Papa's Corner is open

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
I'm aware that $1.75 is a good price for a draw, but the bottom line is this establishment is what drove people's and lumpy's (home of the $.25 Mich Golden) out. It's located at the corner of Welch and Lincoln and offers no drink specials of any kind. It really seems like it isn't marketed toward the college crowd at all, which seems a little ridiculous given that its location is THE HEART of Campustown.

Oh yeah, this'll fail miserably.

Ah Lumpy's...:sad9cd:

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
To be fair, People's was probably the most expensive bar in Campustown when it was there, but the bands still packed them in. That is probably what this place it hoping for.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
If I am not mistaken the City of Ames held the owners to an UNBELEIVEABLE amount of new building codes which is what took the place so long to open. Most likely this cost them an absolute fortune. While I agree they will suffer without drink specials, I think they are going to have to be a little more spendy in order to break even. If the place is cool and provides good entertainment I beleive it can survive and eventually do fairly well. They have to keep their core customer in mind with every decison however. The students make Ames what it is. Period.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Ames "community" has shown its colors in many ways ... the 2002 scandel where the city tried to fine kids $1000 a piece for having an extra roommate is a classic example.

That living stuff is total ****. We had a 5 bedroom house but could only say 3 people lived there. Sure that makes sense.

RIP Lumpy's... I took my girl friend there for our second date and bought her a $.75 PBR

Can't beat PBR in a can at Lumpy's:daydreaming:

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
To be fair, People's was probably the most expensive bar in Campustown when it was there, but the bands still packed them in. That is probably what this place it hoping for.

Yeah, I think pints were more than $1.75 at People's.....at least when I was there.

bfeil

Apr 16, 2006
They will have to have beer specials soon. Even Old Main which is not the typical bar and more of a resturant has drink specials on their own brewed beer, such as dollor pints on wednesdays. It does seem at first that they will not survive but I am sure they will change their deals and it will be successful just because of location.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
It sounds like everyone's classic "I'll own a restrurant" dream. Glass plisner's to start over time will be replaced by plastic cups. Gourmet burgers and steaks will soon turn into burger night. We dont serve pitchers of beer will soon turn to 2fer Tuesday's. Campus town just isnt classy enough to have a place like this (I love Ames this is NOT a knock/PLUS I"VE NEVER SEEN THE PLACE/JUST MY IMAGINATION) but kids in Ames dont want that. WHERES THE DEMAND? I think these owner dreamed of a legends but a the corner of Lincon Way and Welch. But the great thing about Legends is its in ABOVE campus town. You look at the view of campus but dont see the drunk kid stagering down the street after FAC at 6:30.

Oh yeah what the hell are they going to do during the summer?

Last edited:

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Seemed like 25 cent wings and buck burgers...were the only busy nights at People's during the summer.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
People's was ok, but Lumpy's was the real gem. A nasty, disgusting, **** filled, yet somehow awesome place to drink.

Honestly though, $1.75 is cheap beer by any estimate. If they have a good atmosphere and good entertainment, they'll pack 'em in.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
People's was ok, but Lumpy's was the real gem. A nasty, disgusting, **** filled, yet somehow awesome place to drink.
Honestly though, $1.75 is cheap beer by any estimate. If they have a good atmosphere and good entertainment, they'll pack 'em in.

:notworthy:

I think Lumpy's and People's should get a star on the Welch Avenue walk of fame!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Hey only 8 months late from when they said it'd be open....I miss People's!

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I didn't really go to Peoples unless it was to see a decent band or chase a girl, but it was a decent college bar. It was a little pricier than the rest though. I do think if you are trying to run a classy, real glass, nice table, new floor type place in that location it just won't work.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Seemed like 25 cent wings and buck burgers...were the only busy nights at People's during the summer.

Buck Burgers hasn't been done right since Cy's closed for a year ... the old buck burgers were awesome and had these homemade style buns ... Paddy's took over for a little while but generally cheap-o-fied everything and when Cy's came back Buck burgers didn't :sad:

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale

I lived in Ames for 4 summers and no bar was busy during the summer. People's had great specials on Thursdays, pitcher of Rum & coke for $6, mmm gotta love "Red Neck Night".

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Doesn't seem like a wise business move on his part... very limited parking in the area, and who wants to park there when there are a bunch of drunks stumbling around? I'm sure there is demand for a place like that but certianly not in the heart of drunk collegeville

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Yeah they told me they were going for a classy establishment, but you can still have cheap drinks and be classy. IMO Capone's is classy for a campustown establishment, but they also have pretty decent deals. What pi$ me off is that the owners kicked People's out to pursure their own dreams, and it sounds like they don't have much of a clue. If they are depending on the older folks of Ames to come out to eat/drink there, well the lack of any parking will kill them.

God, I miss People's.

Actually, expensive drinks is a very, very, very good beginning of a business plan for a bar.

$1.10 draws was not expensive in 1987, how is $1.75 expensive, now?

And cheap drinks normally leads to "not classy". In fact, nothing says violent, throwing up, underaged patrons better than .25 draws.

But they probably will tank based on location, alone. Everyone else who has tried something there has.