OL for next year, who looks to be ready?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There's a chance Campos comes back with a medical RS.

Before the season started I didn't think there was a chance that he would file for a medical RS but if things continue to trend in the right direction I could see him wanting to play one more year so he can be part of something truly special. It will all depend on the feedback he gets at the end pf the season.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Cyclad, have you heard either way if Campos is interested in another year? Is he in grad school now?

Appears like the OLine is getting numbers and experience improvement each year so far, right?
I have not. I will try to ask a good source tomorrow, if I remember. So, just an opinion - with his injury history and strong accademics I would guess he will move on with his life. I do think the numbers are improving obviously. There have been some recruiting misses, but there certainly are some high potential underclassmen. We don't tend to get many kids who are truly ready to play until being in the program for a couple years.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I would expect our OL to look like this

LT-Foster
RG- Oge
C-JGJ
RG-Knipfel
RT- Meeker

Hudson and Mueller first off the bench and Windham backing up JGJ.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Knipfl has been outstanding this year.
I wouldn't go as far as saying outstanding. Interior OL has been a weakness and the only place we can get any running game going is left side with seal blocks and Garcia getting to the second level. There is a reason that Joel Lanning runs left every single time and Montgomery gets and extra yard or two per carry going left and it isn't because they are poulling Knipfel a lot...they aren't

Pass pro has been good but there need to be a much better push from the OL.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
It's really apparent that Rhoads struggled with Oline recruiting. We'll need some young guys to get ready quickly

I'm hoping the staff gets a few more impact JC and 5th year guys (it's too bad Rogers decided to waste away at UNC).
Recruiting wasn't as big an issue as keeping them healthy. The number of OL that went down in the Rhoads era was sickening. Someone should have arrested McKnight for assault

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I would expect our OL to look like this

LT-Foster
RG- Oge
C-JGJ
RG-Knipfel
RT- Meeker

Hudson and Mueller first off the bench and Windham backing up JGJ.

This would be a Man Sized line.

6'5.5" 309 on average and that's without the extra year in the weight room

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Absolutely love the improved QB protection that the O-line has been providing, both this year and last. We just need to get over the top of the mountain on run blocking...almost there. I would think that as the line gains more experience and depth that this too will happen.

• Agree
Reactions: tazclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Recruiting wasn't as big an issue as keeping them healthy. The number of OL that went down in the Rhoads era was sickening. Someone should have arrested McKnight for assault
It was both. Manning and Co have done wonders filling an empty pipeline.

• Agree
Reactions: tazclone

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
It was both. Manning and Co have done wonders filling an empty pipeline.
Agree. The recruiting of undersized players and growing them was a mistake but how we grew them was a bigger mistake in my opinion.

Take a guy like Dagel. 6'7" 245 as a FR 290 as a RS FR. Threw 45 pounds on him in a year and then wonder why his joints failed him. The guy was held together with duct tap his SR year.

Look at all the knee injuries we had in Rhoads tenure. I used to have a list I posted on Cyclone Report but it was over 13 OL that missed timee due to knee injuries in Rhoads tenure.

Guys were capable...heck Rhoads last year the OL of Campos, Oni/Taiese, Lalk, Burton and Dagel were a damn good run blocking squad. Couldn't pass block worth a damn because half of them had blown out a knee or two.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I don't know, the presumed best young coach in the country took Yancy with him. That said, Rhoads had awful luck with injuries. Taise, Burton, Dunning, Campos, and the list goes on and on. I don't know if it ever changes anything but there was never any continuity because of the constant shufflling of guys.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I don't know, the presumed best young coach in the country took Yancy with him. That said, Rhoads had awful luck with injuries. Taise, Burton, Dunning, Campos, and the list goes on and on. I don't know if it ever changes anything but there was never any continuity because of the constant shufflling of guys.
the presumed best young coach in the country also had numerous knee injuries at Houston in his short time there. And now has the same issue at Texas.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...-line-injuries-connor-williams-patrick-hudson

Three starters down on the Texas OL...two knees and an ankle. Perhaps it is just coincidence that OL injuries follow Yancy around but this is his third stop in a row. Ynacy has produced more OL injured knees than he has NFL OL. Far more

And I sure as hell don't buy him being the best young coach

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Agree. The recruiting of undersized players and growing them was a mistake but how we grew them was a bigger mistake in my opinion.

Take a guy like Dagel. 6'7" 245 as a FR 290 as a RS FR. Threw 45 pounds on him in a year and then wonder why his joints failed him. The guy was held together with duct tap his SR year.

Look at all the knee injuries we had in Rhoads tenure. I used to have a list I posted on Cyclone Report but it was over 13 OL that missed timee due to knee injuries in Rhoads tenure.

Guys were capable...heck Rhoads last year the OL of Campos, Oni/Taiese, Lalk, Burton and Dagel were a damn good run blocking squad. Couldn't pass block worth a damn because half of them had blown out a knee or two.

That's a good point. The last year of Rhoads had a line that would rival anything directly before him without much for coaching. With this staff and better health, 4-5 of those guys could have had a shot at the NFL. Oni with Tom Manning coaching him is a scary thought.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
the presumed best young coach in the country also had numerous knee injuries at Houston in his short time there. And now has the same issue at Texas.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...-line-injuries-connor-williams-patrick-hudson

Three starters down on the Texas OL...two knees and an ankle. Perhaps it is just coincidence that OL injuries follow Yancy around but this is his third stop in a row. Ynacy has produced more OL injured knees than he has NFL OL. Far more

And I sure as hell don't buy him being the best young coach

So has pretty much every S&C coach in history.

And I said Herman was the presumed best young coach out there and he'd been around top tier programs and had his pick of guys with the exception of maybe 10.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Don't forget Josh Mueller (6-6, 309, #Fr), who played last week when Garcia went out with an ankle injury.

Campbell said that Garcia would probably play this week, returned for the last drive although the ankle injury initially looked bad. BUT, it wouldn't seem surprising if Garcia's ankle limited his practice/ability to perform, and that Mueller will see the field again this week, if not actually start.

Mueller also played at least one snap against UNI, in the backfield of the power play when Lanning scored but the play was negated by a penalty.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I have not. I will try to ask a good source tomorrow, if I remember. So, just an opinion - with his injury history and strong accademics I would guess he will move on with his life. I do think the numbers are improving obviously. There have been some recruiting misses, but there certainly are some high potential underclassmen. We don't tend to get many kids who are truly ready to play until being in the program for a couple years.
No school gets that often. It is very difficult for an O Lineman to play first, and sometimes second year, but it does happen some.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
That's a good point. The last year of Rhoads had a line that would rival anything directly before him without much for coaching. With this staff and better health, 4-5 of those guys could have had a shot at the NFL. Oni with Tom Manning coaching him is a scary thought.
Oni is witht he Raiders
Lalk got a shot
Burton would have if he didn't blow out a knee
Dagel could have if he wasn't destoyed
Campos might have a shot

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
So has pretty much every S&C coach in history.

And I said Herman was the presumed best young coach out there and he'd been around top tier programs and had his pick of guys with the exception of maybe 10.
Not at the rate McKnight has. He loses 3+ per year at every stop to joint issues. It is uncanny how injuries follow him around.
Before Rhoads was fired, a couple years ago I went through every OL recruit brought in under and developed by McKnight...every one of them had a knee or back injurexcept two...Campos and Casper, who transferred out.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Don't forget Josh Mueller (6-6, 309, #Fr), who played last week when Garcia went out with an ankle injury.

Campbell said that Garcia would probably play this week, returned for the last drive although the ankle injury initially looked bad. BUT, it wouldn't seem surprising if Garcia's ankle limited his practice/ability to perform, and that Mueller will see the field again this week, if not actually start.

Mueller also played at least one snap against UNI, in the backfield of the power play when Lanning scored but the play was negated by a penalty.

I thought Larson played most of the time when Garcia went out?

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
If we can add Campos back in for an extra year....which would be very much to his benefit in demonstrating a full recovery from injury and getting stronger, better, more NFL ready....and then add a solid JUCO contributor, the OL will be worthy of some real excitement. With Montgomery back and the return of Nwangwu, our ground attack could become outright fearsome.

Also, while RS frost like Hudson will be hard to keep off the field, it would still be greatly to their benefit to play a relief role behind some very experienced upper class men.

As exciting, the DL will also be a strength next year with what looks to be some tremendous depth.

You build a consistent program by being strong at the line of scrimmage...and by playing low mistake, disciplined football....that is how Snyder made KSU into a Big 12 power from being a program WORSE than our own. Campbell has us on that track...all we have to do, honestly, is pay him and his staff whatever it takes to keep them here long term. Frankly, if we want a real program that consistently plays with the big boys, money can be no object.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Benny34 and Brandon

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

Larson came in for Garcia and Mueller is not on the participation report for OU. Are you sure he played Saturday?

Your right on the UNI the penalty was actually on Mueller.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron