OT: Cops Driving

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I worked summer maintenance for Ames Parks and Rec when I was in school.

On morning, I came in early to get some extra time in, maybe 6:00ish. I was in a city vehicle and running from the west side of Brookside park, over to the east side, just across the bridge on 5th (?) - maybe 150 yards.

A state trooper is heading west, whips around, pulls me over - for not wearing a seatbelt.

Goes on a 10 minute lecture (I sh!t you not) about how as a city employee I need to set an example, yada, yada, yada. This a$$ was classic, mirrored sunglasses, crew cut, the whole shabang. The words "what would people think if they saw me not wearing a seat belt" actually came out of his mouth. Yes Roscoe, a 20 year old kid in in work jeans and a t-shirt in a city P&R pickup are a comparable example to a state law enforcement officer.

I just sat there taking in the whole experience, thinking - well he can lecture me all he wants if he's just on a power trip and going to let me off.

Wrote out the ticket.

Un-believable.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
The cops driving skills are the least of my concern. I worry about the 10 million idiots out there talking on the cell phone, brushing their teeth and reading the rag all at the same time while bombing down 80-35 at 75mph.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
A buddy of mine got pulled over with two of us in the vehicle.

This is how the conversation went:

Officer-"Can I see your drivers license and registration?"

Buddy-Waved his right hand and said, "You don't need to see my identification."

Officer-"Excuse me?"

Buddy-Pointed at us and said, "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

We were cracking up. It was too funny. He still got the ticket, but it was funny.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
As a Pizza Driver at one time, I had several run-ins with the police, including an officer having dispatch call the store to open early so he could complain about the pizza the next day. I don't speed or disobey traffic laws (honest) so my "run-ins" were almost universally harassment.

I got pulled over twice Friday night because I had a burned out headlight AND taillight. The last officer that pulled me over flirted heavily with me, and asked me if we could trade hats. (I wear a fedora most of the time-It's a European thing). She ended up holding a flashlight and I taught her how to replace a headlight bulb. (I always carry a spare.)

I generally respect Police Officers, and there is a very funny "Police Department Answering Machine" WMV file floating around the internet that pokes some well-deserved fun at folks who bash the police.

Cops rock. Except for the scummy ones.

clonefarmer

Apr 16, 2006
That is truly funny SuperCy! Your friend's lucky the cop "got it".

Stay out of Mitchellville. My wife got a ticket from the local Barney Fife there for going 27 in a 20 zone.

I draw the line at semi-drivers on cell phones. I've even seen some turning corners holding one up to their ear.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I have a cousin who is a State trooper in Colorado. He tells me about a story that makes me laugh my arse off. He was working one night when he got called to a semi that was pulling a livestock trailer full of cattle. He has no farm background. He gets there and is trying to help get the cattle herded off the road out of traffic. He comes face to face with a big steer who starts to charge at my cousin. He starts running down the highway trying to get away while hearing the steer right behind him so he tries to get behind another vehicle and after he gets behind it notices that the steer is not behind him at all. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the caps that troopers where but there is the rope that ties around just above the brim and at the front there are two stubs of rope with peanut M&M sized buttons on the end. So as it turned out, he was running for his life because he thought the steer was behind him when it was actually the little buttons bouncing off the brim of his hat. He was pretty embarassed.