oct 23, 2007
Medical Lake, WA
I honestly look at it as a team. No one player seems to totally control a game. Different players at different times in different roles. King helped build the lead, Holmes kept Kansas at bay, the rest helped with assists, rebounds, defense. Without the all they don't succeed.

Reactions: Acer88 and NWICY

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Voted Jaren. Team played great in the first half, but when it came time to bury the Jay hawks for good, Jaren picked up his shovel and went to work.

Reactions: isutrevman

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Holmes and Tamin are deserving but I went with other because I think Jaz just makes the team look so much smoother when he's on the floor. So glad to have him back.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Kansas played a very small lineup for much of the second half. Their puny guards weren't going to stop Holmes or Lipsey.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The cool thing about this team is that Holmes would probably tell you it was Lipsy. Lipsy would probably tell you it was Holmes.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Holmes and Tamin are deserving but I went with other because I think Jaz just makes the team look so much smoother when he's on the floor. So glad to have him back.
Jaz helps with the press for sure. He knows where to be and can dribble the ball up if necessary. We don’t lose at TT if he plays in that one.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
My only knock on Holmes is that he can be a turnover machine. Pretty sure he leads the team in turnovers. I hold my breath whenever Lipsey is on the bench and Holmes becomes our primary ball handler. Like others have said, getting Kunc back should help in getting the ball up the court safely.

• Disagree
Reactions: StLouisClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Give me a Holmes and Osun on this team every year

I wish we had more interviews with Holmes and Osun. They are both so articulate, insightful, clever, and competitive.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
My only knock on Holmes is that he can be a turnover machine. Pretty sure he leads the team in turnovers. I hold my breath whenever Lipsey is on the bench and Holmes becomes our primary ball handler. Like others have said, getting Kunc back should help in getting the ball up the court safely.
Holmes actually does a pretty good job as backup PG, considering it’s not his natural position. He’s got a positive assist to TO ratio. If Gabe or Grill had to do it they’d have twice the turnovers. Games where he had trouble are the same ones Lipsey did.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Holmes and Lipsey are both averaging around 3.0-3.2 turnovers per 40 minutes. They both are great at getting the ball into the paint. Holmes is forced to create a shot on his own sometimes so he is going to turn it over once and a while. ISU leads the nation in turnover margin so our guards deserve nothing but praise.

Edit: Looks like ISU fell to 5th in the nation in TO margin after the TTU game. Point still stands.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron