OL for next year, who looks to be ready?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Next year ISU will need to replace Campos and Garcia on the OL. I really like the addition of Josh K. this year, but the fact that he basically stepped into a starting position is a little concerning. So, who are the likely prospects to fill the gaps next year?

Does anyone know anything about the status of Oge? Seems like the coaches were expecting him back a couple weeks ago.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Next year ISU will need to replace Campos and Garcia on the OL. I really like the addition of Josh K. this year, but the fact that he basically stepped into a starting position is a little concerning. So, who are the likely prospects to fill the gaps next year?

Does anyone know anything about the status of Oge? Seems like the coaches were expecting him back a couple weeks ago.

I love the fact that we are returning 3 guys who will have at least 1 season of experience. And imagine in 2 years :).

As someone mentioned, Rob Hudson as a RS Freshman. You'd think Sean Foster would be ready to step up and compete. Alex Kleinow as a RS Freshman maybe. How bad is Oge Udeogu's injury? He was all set to be the starter this year, so if he recover, he should be there.

I'd say there is a good chance of a juco or transfer taking one spot.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Gotta think it’s foster and oge.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Oge will only have one year left to play after this season is over, no matter if he plays this season or not, correct?

If so, that's a real bummer for him, and ISU too.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Yeah Campbell said this was his best class of oline that came in this year. Will not be surprised to see 2-3 push for time as RSFR

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Any word on how Josh Mueller is looking? I thought he was going to end up being a real good one for us. A mauler type.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
My memory -- and it might be faulty -- is that during fall camp guards Udeogu and Knipfel were in a full-fledged battle to start. And, like Udeogu and Knipfel in preseason, during the season tackles Meeker and Foster have split duties, they're co-starters.

Another recollection from earlier this fall: Kleinow was said to be the best performing young lineman (he's a tackle) and Hudson right behind him impact-wise (at guard).

So, we've got four starters back essentially in 2018:
* C Good-Jones (rjr.)
* T Meeker (rjr.)
* T Foster (rso.)
* G Knipfel (jr.).
Plus G Udeogu (rsr.), out this fall with an elbow injury.

Among the frosh, first up would appear to be:
* T Kleinow (rfr.)
* G Hudson (rfr.)

Others returning who have been on this fall's two-deeps:
* G Mueller (rso.)
* C Windham (rsr.)
* ? Kodanko (rsr.)

• Informative
Reactions: CyCloned

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Any word on how Josh Mueller is looking? I thought he was going to end up being a real good one for us. A mauler type.

Meuller listed at backup right guard currently. 6-6 309 as a redshirt freshman.

Foster - Oge/Hudson/Mueller - Good-Jones - Knipfel - Meeker

Oge would be the only senior of that group. Add in 2 of the scholarship redshirts (Newell, Kleinow, Bolton, Nogaj) that could push for time.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Meuller listed at backup right guard currently. 6-6 309 as a redshirt freshman.

Foster - Oge/Hudson/Mueller - Good-Jones - Knipfel - Meeker

Oge would be the only senior of that group. Add in 2 of the scholarship redshirts (Newell, Kleinow, Bolton, Nogaj) that could push for time.
These are my thoughts exactly. The coaches have said really good things about Kleinow and Hudson already, and have called the 2017 OL class the best they've had.

Really happy that we will have Foster, JGJ, Knipfel and Meeker all for at least two more years after this year.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Thanks to all of the posts so far - very informative. This is definitely exciting for the future! How amazing is it that we don't have to look at a line-up of senior OLinemen that are below average & see absolutely no depth behind them and worry how the offense will be next year. This staff has been amazing so far - was impressed at how improved our Oline looked against OU. OU's defensive front is really good - and our guys absolutely manhandled them on that last drive!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
My memory -- and it might be faulty -- is that during fall camp guards Udeogu and Knipfel were in a full-fledged battle to start. And, like Udeogu and Knipfel in preseason, during the season tackles Meeker and Foster have split duties, they're co-starters.

Another recollection from earlier this fall: Kleinow was said to be the best performing young lineman (he's a tackle) and Hudson right behind him impact-wise (at guard).

* C Good-Jones (rjr.)
* T Meeker (rjr.)
* T Foster (rso.)
* G Knipfel (jr.).

* T Kleinow (rfr.)
* G Hudson (rfr.)

* G Mueller (rso.)
* C Windham (rsr.)
* ? Kodanko (rsr.)

Great insight. As someone else pointed out, it will be good to have several starters and contributors back next year. It's strange how ISU could have no starts back for Campbell's first year, and then needed to replace 3 guys again this year, although one of the replacements is Campos. That freshman class looks huge in terms of physical size and the number of guys in that class. Not a lot of guys in the current Junior class, so a JC guy might be an option if development is not going as well as hoped. Knipfel was a very lucky last second get by CMC.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Hudson is probably the obvious answer. Jeff Nogaj and Jacob Bolton both have the size too.

I'm guessing he'll redshirt, but if Downing is as good as advertised, he could be another.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It's really apparent that Rhoads struggled with Oline recruiting. We'll need some young guys to get ready quickly

I'm hoping the staff gets a few more impact JC and 5th year guys (it's too bad Rogers decided to waste away at UNC).

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

* C Good-Jones (rjr.)
* T Meeker (rjr.)
* T Foster (rso.)
* G Knipfel (jr.).

* T Kleinow (rfr.)
* G Hudson (rfr.)

* G Mueller (rso.)
* C Windham (rsr.)
* ? Kodanko (rsr.)
Another great post Valley!
My sources said immediately that Oge was out for the year. We shall see.
I could be wrong, but I think Campos could get another year.
I look for us to push hard for the OL guy from Iowa Western ... I think he came there from Murray State. Stood by him at a spring practice this year ... big boy. I think we need one Juco that can contribute. Hard to find. I think we have some potential good players but they need more time to develop.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I think Campos could get another year.

Cyclad, have you heard either way if Campos is interested in another year? Is he in grad school now?

Appears like the OLine is getting numbers and experience improvement each year so far, right?

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
There's a chance Campos comes back with a medical RS.
Unless he draws some serious interest from NFL teams. Then if I were him, I'd roll the dice on the draft instead of coming back for one more year.