Osun named Top 25 defender for 2022-2023 season

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Defense will be better, offense can’t be worse.
Seems unlikely that the offense can be better without Brockington and Hunter. But here is the case:
1. Better post up game with Osun and Ward vs Conditt. That doesn't take much since you're starting at basically zero. Also better at lobs and putbacks due to better rebounders there.
2. Gabe improves his jump shot a little or at least shot selection.
3. Grill hits in Hilton as well as he does on the road.
4. Tre King is a true stretch 4, and is a better combo there with Jazz than Enaruna was.
5. We get something out of Eli King as a FR.
6. Williams scores about as much as Hunter. Maybe not the same way, but 9ppg and 27% from 3 is not a huge hurdle. I doubt he facilitates as well.
7. Holmes turns into a poor man's Brockington and gets maybe 13ppg.
8. Live ball turnovers and blocked shots lead to more run outs.

Defensively, this is going to be an elite team. Great length, can switch almost every position. Offenses that live off pick and roll or high ball screens are not going to cause us issues. They are also going to be VERY Senior heavy, so experience is there. But they have very few guys that can create their own shot like Brockington and Hunter did. I also don't know that Osun or Ward can run the high post like Conditt did. So, TJ is going to have to change things up. They are going to have to grind out games unless someone like Grill gets hot. I'd guess it's going to be a rock fight every night. And they'll probably go through a lull like last year's team did halfway through the conference season just because guys are playing so hard every game.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Six of the projected top 25 defenders in D1 basketball are in the Big 12. Technically, TT and ISU account for 4 of the 6 looking at transfers. Wonder what the average Big 12 score will be - 31-30?

Reactions: Cjreimer

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This team will likely be better than last year's but end of season of results be worse (pretty damn hard to get to a S16).