OK narrowed it down to a few Franternities tell me what you think

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
Helser is the most underrated dorm on campus, I enjoyed every minute there!

When I was in school a guy was dead in his room at helser for a week or 2 no one checked on him or anything until DPS kicked the door in. The quote in the Daily from a fellow doormy was, "We didn't think anything of the smell, it always smells in the doorms."

TaDelt

Apr 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
SAE get's ragged on alot but it really is one of the best chapter's on campus. Their house is beautiful and their alumni usually put fourth at least $100,000 per year in improvements including a recently expanded and redone kitchen facility, the guys are great. many of my best friends are SAE's, I advise you to take a look at every house and decide on your own. A word of warning though, Pikes and Delts can be fake in trying to get you to sign, also last summer delts signed a guy in may and pulled his bid with less than a week before the deadline to find on campus housing in order to sign a different kid. As far as party's go at SAE they are a blast, I have never had a bad time at SAE. the SAE guys are honest and what you see is what you get this pretty much goes for sig ep's as well, but pikes and delts as a whole can be very manipulative especially of their pledges and girls. Not a Member of any house this is just my honest advice and feedback. the Date Rape rep about sae goes back to when a brother was acquitted of rape in the mid 90's because he had about 25 witnesses, guys and girls, that heard the girl say yes. she was just embarrased in the morning and said rape

BigM, where did you get this info? I graduated in the fall of 2010, and was a member of Delta Tau Delta and have never heard of this...

To the OP, coming on a message board and asking for other people's opinions is probably the worst way to go about it. It would be best for you to visit the houses and figure it out for yourself. You will get so many different opinions on this board, that you will start back at square one.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
This sounds like a bad Hawkeye trial. You do know that when intoxicated of any capacity, there is no such thing as consent, right? So if she woke up the next morning, felt as though she was inebriated to any extent, it was rape. Just saying.

Playing devils advocate here, so that means he could accuse her of rape as well?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Dont go into SAE. That's the date rape frat. Bunch of shady guys in that too.

Interesting to see that SAE deuschbaggery transcends individual schools, this explains the SAEs at where I went to undergrad too...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is a terrible way to go about choosing a house. Having no idea what type of person you are or what type of people you want to surround yourself with it is impossible to give any quality advice. Seems to me your best bet is to visit all the houses and join the one that you enjoy the most...seems like common sense to me at least.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I lived in the 'system' and I lived on campus. IMHO on campus was much better.

After a FR year in the dorms I thought I was really missing out. So I joined a house (doesn't matter which one) and after a year in the 'system' I was back out. Now all of this happened almost 20 years ago so take it for what it's worth.

Rape and drugs were 100 times worse in the 'system'. Amount of work to be in the house was also pretty sizable. I got along with the guys in the house fine and had a couple that I thought were friends. In the end not so much. There is only one guy that I still talk to, and even that is sparingly.

FTH...for the house. That's what your life becomes. Cleaning, projects, events, and countless other activities.

My advice is befriend several frat guys and get into their parties. Play the game and always be 'thinking about joining a house'. You get more benefit from it and less work. You can ditch frat friends easily when you find out things are not what they appear...and if you find a group of guys you really like then consider joining.

But just like jobs, don't confuse the interview process with the job. They are not the same thing.

One final note. There was a guy that destroyed $150 worth the property at the house. He didn't pay the bill and they booted him. From what I was told he was a nice kid when he came to college. He lived in the house for 4 years and for his 5th he moved off campus. I only knew him as a guy who partied and did drugs (everyone admitted he wasn't that way when he came into the house, but he hung out with some 'bros' who did the same thing) and thought he was an ok guy but not someone I wanted to associate with. The next fall they booted him for the $150 bill and all his "bro's" and 'friends' treated him like he had aids. His drug use evidently got worse and he shot himself that fall.

Am I saying the house killed him? No, I won't go that far, but they never helped him either. They exposed him to that life (not all but a good sized group of them) and when, knowing that he was having major issues, things were at their worst they abandoned him. My 'friends' don't do that. My brother sure as hell wouldn't.

Just go in eyes open.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO

After a FR year in the dorms I thought I was really missing out. So I joined a house (doesn't matter which one) and after a year in the 'system' I was back out. Now all of this happened almost 20 years ago so take it for what it's worth.

Rape and drugs were 100 times worse in the 'system'. Amount of work to be in the house was also pretty sizable. I got along with the guys in the house fine and had a couple that I thought were friends. In the end not so much. There is only one guy that I still talk to, and even that is sparingly.

FTH...for the house. That's what your life becomes. Cleaning, projects, events, and countless other activities.

My advice is befriend several frat guys and get into their parties. Play the game and always be 'thinking about joining a house'. You get more benefit from it and less work. You can ditch frat friends easily when you find out things are not what they appear...and if you find a group of guys you really like then consider joining.

But just like jobs, don't confuse the interview process with the job. They are not the same thing.

One final note. There was a guy that destroyed $150 worth the property at the house. He didn't pay the bill and they booted him. From what I was told he was a nice kid when he came to college. He lived in the house for 4 years and for his 5th he moved off campus. I only knew him as a guy who partied and did drugs (everyone admitted he wasn't that way when he came into the house, but he hung out with some 'bros' who did the same thing) and thought he was an ok guy but not someone I wanted to associate with. The next fall they booted him for the $150 bill and all his "bro's" and 'friends' treated him like he had aids. His drug use evidently got worse and he shot himself that fall.

Am I saying the house killed him? No, I won't go that far, but they never helped him either. They exposed him to that life (not all but a good sized group of them) and when, knowing that he was having major issues, things were at their worst they abandoned him. My 'friends' don't do that. My brother sure as hell wouldn't.

Just go in eyes open.

:confused: wow......

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
BigM, where did you get this info? I graduated in the fall of 2010, and was a member of Delta Tau Delta and have never heard of this...

To the OP, coming on a message board and asking for other people's opinions is probably the worst way to go about it. It would be best for you to visit the houses and figure it out for yourself. You will get so many different opinions on this board, that you will start back at square one.

This is true. You aren't meeting anyone here, and making a decision based off these boards is pretty dumb. Plus, about 95% of the, "I heard this and this and this," crowd has heard 4th hand stories. Most of those are either not true or extremely exaggerated.

Playing devils advocate here, so that means he could accuse her of rape as well?

Technically yes, but that would never hold up. We actually learned about this at one of our meetings. We had someone come in and talk about different substances so we could lower our insurance rates. For about 30 minutes she was talking about mostly cocaine and date rape and how it was bad. She then said something along the lines of, "I'm not going to ask what happened at your party, but I do know what happened." We were all shocked and someone asked her what she was talking about. Turns out she got fraternities mixed up and she thought she was talking to a different fraternity who had been putting cocaine in girls drinks.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam

I know the guy that got his bid dropped, and the guy that magically got a bid 2 days later and both have told me this.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
too bad all the good houses got kicked off and/or replaced with the AGR, Farmhouse, Triangle type. i.e. Nerds.

As a Triangle alum, I take offense to that. We definitely fit the phrase, "work hard party hard", but calling Triangles nerds isn't a fair assessment. Did (do) you even know any of the guys? I can think of several houses that were much "nerdier" than the three listed, but I'm above calling them out.

As for the original poster, of the four "big" houses you listed, I'd go with Delts. Triangle was paired with three of the four fraternities listed for homecoming/Greek Week while I attended ISU (04-08). At that time the Delts were the most fun and seemed to be very dedicated to everything in which they partook - Greek events, tailgating, new member ed., school, etc.

However, I'd definitely recommend getting to know a bunch of guys in each of the houses first. Don't make a judgment based on the facility. After college, the memories you cherish aren't how nice the fraternity home was, but how cool/fun/nice the guys in the house were.

Last edited:

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea

Rape and drugs were 100 times worse in the 'system'. 1. Amount of work to be in the house was also pretty sizable. 2. I got along with the guys in the house fine and had a couple that I thought were friends. In the end not so much. There is only one guy that I still talk to, and even that is sparingly.

3. My advice is befriend several frat guys and get into their parties. Play the game and always be 'thinking about joining a house'. You get more benefit from it and less work. You can ditch frat friends easily when you find out things are not what they appear...and if you find a group of guys you really like then consider joining.

Just go in eyes open.

Sorry you had such a bad experience but I'd be careful painting an entire group of people as a certain type based on your lone year in the 'system.'

1. Are you lazy? Sometimes people work hard & take pride in things they are a part of. There should also be an understanding of extra commitments when a person chooses to join a house. If not, then the person apparently didn't ask enough questions before signing.

2. Do you think maybe it could have been you? I can understand moving out & having a few guys ****** at you but me thinks there might be more to the story. Were you actively involved in all aspects of the house? Did you go out of your way and make an extra effort to really get to know your brothers?

3. Amazing but not surprising....we were always very welcoming of 'non-greeks' at our house but to blatantly give someone this advice is mind boggling but I suppose it shouldn't be....plenty of non-greeks will talk terribly & dog the Greek system till the day they die but are always the first ones in line begging to get into a party.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Ok I posted before and got some help, thanks to those who gave good answers. Im thinking SAE, Delts, Sig eps or pikes please let me know there reps or what you recomend..... Yes I want to join a franternity no need to tell me they are lame and not too. I want to experience one. Thank so much everyone!

What is your major?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Aren't most of them dry now? I remember most of them had to go dry when I was in school. Pick whichever one isn't dry.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
3. Amazing but not surprising....we were always very welcoming of 'non-greeks' at our house but to blatantly give someone this advice is mind boggling but I suppose it shouldn't be....plenty of non-greeks will talk terribly & dog the Greek system till the day they die but are always the first ones in line begging to get into a party.

+1

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006

This is true. You aren't meeting anyone here, and making a decision based off these boards is pretty dumb. Plus, about 95% of the, "I heard this and this and this," crowd has heard 4th hand stories. Most of those are either not true or extremely exaggerated.

Technically yes, but that would never hold up. We actually learned about this at one of our meetings. We had someone come in and talk about different substances so we could lower our insurance rates. For about 30 minutes she was talking about mostly cocaine and date rape and how it was bad. She then said something along the lines of, "I'm not going to ask what happened at your party, but I do know what happened." We were all shocked and someone asked her what she was talking about. Turns out she got fraternities mixed up and she thought she was talking to a different fraternity who had been putting cocaine in girls drinks.

So why should it hold up if a girl wakes up and regrets her consensual decision of the night before? Thats a very slippery slope you are going down.

CyBerg

Jul 28, 2011
The Des Moines, IA
Is this a joke?

"Hi guys, I am seriously considering joining a house, I have met a bunch of the guys that are in each of them. Instead of basing my decision on that information, can you all feed me a bunch of BS rumors that you have heard about them so I can make my decision like a chick?"

This is what we used to call "negative recruiting" back in the day. It's cancer and it's stupid. I'm a member of one of these houses but I can't recommend one over another because the relative quality of a house is all about the group of guys you are with.

Good luck.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Is this a joke?

"Hi guys, I am seriously considering joining a house, I have met a bunch of the guys that are in each of them. Instead of basing my decision on that information, can you all feed me a bunch of BS rumors that you have heard about them so I can make my decision like a chick?"

This is what we used to call "negative recruiting" back in the day. It's cancer and it's stupid. I'm a member of one of these houses but I can't recommend one over another because the relative quality of a house is all about the group of guys you are with.

Good luck.

Most "chicks" do not make decisions by posting on a message board. :skeptical:

I was in a sorority during my time at ISU and agree with everyone who is telling you to keep an open mind, visit the houses and meet as many members as you can before you make a decision. Don't count out the smaller houses and look up their GPA (http://www.greek.iastate.edu/resources/docs/graderpt/s11/ifc-s11.pdf). I'll be the first to admit I partied pretty hard in school, but I was here to get a degree to lead to a job and made sure that was a priority.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Go to some rush parties, see who has the loosest little sisters, and your decision will make itself.

Help Support Us

Become a patron