Oklahoman's Berry Tramel talks Big 12 experiences ...

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Austin's just another big American city with a university. There's nothing collegiate about going there. I enjoyed my stay as well. But it's simply not a college town.
Austin is a ton of fun. Can only imagine what it could be like if they were good.

Oklahoma has the best game day experience and some of the best fans in my opinion.

TCU, KU & Baylor towards the bottom.

WVU, ISU, OSU, Tech & KSU somewhere in between.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
We "care" about Minneapolis because the interstate has specific destination standards and its the next town over 100k

That statement struck me really odd as well. There's a sign outside of where I live that says how far it is to Madison, WI. Believe me, it's not because anybody gives a **** how far away Madison is.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
"The Big 12 needs to intercede"

Holy smokes.....man means business! Calling for the conference to throw their weight around

Send us some of that $300 million they spent on the corner for OU. I'm sure they'd be happy to add some AC and perhaps a few outlets.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
"The Big 12 needs to intercede"

Holy smokes.....man means business! Calling for the conference to throw their weight around

For many years, ISU has been known, among the media, as the worse place to visit because of our press box.

Time to give the press some enjoyable conditions instead of making it a torture session.

Not saying to rebuild the press boxes, right now, but if we are going to spend 80 mill on our next facilities upgrade might as well carve out some space and upgrades so the press actually wants to come up to Ames and cover us.

It should not be that expensive to give them some AC and good food to cover a game and some comfortable space for them to do their job. Every bit helps in our media driven sport.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
"Waaah, the press box isn't air-conditioned!"
"Waaah, I can't write my story in the press box after the game!"
(So when did the lack of A/C become a non-issue?)
"Waaah, the climate-controlled work area located centrally between the ISU and OU postgame press conferences doesn't have an outlet exactly where I want it to be!"
(Typical media attitude.)

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Sweating is good for you. Our local fire chief said the department loves the sauna tax payers provided and they go work up a sweat to get the toxins from the fires out.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
AMES, Iowa

Stadium experience: Jack Trice Stadium is just a patch of grass with concrete stands on each side and a glittering football complex in one end zone. But still, it's a great atmosphere, thanks to the Cyclone fans. With no football tradition, Iowa State people still show up and cheer loudly. Even on cold days, the tailgating is supreme. Ten minutes before kickoff, you'll think the crowd is scant. Then here come the Cyclone faithful, filling up the stadium.

Where to eat: No Big 12 town is as closely associated with a single restaurant as Ames is with Hickory Park. You don't think of barbeque and Iowa as any kind of tandem, but it works. Hickory Park opened in 1970 and quickly became a Big Eight tradition that continues today. Last time I was there, it was Halloween weekend, and the staff – and a good many of the patrons – were in costume. It was grand fun.

What to do: Not a lot. I love Ames and I love Iowa, but everything in Ames revolves around the university. If you need something besides the ballgame, make the drive to Iowa, pull off I-35 in Madison County and visit the bridges that Clint Eastwood made famous.

Why go? This is a little like the West Virginia trip, in that you get the feeling of being somewhere different. On the 30-mile drive from Des Moines to Ames sits an I-35 mileage sign that reads “Minneapolis 230.” When you care how far it is to Minneapolis, you know you're in a strange land. The game-day experience is similar. It's not Tennessee or Texas. But it's a place where they care about football even when they've been given little reason to care.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5592719?access=5bffb851a4300b6763cbd27101dc18a9

Honestly I read this a a glowing review for our love of the program - nothing else.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I'm not one to get very worked up over someone in the media's feelings, but it does seems a little lame to not have AC in the building. Sitting in a hot stale room, I know that would be difficult to work in. No need to spend millions, but putting something in there would seem to be a good idea.

Help Support Us

Become a patron