Place to eat in CF/Waterloo like Cafe Somerset in Ames?

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
If you want Mexican, Amigos on University in Cedar Falls is good.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I will not eat at anything Beck owns. Frozen, reheated, crap service at every single one of his establishments. Plus he is not exactly the most ethical owner in the world

imaclone2

Jun 7, 2008
I just moved to Waterloo about a month and a half ago, and I'm hoping to find some good local places to eat -- specifically, I'm wondering if there's a place here similar to The Cafe in Somerset in Ames? I know there aren't going to be a lot of places like that anywhere, but I figured I'd ask around.

Of course, if any of you have any other favorite local places, I'd love to hear about them too!

Go to Morgs in dowtown Waterloo for breakfast sometime. Not much to look at on the outside, but you won't be disappointed with the food.

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
welcome to the area brother. you are going to like it here. there are lots of restaurants plus Waterloo is getting a Dicks sporting goods. and a longhorn steakhouse is opening soon. I hear that they are good.

BCPanther

Jul 13, 2009
Waterloo
I will not eat at anything Beck owns. Frozen, reheated, crap service at every single one of his establishments. Plus he is not exactly the most ethical owner in the world

Darin Beck gets a terrible reputation for things that happened 15 years ago. He has admitted that he had a drug problem in the past, has gotten help and turned his life around. I know dozens of people that work for him or have worked for him at every level from COO to waiting tables or cooking, they have nothing but good things to say about how they were/are treated. His restaurants, especially Bourbon Street and Roux Orleans are absolutely phenomenal, award winning stuff in both places.

I do agree on Beck's though. Pepper's, The OP, and Mulligans are much, much better.

He is a forward thinker and a great entrepreneur which for some reason is always frowned upon in Waterloo/CF.

Last edited:

danrog

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle
For downtown try out Pump Haus and Toad's. Both very good. Other local places I like are Beck's and the OP (Other Place). Both have locations on the hill or on University. Beck's is a great sports bar and OP has really good pizza.

Becks sports bar is terrible. I would never recommend that. Do yourself a favor and just go to peppers or the OP for sports bars instead.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Darin Beck gets a terrible reputation for things that happened 15 years ago. He has admitted that he had a drug problem in the past, has gotten help and turned his life around. I know dozens of people that work for him or have worked for him at every level from COO to waiting tables or cooking, they have nothing but good things to say about how they were/are treated. His restaurants, especially Bourbon Street and Roux Orleans are absolutely phenomenal, award winning stuff in both places.

I do agree on Beck's though. Pepper's, The OP, and Mulligans are much, much better.

He is a forward thinker and a great entrepreneur which for some reason is always frowned upon in Waterloo/CF.

Bourbon Street and Voodoo Lounge are about the only two places I enjoy of his. Even there though I've never received good service at any of his establishments, so that is the main reason I gave up on them. Award winning? Maybe within the Cedar Valley where there arent many "non Beck" options.

IMO, he is kind of like the Wal Mart of Waterloo/Cedar Falls. His "big" restaurants really push down the little guys. The OP is really the only other restaurant on the Hill worth eating at. He also owns half of the Hill which doesn't give consumers many options.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Too bad that guy owns like half the local restaurants in the Cedar Valley then...

Also, if you like Bourbon Street in downtown Cedar Falls I'm pretty sure that Roux Orleans in Waterloo is almost the exact same menu.

Also, Sub City is ok, but it is not my favorite. If you are downtown for lunch stop by the Boardwalk Deli. It's nothing special, but the owners are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron