Pac-12 getting rid of Divisions to determine FB Title Game

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
"Starting in 2022, the two teams with the highest conference winning percentage will face off in the championship game. This change would have resulted in a different Pac-12 Football Championship matchup in 5 of the past 11 years."

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
NICE!

SEC and ACC are sure to follow, which hopefully means the new Big 12 won't do divisions as well. Give us KU and KSU as protected rivals and cycle the rest through,

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I like this direction. The only caveat I would like is that the conference has to have strict guidelines for selection of their conference game participants that the NCAA arbitrate if necessary. I'm looking at you Big 10 and Ohio State during COVID.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
NICE!

SEC and ACC are sure to follow, which hopefully means the new Big 12 won't do divisions as well. Give us KU and KSU as protected rivals and cycle the rest through,

Those two are a bit more complicated as the conference is so large that the unbalanced schedules could have more to do with determining the selections than the quality of teams. So if Georgia can get a schedule that doesn't include Alabama, LSU, or A&M then they're going to be able to rack up a nice record. Where as a school that has to play all of those teams will be at a disadvantage.

For the PAC, it seems unclear how they'll address schedules with this new system. While unbalanced schedules are possible, it isn't as prevalent as with a 14 or 16 team league.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Those two are a bit more complicated as the conference is so large that the unbalanced schedules could have more to do with determining the selections than the quality of teams. So if Georgia can get a schedule that doesn't include Alabama, LSU, or A&M then they're going to be able to rack up a nice record. Where as a school that has to play all of those teams will be at a disadvantage.

For the PAC, it seems unclear how they'll address schedules with this new system. While unbalanced schedules are possible, it isn't as prevalent as with a 14 or 16 team league.

ISU, KSU, KU
WVU, UCF, Cincy
OSU, Tech, Houston
BYU, Baylor, TCU

Those are more than fair for everyone and maintains geography and rivals.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I'd think PAC could keep its current divisional scheduling as is and have top 2 in title game ... article states future scheduling "still under discussion" but I don't know if a 12-team league needs to tinker much with rotation, unlike SEC-size as you said.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
First time a conference has three 11-1 teams that split with each other i can't wait to see how that plays out. In the end the only fair solution would be to go full Friday Night Lights and have a coin flip.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
SEC can afford to have divisions if they want to.

Usually a top 10 team in both divisions and no result of one game would ever likely keep all of its teams out of top 4, definitely not out of top 8 or 12.

The other conferences really can potentially shoot themselves in the foot by sending an unranked or nearly unranked team into a conference championship game. It's disaster if that team wins and no big push for the other team if they beat a low ranked opponent.

Last edited:

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
First time a conference has three 11-1 teams that split with each other i can't wait to see how that plays out. In the end the only fair solution would be to go full Friday Night Lights and have a coin flip.

I mean we've already seen that with the 2008 Big 12 South. It can happen in divisions same as protected rivals.

Tie-breaker will go to the team with the best non-conference record and then the CFB playoff rankings.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Better problem to have than sending an unranked or #23 ranked team into a title game against a team on the edge of playoff birth.

In a future world of auto bids it's also bad to potentially send that team vs better teams from your conference. Sometimes a team just gets hot late but usually an unranked team is unranked for a reason.

Reactions: Hoggins

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I mean we've already seen that with the 2008 Big 12 South. It can happen in divisions same as protected rivals.

Tie-breaker will go to the team with the best non-conference record and then the CFB playoff rankings.
So you're letting ESPN choose.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
SEC can afford to have divisions if they want to.

Usually a top 10 team in both divisions and no result of one game would every likely keep all of it's teams out of top 4, definitely not out of top 8 or 12.

The other conferences really can potentially shoot themselves in the foot by sending an unranked or nearly unranked team into a conference championship game. It's disaster if that team wins and no big push for the other team if they beat a low ranked opponent.

Rumor has it you can still hear Michigan scoring touchdowns on Iowa when you walk by Lucas Oil Stadium.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
NICE!

As long as we don't go to ******* pods I'm cool with it.

pointingspidermans.gif

Talking post-OuT:
8 team schedule, you'd play 2 protected, and 6 of the other 9 every year.
9 game schedule, you'd play 3 protected, and 6 of the other 8 every year.

Alternately stated, you would skip 3 (or 2) teams every year, and play each other team 2 years out of 3 (or 3 out of 4). That's not too bad overall.

The wild-hair option is to do a 4 team CCG somehow, for novelty/interest/cash. Maybe you do the 8 game schedule, and the 9th week is the semis for the top 4 teams, and the other 8 play each other for grins as week 9. It's messy, but worth looking into, imho, given the potential revenue needs for the Big12.