Oregon State stream

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
A few years ago if the team doesn't show up to a dual they get run out of the building. Not having their A game and still getting the win is a huge improvement. Still tons of room to grow, but this team will be ready to compete in March.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
I thought that Parker was the better wrester in that match as he was in deep on multiple shots. Other kid played defense the entire time and won because of one cradle that was initiated off of a shot by Parker. I'd take Parker in that match again in a heartbeat.

Not sure what Coleman was supposed to do, but for 5 minutes that other kid was by far the aggressor. Coleman looked caught off gaurd. Did hear the announcers say that he was a JUCO National Champ.

PAC 12 broadcast was decent outside of the fact that they missed a lot of minutes of live wrestling to show replays of takedowns, scrambles, etc.

Overall, considering the state of the program a few years ago, a poor showing and still winning is something I'll take as a positive.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I thought that Parker was the better wrester in that match as he was in deep on multiple shots. Other kid played defense the entire time and won because of one cradle that was initiated off of a shot by Parker. I'd take Parker in that match again in a heartbeat.

Not sure what Coleman was supposed to do, but for 5 minutes that other kid was by far the aggressor. Coleman looked caught off gaurd. Did hear the announcers say that he was a JUCO National Champ.

PAC 12 broadcast was decent outside of the fact that they missed a lot of minutes of live wrestling to show replays of takedowns, scrambles, etc.

Overall, considering the state of the program a few years ago, a poor showing and still winning is something I'll take as a positive.

Noticed the same thing about replays over live wrestling. Still, as you said, nice to be able to see a pretty well put together broadcast in a road venue. Chertow is knowledgeable but my God, the guy never shuts up.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
There are going to be bad loses still with this team. They still have a ways to go to be a top 8 team. They are a much better dual team than a tournament team, but they need to be consistent and not have "off" matches. Coleman and Gremmel have to get stronger and hit the weight room.

Don't overlook the fact that these are both Iowa Hawkeyes and this meant something to coach Zalesky. He had his guys ready to go at home. They wanted to beat Iowa State last night. I think Jim and Kevin were teammates for a short time at Iowa.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I agree that some of our guys definitely seemed rather flat. I'm sure the 2 hr. time difference played a big part, but it also seemed like our guys didn't know how to handle the OSU funk.

Parker had no problem getting to Willits' legs. Willits just had an immediate funky counter for everything Parker threw at him and Willits rode hard. I'm sure Dresser and crew will coach him up from this one.

Coleman just looked rough out there in general, but it sounds like he works hard and will learn heaps.

On the upside, Mackall fought hard, Gomez dominated, Straw and Schu looked solid and well conditioned, Colbray was just plain slick, and Miklus picked apart Grant with ease.

Reactions: cyputz and ca4cy

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Also should mention that if that bob Coleman from Oregon State was a state champion in Oregon...then I should have moved out there in jr. High so that I could win state championships.

• Funny
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
That loss makes Coleman a little more borderline for an allocation than is totally comfortable. Especially since the Big 12 is going to lose an allocation at every weight from 165-184 due to Oklahoma State's lineup just announced lineup shift. So depending on how things shake out they could have anywhere from 3 to 5 allocations at the weight so it could end up mattering a lot if he earns one.

He was 25th in the first coaches panel and since then he's gone 3-2 with one of those wins being a MD over #28 Mantanona in the Oklahoma dual and the other two wins over unranked guys. His other loss was to Joe Smith and that one won't hurt him. But the unranked loss last night might drop him a couple spots. How far it drops him is going to matter because he's probably going to go 0-2 between this panel and the one for allocations (his two opponents remaining are both in the top 10) and the coaches may or may not punish him for that in the 3rd panel. And that'll also drop his win percentage down to 0.68. Which means that depending on his RPI and also on how they end up shifting the rankings and win percentage legs up or down at 174 this year he might end up just short.

I think he's going to end up just on the right side of getting an allocation but depending on the breaks he might also end up just on the wrong side.

• Informative
Reactions: ca4cy

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
There are going to be bad loses still with this team. They still have a ways to go to be a top 8 team. They are a much better dual team than a tournament team, but they need to be consistent and not have "off" matches. Coleman and Gremmel have to get stronger and hit the weight room.

Don't overlook the fact that these are both Iowa Hawkeyes and this meant something to coach Zalesky. He had his guys ready to go at home. They wanted to beat Iowa State last night. I think Jim and Kevin were teammates for a short time at Iowa.

They wanted to beat them??? I don’t know... that seems like an odd strategy.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
That loss makes Coleman a little more borderline for an allocation than is totally comfortable. Especially since the Big 12 is going to lose an allocation at every weight from 165-184 due to Oklahoma State's lineup just announced lineup shift. So depending on how things shake out they could have anywhere from 3 to 5 allocations at the weight so it could end up mattering a lot if he earns one.

He was 25th in the first coaches panel and since then he's gone 3-2 with one of those wins being a MD over #28 Mantanona in the Oklahoma dual and the other two wins over unranked guys. His other loss was to Joe Smith and that one won't hurt him. But the unranked loss last night might drop him a couple spots. How far it drops him is going to matter because he's probably going to go 0-2 between this panel and the one for allocations (his two opponents remaining are both in the top 10) and the coaches may or may not punish him for that in the 3rd panel. And that'll also drop his win percentage down to 0.68. Which means that depending on his RPI and also on how they end up shifting the rankings and win percentage legs up or down at 174 this year he might end up just short.

I think he's going to end up just on the right side of getting an allocation but depending on the breaks he might also end up just on the wrong side.

I wonder if we will see Coleman wrestle on Sunday at the last chance open to get his win % above .7 (assuming he loses the next 2 after that).

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Curious to see the records of Geer, both Smith, & Rogers. I think the Smiths & Geer both wrestled down to start the year, then went up when Weigel got hurt

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Also should mention that if that bob Coleman from Oregon State was a state champion in Oregon...then I should have moved out there in jr. High so that I could win state championships.

Schumacher is a State champ. We've always got lots of state champs in the room that never touch the lineup. Between all the various weight classes, school sizes, and states there's thousands of state champs every season. There's only about 700 starting spots available on D-1 rosters and only maybe 200 of them turn over each season. I wouldn't take lack of success at the D-1 level to mean somebody wasn't considered to be a tough out in high school.

Reactions: crawfy54

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
I wonder if we will see Coleman wrestle on Sunday at the last chance open to get his win % above .7 (assuming he loses the next 2 after that).

Maybe. The 0.700 can always shift up or down so it might not be worth trying to game that vs. going all in to peak and win over Lujan, since that would do more for his resume than a couple of wins over redshirts.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Curious to see the records of Geer, both Smith, & Rogers. I think the Smiths & Geer both wrestled down to start the year, then went up when Weigel got hurt

Jacobe Smith started the season at 174 and was 9-0 against D-1 guys. But you can't be ranked in the coaches panel unless you've wrestled at that weight in the last 30 days. So if he was able to make 174 against Iowa on the 24th he'd immediately jump in to the top 10, win or lose, and get an allocation. But Coach Smith's comments make it sound like non of those guys will be able to weigh in at their new weights until Big 12s, which is to late for us.

However, they could always just list Joe Smith at 174 for that ranking, get the Big 12 an allocation at the weight, and then have that spot fall back to the at large pool if they wrestle Jakobe. Which would probably be a better situation for Coleman since that'd mean one more at large spot to go around.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Yeah it didn’t sound like any would make the lower weight until Big 12. Terrible planning on OSU & Coach Smith, if they cannot get allocation for the team/conference

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Yeah it didn’t sound like any would make the lower weight until Big 12. Terrible planning on OSU & Coach Smith, if they cannot get allocation for the team/conference

Bad planning for us but doesn't matter much for them since with the guys they are moving they aren't worried at all about not stealing a spot. If Coleman hadn't lost last night it wouldn't matter as much since without that loss he'd be about 0.700 and almost surely in the top 27ish of the coaches panel even with an 0-2 record in the final two duals. When you're borderline you depend more on outside factors going your way.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
If one of the new weight guys gets hurt at Big 12, are they still eligible for an at large bid?

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
If one of the new weight guys gets hurt at Big 12, are they still eligible for an at large bid?

165: No for Joe Smith outside of a weird corner case (if the Big 12 gets 5 allocations and he beats Kiussis or Fogarty in the Quarterfinals, gets hurt in the semifinals, and then slides to 6th with the guy he beats in the Quarters making the top 5 then he'd meet 2 criteria and be eligible)
174: Jacobe Smith yes, all he needs is to wrestle one match at 174 and he's eligible for a ranking and have a +0.700 win percentage plus a win over the guy currently ranked #10 at 174
184: Yes, Geer went 5-0 at 184 before moving up so like Jacobe he's eligible for a coaches ranking as soon as he wrestles a match so if he injury defaulted to one spot short of an allocation he'd be eligible for an at large.

• Informative
Reactions: buf87

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
It is also interesting that in one of Coach Smith’s recent interviews, he says that it is tough to not go with the guy that has the auto qualifier.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Curious if these what Ja Smith, Geer & Jo Smith have been weighing in at, since most have wrestled down earlier in the season

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
It is also interesting that in one of Coach Smith’s recent interviews, he says that it is tough to not go with the guy that has the auto qualifier.

He was talking about 157 in that interview though, where they've got a choice between a guy ranked in the mid 20s and has likely earned a spot or a guy who hasn't and who wouldn't be ranked in the coaches panel if they switched. And also 157 is super thin for the conference so there aren't going to be extra spots to steal. It's a different situation when you're talking about (1) way deeper weights where the conference might get as many as six allocations and (2) Guys who are in the top ten and who you have zero concern about being able to steal a spot.