Oliver Martin Derangement Syndrome

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
giphy.gif

Weird that you would defend those guys. There are some really odd dudes over there.

• Dislike
Reactions: Patrick Riley

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Martin had 11 catches for 125 yards and 1 TD

For comparison, Landen Akers had 10 catches for 181 yards and 0 Tds.

Martin is a solid player but not someone ISU staff would be falling over themselves to land as a transfer. Now, if he has a big fall (40+ catches 400 yards, etc) and could be a grad transfer in the coming years, i could see them showing interest

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We didn't even offer him the first time and he's done nothing at a Big Ten school so I'm confused with what you're trying to say

None of that has anything to do with whether or not he could compete in the Big 12. I didn't say it'd be here but assuming, based on his first two seasons that he can't compete in the Big 12 is misguided.

• Agree
Reactions: jmb

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Out of curiosity. Why is this kid even being talked about. He clearly is an average receiver who plays for Michigan. He is not leaving. He is really not leaving to join the Hawkeyes.

• Funny
Reactions: Patrick Riley

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
We didn't even offer him the first time and he's done nothing at a Big Ten school so I'm confused with what you're trying to say

Pretty sure we tried to get involved with Martin late and he basically said thanks, but no thanks.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
None of that has anything to do with whether or not he could compete in the Big 12. I didn't say it'd be here but assuming, based on his first two seasons that he can't compete in the Big 12 is misguided.

I'm saying we didn't want him based off his lack of separation out of HS and it doesn't appear that has changed. I guess I should have said he wouldn't be able to compete at a Big 12 school like Iowa State. Maybe he'd see the field at Kansas or K State I guess

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm saying we didn't want him based off his lack of separation out of HS and it doesn't appear that has changed. I guess I should have said he wouldn't be able to compete at a Big 12 school like Iowa State. Maybe he'd see the field at Kansas or K State I guess

If our passing game is going to be the same as it has been, then no, he shouldn't ever come here. You're right there. Separation, though, doesn't seem to have prioritized all that highly here with few exceptions, though. It's more about size and it has to be if we're going to do what we've been doing in the passing game.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Out of curiosity. Why is this kid even being talked about. He clearly is an average receiver who plays for Michigan. He is not leaving. He is really not leaving to join the Hawkeyes.
Because some poster on HR under the name "partyhawk420" (no joke) said that he ran into him at a bar and said that he was transferring to Iowa.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If our passing game is going to be the same as it has been, then no, he shouldn't ever come here. You're right there. Separation, though, doesn't seem to have prioritized all that highly here with few exceptions, though. It's more about size and it has to be if we're going to do what we've been doing in the passing game.

Agree with the size thing. Problem for him is he's not very big and he can't create separation. He's not small but it's not like he can make plays like Jones, Milton, etc

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I don't think that's right. He camped and we still didn't offer

That is true. And then it seems like he blew up a bit, but I don't follow football recruiting so I could be wrong.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Agree with the size thing. Problem for him is he's not very big and he can't create separation. He's not small but it's not like he can make plays like Jones, Milton, etc

I think he's pretty much Jones. Now, we'll see. We haven't really had much for receivers who create their own separation. Milton is about it.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
TOTALLY the same thing. I must have missed where Oliver Martin was the #1 recruit in the nation though.
You seem to have a hard time connecting the dots, so let me help you. Adults on a message board having an issue with a high profile kid from their hometown going to another school and making a big deal out of it.

Just wait till this Lipsey picks someone other than ISU and we will relive it all over again.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
You seem to have a hard time connecting the dots, so let me help you. Adults on a message board having an issue with a high profile kid from their hometown going to another school and making a big deal out of it.

Just wait till this Lipsey picks someone other than ISU and we will relive it all over again.

You seem to have a hard time understanding extenuating circumstances. I'll help break it down for you.

-As Gunner has already stated, Oliver Martin was not the #1 recruit in the nation.

-Oliver Martin's parents were not professors at Iowa.

-Oliver Martin did not invite the Iowa band to play at his commitment announcement.

Losing out on Barnes sucked enough, but couple that with his connections to the hometown school and the way he went about his announcement would make any school's fan base lose it.

The inevitable loss of Lipsey will not be made nearly as big of a deal as Barnes.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Yep sure got it.