Outside the men's room: All-Decade hoops

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Homan’s 19 and 20 was impressive in an otherwise not impressive game. I was told by an assistant on the team that Marvin Williams was talking during the game about how he was going to be a top 5 pick in the NBA draft. Homan turned to him and said, “well you better get in the weight room because I am kicking your ***!” Love it! One of my all time favorites

Also our two most CRUSHING loses happened on the same day this decade! I was at the Penn St game and that was tough to watch especially after what just happened to the men's team

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
By the way great write up Khaal! I was about to go crazy when I didn't see Stacey Frese on the list but than I saw your reasoning.....BUT..........

Fizer only played one year in 2000 as well.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
By the way great write up Khaal! I was about to go crazy when I didn't see Stacey Frese on the list but than I saw your reasoning.....BUT..........

Fizer only played one year in 2000 as well.

Understood. I just think that Fizer had a larger impact, relatively speaking. And to be honest, there were more great women's players that could push Frese out of the lineup than there were men's players to push Fizer out, imo.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
as crushing of a loss Mich St was, Hampton has to be honorable mention. I also agree that there is no way Kansas would have been 29-4, 14-2, reg season, reg season champs, post season tourney champs, and been a #2 in that same region as maybe the best #1.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think of Fizer as a 90s guy. I don't know why. I'd say Vroman also should be getting a little more love than he's received. He should be the first big guy off the bench at least and IMO he was better than Homan.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
as crushing of a loss Mich St was, Hampton has to be honorable mention. I also agree that there is no way Kansas would have been 29-4, 14-2, reg season, reg season champs, post season tourney champs, and been a #2 in that same region as maybe the best #1.

Trust me, it was in the running. But I've tried my best to erase that one from the hard drive.

The main reason I put MSU ahead of Hampton is because had ISU beaten Hampton they probably would've lost to G'town in the 2nd round anyway. This team had hit the wall and lost to Baylor in the first round of the conference tourney the week prior. And the MSU game was for a Final 4 berth...doesn't happen everyday.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I think of Fizer as a 90s guy. I don't know why. I'd say Vroman also should be getting a little more love than he's received. He should be the first big guy off the bench at least and IMO he was better than Homan.

It should be mentioned that the honorable mention was in no specific order.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Trust me, it was in the running. But I've tried my best to erase that one from the hard drive.

The main reason I put MSU ahead of Hampton is because had ISU beaten Hampton they probably would've lost to G'town in the 2nd round anyway. This team had hit the wall and lost to Baylor in the first round of the conference tourney the week prior. And the MSU game was for a Final 4 berth...doesn't happen everyday.

I agree, the team that lost to Hampton had not been playing well for a long time. I remember the home game vs a not very good Missouri team, and it was a struggle. The MSU game was basically for the national title in my mind. no way wisconsin or florida would have beat this team in the Final 4. Great article.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Great article Kirk. I really enjoyed it.
The ironic thing is that the most crushing losses for both the men and the women came on the exact same day. Just a few hours apart. March 25, 2000. What a horrible day.

Edit* Didnt see your post Clone85 before mentioning the same day thing.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Great article Kirk. I really enjoyed it.
The ironic thing is that the most crushing losses for both the men and the women came on the exact same day. Just a few hours apart. March 25, 2000. What a horrible day.

that was a horrible day. I didn't answer the phone for hours. One of my friends came over to check up on me, make sure everything was ok.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Homan’s 19 and 20 was impressive in an otherwise not impressive game. I was told by an assistant on the team that Marvin Williams was talking during the game about how he was going to be a top 5 pick in the NBA draft. Homan turned to him and said, “well you better get in the weight room because I am kicking your ***!â€￾ Love it! One of my all time favorites

To me that's not all that great of a thing for Homan to say. Iowa State lost by almost 30, the man he was guarding, Sean May dropped 24, and became the tournament's MVP.
Williams scored 17 as a Freshman, was selected 2nd overall, and has been a solid NBA guy, I think he just signed a pretty decent contract extension this year.
So again back to Homan he had a solid game, he may have thought it was funny, but look what happened.

ISUAg Grad

Dec 29, 2007
Corn Field
Homan may not have been the most talented guy mentioned but the guy had a motor that didnt quit. I would love to have him on this years team. What he did against the Tarheels in the tournament was impressive 19 points 20 rebounds against two future first round picks. Thats just a good ol small town Iowa boy with good work ethic not something you find everyday anymore.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I still remember seeing us lose to UNC in the 2nd round in 2005. Homan had 19 points, 20 rebounds and I was thinking "How could any NBA scouts NOT take notice of this against the best team in the nation?"

Kinda screwed up that nobody really did.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I still remember seeing us lose to UNC in the 2nd round in 2005. Homan had 19 points, 20 rebounds and I was thinking "How could any NBA scouts NOT take notice of this against the best team in the nation?"

Kinda screwed up that nobody really did.

My only thought was that a freshman was guarding him most of the game and that the rest of the ISU team didn't do much. Granted Homan still had a good game but that's what I thought.