OK, you know this would come....09-10 MBB lineup?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I see Christopherson playing the 2 more than Lucca by the end of the year. Purely a hunch. Actually, those 2 may play based on who has the hot hand.

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
Sorry, everyone, but I need to vent...

This has to be my least favorite thread/posts ever on this message board. Seriously, is it necessary for 100 people to post the same vague and completely ****ing obvious thing.

For example..."PG - Colvin/DG/Buckley"

WOW! What a great basketball mind! You just listed our three point guard options when asked about our line-up! Thanks captain obvious! :smile: You mean Brackins won't be playing point? Glad you set us straight on that...

Seriously, if you want to throw out your starting 5, fine. Listing each player that could possibly play a position? What's the point?

Sorry...I don't know why this bugs me so much...

Last edited by a moderator:

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

This has to be my least favorite thread/posts ever on this message board. Seriously, is it necessary for 100 people to post the same vague and completely ****ing obvious thing.

WOW! What a great basketball mind! You just listed our three point guard options when asked about our line-up! Thanks captain obvious! :smile: You mean Brackins won't be playing point? Glad you set us straight on that...

Seriously, if you want to throw out your starting 5, fine. Listing each player that could possibly play a position? What's the point?

Nice rant, but I think most people use the format First String/Second String/Third String when they do this.

Feb 20, 2009
I don't think that this one is even close.

PG Garrett
SG Christopherson
SF Gilstrap
PF Brackins
C Hamilton

VERY good lineup IMO. Buckley, Colvin and Boozer backing up at the two guard spots, Lucca a backup at the 3, JVB, Pomlee and Dendy backups at the 4/5.

I like this one. I have one variation to throw out for discussion. IMO, if this group can step up on defense and ballhandling, they could be quite dangerous.

PG Garrett
SG Gilstrap
SF Brackins
PF JVB
C Hamilton

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Everyone seems to be giving Lucca a lot of love. His knee issue had better start improving and he better be do some sort of dribbling exercise as we speak. By mid season I'd like to see a little zone D and this lineup.

PG Garrett
SG Gilstrap
SF Dendy
PF Brackins
C Hamilton

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Here's a hint. Use the first name in each group as your starters. Lesson over.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
One thing to remember, I think that the team is going to Europe this summer, so we'll see a lineup start developing then.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Frustrating thing is, when I look at our lineups, I still think we should have been better than we were last season. Likely not NCAA team, but at least NIT. I just don't know why we continued to underachieve. This must get corrected this season and with some additional athletic guys on the team, I think it can.
I sometimes feel the same, then realize I am factoring in assumed improvement by the returning players. Remember we had to start Petey this past year, as well as play Sean, because DG and Buckley, were not consistent. Also Lucca, Ham and JVB were in their first year. Even if John Wooden was the coach, we would have been inconsistent. The only player that I was suprised by was DG. Maybe he will always be best suited by being the 3rd or 4th option. I sometimes feel McD placed too much effort on winning this year (thus playing Petey and Sean), and not having Buck and Ham to play more.

ZCyclone

Mar 24, 2009
Ames, IA
Whoever starts at PG, it should be a nice to see a little more speed in the backcourt. Petey was solid as a more slow-paced guard, but it seemed like last year the tempo was help back by the guys taking the ball up.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Regardless of who starts, I think we are going to have lot more scoring options and more players can actually play at big 12 level on the floor. With that said, I think we could see multiple line up depends on who we play against.

StateFan12

Jan 23, 2009
I disagree with everyone about starting Lucca. Lucca was scouted as a "role-player" and the only reason he started this year was because we had nobody in his place. With Brackins coming back, here's my opinion of the lineup:

Beginning of season:
DG
Colvin
Gilstrap with Pomlee getting a lot of time
BRACKINS!!! Chicka chicka yeah!
Ham and Dendy splitting time

6th man will be Buck and 7th will be Lucca

Mid-season:
Colvin
Buckley
Gilstrap
Brackins
Ham

This is my favorite lineup. The only reason I didn't have it as my beginning of the year lineup is because of Colvin and Buckley need to play a little bit and then by mid-season they'll get their time and DG will be coming off the bench.

Having said this, I think we might have a pretty good team next year. Not fantastic, but I think we stand a chance to be a middle-of-the-pack Big 12 team that should AT LEAST make the NIT and could make the tourney if all the pieces fit together next year.

Finally, some good news for ISU sports! Since Craig is staying here that makes him bigger than Jebus.

Agree with the line-ups...Think we have a good chance of finishing in the top 4 of the Big 12 and re-establishing "Hilton Magic!"

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
why don't people get the fact that lucca is NOT a 3 guard.

1. point guard.
2. shooting guard.
3. small foward.
4. power foward.
5. center.

the 3 guard is portrayed as a slasher/rebounder/high flyer. someone who can drive to the hole and hit an open shot, get rebounds and tip dunks.

Lucca does not fit into that bio. He was recuited as a 2 guard. the shooting guard. and if WJ would have stayed, he was going to play the 3 this year and lucca the 2. but that didn't happen, and it forced gmac to put lucca at the 3.

Now if gilstrap pans out and can play at the big XII level, he will be the 3 and lucca will move to the 2. which is his natural position.

Just think about it this way. do any of you consider jake sullivan a 3 guard? because they are about the same type of player.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I don't care what the lineup will be. I'm just happy that it appears we will finally have enough talent to compete.

DG is going to really blossom next year. He came a long ways last year, and if he continues with that progression he will be a force next year.

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
Buckley
Christopherson
Gilstrap
Dendy
Brackins

Would be a fast and fun team to watch. But in reality, it will be...

DG
Christopherson
Gilstrap
Brackins
Hamilton

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
why don't people get the fact that lucca is NOT a 3 guard.

1. point guard.
2. shooting guard.
3. small foward.
4. power foward.
5. center.

the 3 guard is portrayed as a slasher/rebounder/high flyer. someone who can drive to the hole and hit an open shot, get rebounds and tip dunks.

Lucca does not fit into that bio. He was recuited as a 2 guard. the shooting guard. and if WJ would have stayed, he was going to play the 3 this year and lucca the 2. but that didn't happen, and it forced gmac to put lucca at the 3.

Now if gilstrap pans out and can play at the big XII level, he will be the 3 and lucca will move to the 2. which is his natural position.

Just think about it this way. do any of you consider jake sullivan a 3 guard? because they are about the same type of player.
You defined what coaches look for from all players. Sometimes you have to settle for players that can't do it. Thankfully basketball is not as rigid as you make it out to be. Just think about it this way: who was the "3-guard" on the Elite Eight team? Nurse? If a team goes with a 3 guard line-up, the "three" can be a different type player. Also, Lucca is just as much a "3-guard" as he is a 2. He dribbles more like a three than a two, and has the size for a three. If he isn't quick enough for the three, he certainly isn't quick enough for the two. Lucca was recruited because he is a good shooter and above average passer, and you find spots in games where he can bring that to the table (i.e a role player).