OK I drank the kool aid, but next years schedule..

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
really looks favorable for an ISU run. This is the best case senario, but a possibliity.
South Dakota State WIN
Kent State WIN
Iowa WIN
UNLV WIN
Kansas LOSS
Baylor WIN
Nebraska WIN
A and M WIN
Okla St. WIN
CU WIN
Mo LOSS
K State WIN

That would be 10-2, and I'm not convinced we can beat either MO or KU next year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
really looks favorable for an ISU run. This is the best case senario, but a possibliity.
South Dakota State WIN
Kent State WIN
Iowa WIN
UNLV WIN
Kansas LOSS
Baylor WIN
Nebraska WIN
A and M WIN
Okla St. WIN
CU WIN
Mo LOSS
K State WIN

That would be 10-2, and I'm not convinced we can beat either MO or KU next year.

God, I hope you are right. That would make recruiting easier.

Remember - LOSS is a four letter word.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
We're not beating Oklahoma State next year. Otherwise, you're right, it is the same favorable schedule that KU was able to take advantage of this year (and that we should have been able to take advantage of in 2005).

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
A and M, Colorado, and K-State are iffy for me... Just being realistic. Hopefully our team can stay competitive, but I don't see any huge strides that suggest a big upturn for next year. I'm hoping the team continues to improve, but I'm not expecting any huge differences, other than winning those non-conference games. I'm sure Iowa will be a tough game as well, with it being away and everything, even if they aren't exactly going to be great either.

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Everyone together now....SLOW DOWN!

Look at it all you want. Dreaming is just fine...but don't type it. Rationale people don't predict 10 win seasons after coming off 3 win seasons with losses to UNI, Toledo, and Kent St.

I like not having OK and TX, but South Dakota St. terrifies me as well based on our early season performance this year.
:wubclub:

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Don't be so sure of yourself. Chizik is still yet to win a road game as head coach.

I'm not sure, just looking at the possibilities. I also see at least four losses for KU. Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, South Florida. Their turn a round year may be a one hit wonder. We have the favorable schedule the next two years. I hope we can take advantage of it. (We are capable of losing almost any game as well)

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Look what Kansas did with a ****-*** schedule. ISU fans need to realize were gonna have down years the 2 years we play Tex, OK, and TT. But we can make up for it by going 9-3 or better when we dont play them.

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa
South Dakota State WIN
Kent State WIN
Iowa WIN
UNLV WIN
Kansas LOSS
Baylor WIN
Nebraska WIN
A and M WIN
Okla St. WIN
CU WIN
Mo LOSS
K State WIN

I like your positive outlook, but unfortunately I cant see 10 wins. I am thinking 4-5 wins for next year. The schedule is favorable, and its hard to pick out were the wins and losses will come from, but I will be pleasantly surprised if we are bowl eligible next season, let alone looking at the first 10 win season in ISU history.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Everyone together now....SLOW DOWN!

Look at it all you want. Dreaming is just fine...but don't type it. Rationale people don't predict 10 win seasons after coming off 3 win seasons with losses to UNI, Toledo, and Kent St.

I like not having OK and TX, but South Dakota St. terrifies me as well based on our early season performance this year.
:wubclub:

Agreed. However, if we start the year off playing more like we did against K-State, Oklahoma and the like this year, then we'll be FAR better off against the likes of South Dakota State than we were this year. We lost to those teams this year because the team played, really, really awful. Later in the season, except against Texas and kind of like that against Kansas, the team showed that they're better than that.

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
South Dakota State WIN
Kent State WIN
Iowa WIN
UNLV WIN
Kansas LOSS
Baylor WIN
Nebraska WIN
A and M WIN
Okla St. WIN
CU WIN
Mo LOSS
K State WIN

dont know about CU. its hard to win on the road vs CU

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Don't forget, we gave the Toledo game away. Plus the horrible turnovers against Kent State and Nebraska cost us a chance to win. And we played Mo and OU tough. Texas, KU and TT were the blowouts. (and they were the real deal blowouts)

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I love the optimism, I think the minimum win total next year should be set at 6. I think 8 is a real possibility. Many will say this depends on QB play, I think a QB can just manage a game. (Trent Dilfer Super Bowl) I am much more concerned about the defensive line. We have heard good things about the guys that were redshirted, but they have yet to take a snap so we will not know how they react to game situations until they see live action.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
*Gulp*

How many of us criticized Hawk fans for predicting a 10-win season this year? We need to slow down...we only won 3 games last season. Chizik should win national coach of the year if he can squeeze 10 wins out of us next year. I love the optimism, but...let's please try to rational.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I'd say our range of wins will be 4-6. It'd be great to make a bowl, but it will probably be tough for us. Year 3 (with a similar schedule) of the Chizik regime is when I expect to see the real progress be shown in the W-L. Then hopefully in year 4 when we have the tough south schedule back, we're in a position where we have a realistic shot at upsetting one of them.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
At this point, I think reasonable goals for the next two years are:

2008: 6-6 (my money would be on 5-7, however)
2009: 2 more wins than 2008

If you want to see something sobering, check out our current Recruiting rankings against the rest of the Big XII:

http://iowastate.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?Sort=0&PosType=0&Year=2008&conf=0

I know these rankings are suspect, but you get the general idea.

That being said... I see our coaching, as well as our talent, improving over the next couple years as the staff settles in, which will help us win some games that we have not over the last couple years. We will win a road game next year, for sure.

How fun is it to speculate about next season already? :smile:

Bring it on, SDSU!!! :biggrin:

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
I'd say it's more likely that we go winless than get to 10 wins. 5-7 is my guess, with 6-6 making me ecstatic. Gene showed that he can coach, but two of our wins could have easily gone the other way in 2007, leaving us at 1-11. I don't expect to see 9+ wins until we see this conference schedule again in 4 years.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I love Kool-Aid and what it can do to you. I think if GC can continue to improve the defense and the O-line, this team has a chance. I think getting rid of Meyer is going to add 3 wins alone next year. Now if the defense and the O-line can come together, 8 wins is not out of line with the schedule.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron