Old Mediocre Has-Been Desperate To Appear Relevant; aka JBo To Return

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not completely against NIL, but I think it just creates more potential for under the table payments.

My real hope is that our politicians would get involved to force the NBA to allow 18 year olds or HS grads to enter draft. The NBA is a highly profitable entity subsidized by taxpayers. If elite HS players could sign an NBA contract, then they could maximize marketing of their NIL.

IMO each NBA franchise should have at least 1 minor league team. Also there would be 2 drafts. A 2 round draft for HS entries and the a 2 round draft for college/international.

I also feel kids that bomb going to NBA out of HS should later be able to accept college scholarship as long as they are under 23.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
They have a legit beef. If he returns, he's holding back other players that are clearly better than him and would just be a huge distraction.
It's Frans fault if Jorbo is holding other players back. It's Frans fault if Jorbo comes back for year 6.

End of the day, I am feeling great that mad clown got extended.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Not completely against NIL, but I think it just creates more potential for under the table payments.

My real hope is that our politicians would get involved to force the NBA to allow 18 year olds or HS grads to enter draft. The NBA is a highly profitable entity subsidized by taxpayers. If elite HS players could sign an NBA contract, then they could maximize marketing of their NIL.

IMO each NBA franchise should have at least 1 minor league team. Also there would be 2 drafts. A 2 round draft for HS entries and the a 2 round draft for college/international.

I also feel kids that bomb going to NBA out of HS should later be able to accept college scholarship as long as they are under 23.

I'm in a similar mindset - why ruin college athletics (primarily MBB) when you could tackle it a different way by making it easier to move to the NBA (or developmental league), and even possibly back down in certain scenarios? Let those few that could actually successfully make that early transition go for it without making the rich schools have all the leverage.

If you stop the (albeit BS) front of these being students-first and allow for compensation, then I think it's fair to question why things like grade requirements, APR, graduation rates, scholarship compensation, etc should also matter any longer. You're basically opening up college athletics to be a minor league concept.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and isucy86

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm sure this has been mentioned several times in this thread already, but does anyone else find Jorbo crying NIL rights as a sorry attempt to stay relevant (as if he ever was) on the college basketball scene? Not saying he's wrong in standing up for something like this, but it comes across as really insincere to me. Why a player like Jorbo, who has been declining since his FR season and struggles to do anything well since his injury, thinks he needs to be the voice of college athletes in this matter is a major head scratcher to me. I'm not sure what he thinks he could stand to gain or could have gained. Being loud about it on social media at least helps him cling to that thread of being labeled a college athlete, he seems fully cognizant of the fact that he is living out the final days of his glory years. The sun is getting pretty low little fella.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
His character and behavior is the reason his accomplishments get overlooked. He's a douche first and athlete second. Hard to respect somebody that does and says a lot of the **** he does that goes way beyond just swagger.

I think this Tweet is a perfect example. It’s one thing to be outspoken in support of NIL issues. It’s another thing to think the Iowa Legislature is going to be compelled to act on this pending legislation because him coming back hangs in the balance. Comes off a wee bit self important.

Reactions: carvers4math

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think that's pretty much what we have right now. Look at the top recruiting classes every year. There's a heck of a lot of consistency, there. College football is already absolutely filthy. I don't think there's any changing that. There's too much money involved. So if it's going to be filthy, let the players get their piece if they can.

I asked JK Dobbins what he got for going to tOSU when I met him at a golf tournament out here. He said he got nothing for going to tOSU but the lesser school boosters would have given him a bunch of money and stuff to go to those schools; I assumed he meant Baylor. Going to tOSU, OU, Bama is a bet on yourself getting to the NFL and making some real ******* money.

• Informative
Reactions: CyclonesRock

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think this Tweet is a perfect example. It’s one thing to be outspoken in support of NIL issues. It’s another thing to think the Iowa Legislature is going to be compelled to act on this pending legislation because him coming back hangs in the balance. Comes off a wee bit self important.

JBo has no self awareness. He thinks he is way more important than he actually is,

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I asked JK Dobbins what he got for going to tOSU when I met him at a golf tournament out here. He said he got nothing for going to tOSU but the lesser school boosters would have given him a bunch of money and stuff to go to those schools; I assumed he meant Baylor. Going to tOSU, OU, Bama is a bet on yourself getting to the NFL and making some real ******* money.

I have always thought this to be the case. The blue bloods don’t have to cheat to get the best players. The mid-tier teams that are dirty is where the money is. Obviously exceptions to everything.

Reactions: baagoe