Pac 12 to split with Larry Scott

kbud

Jan 9, 2012
I don't like this news. I would prefer that the PAC 12 continue to be led with arrogance and incompetence.

In keeping with the tradition of multiple first name Larrys I think they should go after Larry David.
Agreed, two first names or no one at all! I prefer Larry Larry though.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I doubt many Pac 12 fans are sad about this news

Conflicted. One of my best friends was recently released after 21 years of service to the conference, by none other than Larry. My friend was highly regarded in his field and his release was not well received around the league. I just inquired whether he'd want his old job back or not. Pending reply.
On the other hand Larry's debacle was good for the B12. A successor is much more likely to succeed because there's no way Larry's arrogance could be matched. Oh my how the world has changed this past year.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Population and TV market size is about to be meaningless compared to fan engagement very, very soon.

It may not become meaningless, but I think it will certainly be very much less important. Despite the large surrounding population, the Pac-12 network is struggling because apparently nobody is watching.

Some of you may remember the study from a number of years ago that tried to determine fan base size for the FBS schools. That study is getting to be around 8-10 years old, but...as a conference, the Pac-12 was at the bottom of the P5's with respect to fanbase size. And, given their issues, I doubt that status has improved.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Conflicted. One of my best friends was recently released after 21 years of service to the conference, by none other than Larry. My friend was highly regarded in his field and his release was not well received around the league. I just inquired whether he'd want his old job back or not. Pending reply.
On the other hand Larry's debacle was good for the B12. A successor is much more likely to succeed because there's no way Larry's arrogance could be matched. Oh my how the world has changed this past year.
Clever reply. Depends on who is kept. He feels his market value will increase the more inept the league office remains.

• Informative
Reactions: CtownCyclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It may not become meaningless, but I think it will certainly be very much less important. Despite the large surrounding population, the Pac-12 network is struggling because apparently nobody is watching.

Some of you may remember the study from a number of years ago that tried to determine fan base size for the FBS schools. That study is getting to be around 8-10 years old, but...as a conference, the Pac-12 was at the bottom of the P5's with respect to fanbase size. And, given their issues, I doubt that status has improved.

It's similar to the Rutgers to the Big10 issue. Focusing on population and ignoring the interest is very short sighted. There are some that care about USC when they're winning, but it's still insignificant when you consider the population of LA. When they're not winning, even that small fanbase is off the bandwagon.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
USC and UCLA though, have national brand potential appeal. If either of those schools gets a great coach, and starts winning 10+ games a year, they WILL be in the national eye (ie ESPN will pimp them) and that will significantly raise the status (and to a lesser extent, the revenue) of the Pac12.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

https://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

20eyes

May 15, 2020
It's similar to the Rutgers to the Big10 issue. Focusing on population and ignoring the interest is very short sighted. There are some that care about USC when they're winning, but it's still insignificant when you consider the population of LA. When they're not winning, even that small fanbase is off the bandwagon.
I get what you're saying but one informs the other to a large extent...ISU would have a helluva lot more fans if TOE never existed. I feel like we have interest now because of our dynamic players and coach but we can't hold interest the way USC holds interest simply by being USC.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

20eyes

May 15, 2020

But is it because of disinterest or lack of availability...? (that's an honesty question, is P12N hard to find?)

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
But is it because of disinterest or lack of availability...? (that's an honesty question, is P12N hard to find?)
Lack of availability. PACN never had a chance to be properly distributed to linear cable and satellite video providers. It had no leverage in carriage negotiations as an independent entity unlike BTN (bundled with other Fox channels) and SECN (bundled with other ESPN channels).

First order of business post-Scott is sell off PACN to a new entrant in live sports production like Amazon, YouTube or Apple. Then get them to bid on Pac12 inventory but in order to do so, an alliance with the Big 12 may be necessary to increase inventory leverage for both conferences and provide more inventory for the new entrant. Both the Pac 12 and Big 12 needs as many bidders as possible for their new TV deals, especially since ESPN is now all in with SEC & ACC inventory and Fox is heading that way with the Big 10. Both of them can now afford to lowball both the Pac12 and Big 12.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Cloneon

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Lack of availability. PACN never had a chance to be properly distributed to linear cable and satellite video providers. It had no leverage in carriage negotiations as an independent entity unlike BTN (bundled with other Fox channels) and SECN (bundled with other ESPN channels).

I think this basically boils down to lack of interest. If there was sufficient demand, carriers would have added the Pac-12 network and subscribers would have paid what the Pac-12 needed. Scott and the Pac-12 somehow determined that there would be a sufficient mass of viewers who would pay the rate that they needed to make money. They were grossly wrong. Carriers wouldn't add the Pac-12 network at the rate the Pac-12 wanted, and there were not sufficient viewers to force the carrier's hand.

Last edited:

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I really hope the Big 12 doesn't try something stupid, like throwing the Pac-12 a life preserver.

Iowa State would be in the Mountain West right now if the Pac-12 had their way in 2010.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought they took Colorado anticipating they were about to raid the rest of the Big 12 South and create a Pac-16 super-conference built around the academic prestige of the likes of Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, and Texas paired up with the athletics brand and money of Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Southern California, and Oregon.

Merging California, Texas, and Nike into a single conference... sounds like it would have been powerful.

But then it didn't happen, and they were left holding the bag. They did not want to go on with an odd number of teams, so they took Utah as the best MWC option remaining to even themselves up at a Pac-12.

This plan...

EAST = Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech
WEST = Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, and Washington State

...looks a lot better than what they actually got.

Zowie. That is scary. So glad that it didn't happen.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yes, but they have Bill Walton broadcasting their games. :jimlad:

I'll never forget him on the broadcast of our game:

"This is the best Iowa State team I've ever seen." [arrogant voice]
"How many times have you seen Iowa State play, Bill?"
"This is my first, Bob [or whatever his name was]." [just moves on]

Last edited: