OT: Cops Driving

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Ok, lately this is a topic that has really started to irk me lately driving around Des Moines. For instance today I was running an errand over lunch in a 35 MPH zone probably going about 35-40 MPH myself and this cop car goes by me probably doing about 45 or a little more. No lights on and he weaves in and out of traffic some never using his turn signals, gets in the left turn lane and waits for the green and never uses a left turn signal in the process of turning left. All these are violations I'm sure this cop has given tickets out for at some time.

I notice several cops in the Des Moines and surrounding suburbs that drive just like this latley. I can understand if they are going to a call but usually they'd flash their lights if they needed to get there in a hurry. But if you are going to give any of us a ticket for driving like that let's not be hypocritical and have disregard for the rules of the road just because you are driving a squad car. Maybe there was a 2 for 1 donut sale going on that he was in a hurry to get to, I dunno...

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
or you see cops driving and talking on their cell phone at the same time. Nice example to be setting for the general public.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
90% of all cops account for 75% of the hypocritical population in the world. And BTW, 60% of the time...I am right everytime.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I will let you be the one that pulls over the cop to let them know of their infractions lol. The faster they go the faster I can go behind them :biggrin9gp:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I'm right there with you, that's a big pet-peeve of mine. DSM area cops are some of the worst drivers around. I actually saw a WDSM cop change lanes in an intersection in front of me a few weeks ago. No signal - nothing.

Some will say that unless they're in an actually emergency, they won't use sirens or lights as they can be distracting. Now, I have yet to hear a clear definition of what constitutes "not an actual emergency", yet requires doing 55 down Grand Avenue.

I've guessed that the call came in for the "Day old" doughnut sale at Hy Vee, but I could be wrong...

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
I was actually at the intersection of Merle Hay and Douglas the other day. I was stopped for lights and there was a DMPD squad car next to me in the turn lane. I looked over and what did I see? He was reading. How is that even possible? He had a paperback book that he propped up over the steering wheel as he was stopped. I couldn't believe it. I guess the laws don't apply to all of us.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I would love to find the article on this but a year ago I know the rag did a story on a Des Moines police officer driving an undercover vehicle at like 2 in the morning got pulled over doing 90 on I-235 by WDM police. Well they suspected he may have been drinking, called his boss and someone came and drove him home. No ticket, no sobriety test, nothing and he was off-duty in a government vehicle! So Marc Hansen did a story how if this ever happened to him to please call his boss to come give him a ride home and listed what an OWI costs which is like $5000-$6000 in costs by the time you factor in everything plus some expensive insurance.

My girlfriend's dad always tells me the story how he got a judge to let her sister off the hook once for a 90 mph ticket in a 55 because he said if Terry Brandsted's son could get off the hook for drunk driving then his daughter should be able to get off the hook for a speeding ticket. The judge bought it somehow and forgave the ticket!

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
I will let you be the one that pulls over the cop to let them know of their infractions lol. The faster they go the faster I can go behind them :biggrin9gp:

That's not true either....I got a ticket in Minneapolis for going 65 in a 60 when the cop ahead of me was going at least 70. He slowed down, got behind me, and pulled me over. He even wrote me for doing 60 in a 70, not 70 in a 60, but Hennepin County just amended the ticket when I went to fight it.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
That's not true either....I got a ticket in Minneapolis for going 65 in a 60 when the cop ahead of me was going at least 70. He slowed down, got behind me, and pulled me over. He even wrote me for doing 60 in a 70, not 70 in a 60, but Hennepin County just amended the ticket when I went to fight it.

I love Hennepin County, Bloomington cops are the best, so nice and polite when they give you a 39 in a 35 in your work vehicle during a speed trap. (**Side Note** My record officially erased all tickets 1 day prior.) I guess this nice Suburban driving officer was having no luck else where. :growl5cj:

At least you went to fight yours, I gave up on the phone with the cranky old DMV lady who acted like she was the only one in the world who had a work schedule to keep when I said 1030 on a Friday morning was not the best time for me to fight my ticket and tried to get one of their 330 slots.

Thank you for bringing this memory back up. :biggrin9gp:

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
It is not necessary for a cop to have his lights and sirens going for every call that he/she is responding to. It is entirely possible that the cop that you saw speeding was responding to a call. I agree that some cops stretch the law at times, but don't judge a book by it's cover. Unless of course the cop is reading a book while on duty, then you can judge all you want.

lloyd4cy

Nov 9, 2006
St. Louis
I like it when I get pulled over by a cop and he ask if I noticed the speed limit or if I was too busy talking on my phone. I must have interupted his conversation on his cell phone or else he wouldn't have been such a donkey/mule. Speaking of which when's the last time you were able to talk to a cop with out him being rude and short. I know it's a tough job at times but for crying out loud, if you hate the job that much quit!!!

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Just to throw out an example of cops that have been very helpful: we had a bunch of rumors going around at the school that I teach at that there was going to be a major gang fight. For the next few days we had on duty and off duty cops come in before, during, and after school in full uniform. Later I found that many did not get paid, that they were volunteering just to be there.
We figured it was just a rumor that spread a grew, it turns out that was right and nothing happened. But just having the cops on campus all day really made everyone feel safe and let us continue the day as normal as we could.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
From my personal experiences, the Des Moines Police are some of the best I've encountered. Usually quite friendly and helpful, especially considering what a thankless job they have. They also tend to let the minor infractions (like 39 in a 35) go.

The more you know.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Im with you, cytech. If a cop speeds by me, i go the same speed behind him.

nbleich

Apr 11, 2006
Parker, CO
They are terrible. Not just Des Moines, but surrounding areas as well. They think they are above the laws they are suppose to enforce. Besides that, they are never there when then need to be. People will pass me going mach 1 and if I tried that I would be pulled over in a heartbeat. Maybe that is just my luck.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

The Old Bait aand Switch

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I have always followed the chase the rabbit doctorine.
You go about 5-7 over or with traffic just follow everyone else. Till you get one or two cars that speed past you. Then you can just follow a little ways behind them and got a little faster.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Oh though funny story lol.

Both my cousins are state troupers here in iowa. My freshman year at ISU I had a relative pass that lived in marshaltown. I went there for the funeral and they were there.
We were talking about how fast someone needs to be going on the highway for them to bother to pull them over. And they both said that if they were parked usually 10-15 over depending on the road.
So on the way home right after I pass the duff exit I get pulled over by the story county sheriff. I was going 80 in the 65. He was nice enough to give me a ticket for 15 over. Also a warning for expired insurance(which I guess was pretty nice cause those tickets are a pain.

But it was still ironic that it happened right after I talked to my cousins lol.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron