People saying being ranked doesnt matter

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
U have a point on it doesnt make you a better team but ranking has to be important to the selection comittee. When was the last time you saw a ranked team not make the tourny? I cant think of one. Still nice to be where we are at this time in the season. I can't remember the last time I was this exited for every game and felt like we could beat anyone home or away on any givin night. Or the last time in february I was mad becaused I felt we got jipped in the rankings. Exciting times

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
U have a point on it doesnt make you a better team but ranking has to be important to the selection comittee. When was the last time you saw a ranked team not make the tourny? I cant think of one. Still nice to be where we are at this time in the season. I can't remember the last time I was this exited for every game and felt like we could beat anyone home or away on any givin night. Or the last time in february I was mad becaused I felt we got jipped in the rankings. Exciting times

Seriously? How many times has a ranked team in the final rankings before selection Sunday not been in the top 35-40 of RPI? I think you are suggesting a cause and effect relationship that isn't there.

Icky_Mettle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Ames

2004 Utah State.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
On February 6th it doesn't matter.

+1 million. It doesn't matter today what we're ranked. Also, we're 27th in the AP Poll. There are more than 25 At large bids. Yes, it could be less some years than others (i.e. Murray State could lose their conference tournament but still make the NCAAs), but whatever.

Also, there are numerous things taken into consideration for an at large bid and AP Polls are just one of them. RPI is another thing taken into consideration.

But yeah, on February 6th..who cares?

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
2004 Utah State.
but that was utah st. Cant compare them lol

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
Conference standings are much more important. No human or computer votes at play there. Just wins and losses. If we finish in the top 4 in big 12 standings, and still don't get in the NCAA tourney, I'll complain then.

I could not care less about **** Turdman of the Washington Times not giving us any votes as one of the voters in the AP Poll.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Ranking has zero to do with being picked for the NCAA tournament.

Being good enough to be ranked typically means being good enough to be picked but there is no use of rankings by the committee.

Cyclonz

Nov 23, 2009
Denver, CO
On February 6th it doesn't matter.

This - keep winning and ranking will eventually take care of it self. We needed teams ranked 21 to 25 lose and stink it up. I can't really argue with bottom 5.

21-Wisc
22-Mich
23-Indiana
24-Louisville
25- Harvard 20 - 2

It was just a tough week to crack the top 25.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Selection Sunday is in 34 days, and we have at least 9 games between now and then.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Rankings matter, but not for entirely concrete reasons. On the court, they shouldn't matter. Right now if we are ranked 26th to 300th it doesn't matter. Getting that number next to our name does matter though when it comes to public perception, however. It shows legitimacy to the general public. It gets every game we play on the ticker on ESPN. It increases exposure. It generates excitement in fans, which sells tickets.

CFH said today that one of the biggest reasons we are playing well is because of confidence. I think being ranked could only help our confidence level, and at the worst it would be a neutral effect. I think there is absolutely no truth to the people thinking that "flying under the radar" is a positive for the team and that once we are ranked we won't take unranked teams seriously.

Finally, it is a just a big milestone for the program and I would rather have it sooner than later. Perception is very important in college bball and even experts are influenced by the numbers next to teams' names.

Reactions: gwoodclone

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
i have a negative feeling that our guys might lose some of that "hunger" if they are ranked too early in the season.

Beat OSU, A&M and we'll be ranked when we go to Waco. If we finish the season 21-10 and aren't ranked, so be it. Rankings are just hype and methodical... just like the seeding in the tournament. What really matters is what happens on the court, and I think we'll be just fine.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
i have a negative feeling that our guys might lose some of that "hunger" if they are ranked too early in the season.

Beat OSU, A&M and we'll be ranked when we go to Waco. If we finish the season 21-10 and aren't ranked, so be it. Rankings are just hype and methodical... just like the seeding in the tournament. What really matters is what happens on the court, and I think we'll be just fine.

This is true. Being just outside the top 25 is not a bad place to be. The hunger to to move from number 27 into the top 25 is probably much stronger than the hunger to move from number 25 to number 23. End of the day, though, I agree with the assessment that rankings don't matter all that much.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
The biggest perk to being ranked is that your highlights are just about guaranteed to hit Sportscenter. Aside from that, there's little advantage, especially in early February as others have mentioned.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Conference standings are much more important. No human or computer votes at play there. Just wins and losses. If we finish in the top 4 in big 12 standings, and still don't get in the NCAA tourney, I'll complain then.

I could not care less about **** Turdman of the Washington Times not giving us any votes as one of the voters in the AP Poll.
I agree. I think Woody Fecalmatter's vote is much more important.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Ranking has nothing to do with being picked by the selection committee.

Yes, almost all of the time those that are ranked will make it because there are 25 ranked teams and 64 (now 68) make the tourney so it is simple math. Of the 68, 43 will not be ranked so it really is not critical to the selection process at all.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Rankings matter, but not for entirely concrete reasons. On the court, they shouldn't matter. Right now if we are ranked 26th to 300th it doesn't matter. Getting that number next to our name does matter though when it comes to public perception, however. It shows legitimacy to the general public. It gets every game we play on the ticker on ESPN. It increases exposure. It generates excitement in fans, which sells tickets. CFH said today that one of the biggest reasons we are playing well is because of confidence. I think being ranked could only help our confidence level, and at the worst it would be a neutral effect. I think there is absolutely no truth to the people thinking that

Agreed completely