*** Official Xavier vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Is that the play when it looks like he was just standing there waiting to intercept the pass? ... I think that's the one, I didn't notice the tangle-up before that.
No, if we're thinking of the same play that one happened in the first half, this one was in the 2nd. Feels good though that Tyrese had a number of good steals though and we're having a hard time figuring out which impressive one we're talking about.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Is that the play when it looks like he was just standing there waiting to intercept the pass? ... I think that's the one, I didn't notice the tangle-up before that.
Here's part of the play in question. Sadly the highlights cut off a bit of it but it should at least give you an idea of where to look on a replay or something

Reactions: cyclones500

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
20 wins might give us the all-time record for win improvement from one season to the next. The current record is +17.5. I say might because I'm not sure how they calculate additional games played.

The team with the record had 17 more wins with one fewer game played, so they got a bonus of a half game improvement.

ISU going from 15-15 to 32-5 in 1999-2000 would be counted as a +14.5 turnaround. 17 more wins with a deduction of 2.5 for 5 additional games played.

We are guaranteed 32 games this year after going 2-22 a year ago. So, we would have to go 24-8 to break the record (up 22 wins but a deduction of 4 for the 8 additional games). The article mentions Kentucky is likely to take the record after an abysmal year in 2020-21 and potential for 30+ wins this yeat

• Informative
Reactions: Jkclone15

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think I saw some UNI/Kyle Green inspired sets on offense that got us some good 3 point looks. That was cool.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Here's part of the play in question. Sadly the highlights cut off a bit of it but it should at least give you an idea of where to look on a replay or something

Thanks for the clip. Yep, that's the play I was thinking -- I hadn't noticed the lead-up when I saw it live ... and I watched some of 2nd half replay earlier today, and missed it then, too. :)

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I think 20 wins is doable. We have to show how we play against elite talent and on the road. But defense travels and these guys are unselfish with the ball so various player can get hot in different games.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He'll soon be a 23 year old junior so he's kept with that part of the Iowa program.
That's right and pretty sure he could use a covid year to play 2 more after this year. That would make him on course to match jorbo

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Perhaps it was mentioned on telecast and/or in thread ... that's the first win away from Hilton since beating Alabama in Battle 4 Atlantis, Nov. 28, 2019.

(Seems like that game was 5 years ago.)

That’s incredible and sad. 2 Thanksgivings ago. Caleb Grill’s fist go around. I was just Looking at the pics earlier today. Here’s the intro to that game.

C5727749-F025-4BD7-8289-74A7E29C8805.jpeg

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
That’s incredible and sad. 2 Thanksgivings ago. Caleb Grill’s fist go around. I was just Looking at the pics earlier today. Here’s the intro to that game.

View attachment 92309
That really puts into perspective how amazing this season has been so far.

Only question I have and I'm sure I'll get some colorful responses, but would Prohm have done ok this year with Hunter in the fold? Or have Tj and his staff come in and revamped the culture and x's and o's way above and beyond what Prohm was capable?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

Only question I have and I'm sure I'll get some colorful responses, but would Prohm have done ok this year with Hunter in the fold? Or have Tj and his staff come in and revamped the culture and x's and o's way above and beyond what Prohm was capable?
Obviously no way to ever truly know but I think looking at the roster is your answer. Basically the entire roster was turned over.
The guys TJ brought in are light years better than anyone Prohm recruited.
I’m not sure how things got away from Prohm to badly, but it’s pretty clear to me now that he didn’t know what he was doing.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
First win over a ranked opponent for the last five Cyclone head coaches --

Morgan = first season on January 31 against #15 Kansas in Hilton
McDermott = fourth season (!!!) on March 6 against #5 Kansas State in Manhattan
Hoiberg = second season on January 28 against #5 Kansas in Hilton
Prohm = first season on December 22 against #22 Cincinnati in Cincinnati
Otzelberger = first season on November 24 against #25 Xavier in New York

So TJ beat his first ranked team five games into Iowa State tenure. This accomplishment was only accomplished by Hoiberg in his second season and McDermott took almost four full seasons.

Long way to go yet, but this beginning feels special.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Obviously no way to ever truly know but I think looking at the roster is your answer. Basically the entire roster was turned over.
The guys TJ brought in are light years better than anyone Prohm recruited.
I’m not sure how things got away from Prohm to badly, but it’s pretty clear to me now that he didn’t know what he was doing.

I'll assume you're talking about recently?

Hali, THT, Wiggs etc. were great recruits.

And Hunter was a Prohm recruit iirc. Credit to TJ for getting him to stay.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Imo the way they're playing together is better than Prohm or Hoiberg this early in the year with exception to the Kane team that had good chemistry early.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I'll assume you're talking about recently?

Hali, THT, Wiggs etc. were great recruits.

And Hunter was a Prohm recruit iirc. Credit to TJ for getting him to stay.
Yah sorry, I was thinking more about building a roster. Prohm could definitely recruit elite guards. His problem seemed to be in putting the right guys around them.

Reactions: SweetNSauber

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Prohm was a bad player coach and it all started in his first year with McKay. Almost feel bad for him because he lost his first team and was sort of handcuffed and couldn’t do much about it

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I mean not sure who the guy is you are calling out, but Oregon State does indeed suck. They are 1-4 with losses to Tulsa, Samford and Princeton... Their lone win is by 9 over Portland State.

I'll stand up! I said it, and I'll continue to say it. Oregon State sucks. lol