On That Note - It's All "2" Much (Part 1, 1962 & 1972)

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Another late discovery (for me) but I think one of the best of '72 (and largely unrecognized) from the classic era of rock. Twin leads. Harmony vocals. I love the bass.

Starts quietly but builds and monster riff kicks in around 1:14:

Last edited:

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Obviously, hit my sweet spot,.....9th & 10th grades.

WLS from Chicago during the day, clear channel KAAY, the mighty 1090 out of Little Rock after 10pm, "Beeker Street",...led to the revolution of FM to rock radio.

B^)

Last edited:
Reactions: matclone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
@Cydar beat me to it! But I’ll forge ahead, with my rambling preamble, and select 3 different tracks.

#1 Record
Big Star
(April 24, 1972)

“Power pop” existed prior to this, and continued after, but #1 Record is a signature nugget in the genre. Got some positive critical response at the time, but limited record-label distribution, seems like it could have been huge for AM radio, but wasn’t. Eventually became a retrospective “lost gem” and was influence on several alt/indie bands in ‘80s & ‘90s (The Replacements; Teenage Fanclub, among others). Also: Underrated album cover.

"I never travel far.... without a little, Big Star."

gbjames5

Oct 4, 2017
72 - Sophomore in HS and in a band. Too lazy to learn how to post song links, but favorite albums
The Eagles - first album with Take It Easy
Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street - Listen To The Music, Jesus Is Just Alright
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
America - Homecoming

trigger1

May 21, 2008
Ames
I know you said avoid live albums... going to try to make a case for this one. Recorded August 72, released December 72. Previously most known as a songwriter, with some recent top charting some songs performed by himself, the live recording of Hot August Night cemented Neil Diamond as a true performer and star. And arguably has the most outstanding opening ever. And was the first album released by the newly formed MCA group.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

Bands formed- Booker T. & the MG's, Herman's Hermits, The Rolling Stones
The Trashmen, Question Mark and the Mysterians The Routers

Disbanded The Monotones

Bands formed: ABBA, Alabama, Captain and Tennille E Street Band, The Jam, The Manhattan Transfer, Oingo Boingo, Styx, Twisted Sister, Van Halen XTC

Bands disbanded - Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jefferson Airplane, Martha and the Vandellas, MC5, Them (band), The Velvet Underground

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
1962 Births

Trace Adkins, Clint Black, Axel Rose, Sheryl Crow, Garth Brooks, Bon Jovi, MC Hammer, Paula Abdul,
Tommy Lee, Flea, Anthony Kiedis and Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

1972 Births
Billie Joe Armstrong, Rob Thomas, Timbaland, Common, Mark Hoppus, Aaron Lewis, Busta Rhymes, Notorious B.I.G., Vitamin C, Geri Halliwell, Eminem, Brad Paisley, Joey McIntyre

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Do not own this one, but it was big..."Made in Japan", Deep Purple, with the ultra-classic "Smoke On The Water", so much so that I made it a point to see the Lake Geneva shoreline when I was there for a wedding the weekend before 9/11.

Reactions: Cydar

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Also, what's a "On That Note" without a cheat? "Straight Up" by Badfinger was released in 1972 in the UK ('71 in the states)...so, take that "Baby Blue".