***Official USMNT Thread***

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Wife and I were belly laughing last night that the only way Zardes is any good is when someone kicks it off his face and it goes into the goal. We hadn't laughed that hard in awhile.

Boyd is what, our 4th best player right now? And considering Adams, Weston and Pulisic injury history he might be higher than that.

Tim Ream is going to cost us goals. Think Miazga fits in there somewhere. Would love to see
Zimmerman, Miazga, Long, Lima with Lima pushing forward and it being more of a three man back line.

And if Yedlin or Lima can hold down that spot, you could, and hear me out, move Adams back into his natural position in the MF.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Again though, how is this different than any other sport? There is still rec at that age, just like there is in baseball, basketball, etc. However, if you're a serious baseball player you're probably going to play in a group like Midwest Pride by 11U. Price there? 1,100.

http://midwestprideathletics.com/our-teams/pricing/

You want to play basketball through All Iowa Attack up in Ames? 150.00 uniform fee and 1,900 for the year.

http://alliowaattack.com/bfees.html

Soccer in the US just isn't more expensive to play at youth levels than other sports. It's not. We can debate this but it's just not true.

Right. But its a ton more socioeconomic. I would assume a good chunk of those teams are made up of Coltons and Atticus whose moms drive Yukons and yell at fast food managers. US Soccer to become top level needs to include the Latin kids, and PfP eliminates, for the most part, the Latin and Urban kids.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Again though, how is this different than any other sport? There is still rec at that age, just like there is in baseball, basketball, etc. However, if you're a serious baseball player you're probably going to play in a group like Midwest Pride by 11U. Price there? 1,100.

http://midwestprideathletics.com/our-teams/pricing/

You want to play basketball through All Iowa Attack up in Ames? 150.00 uniform fee and 1,900 for the year.

http://alliowaattack.com/bfees.html

Soccer in the US just isn't more expensive to play at youth levels than other sports. It's not. We can debate this but it's just not true.
Those prices are similar to girls volleyball as well

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
How are urban kids paying for basketball? Again, I don't mean to be annoying here, I don't understand why it's such a difference.

Most of the AAU teams are sponsored. So allot of the "Urban" i.e. black kids, don't pay. Yes Chesson does, but a bunch of his teammates don't. This has been going on for a long time. I went to a high school that was very expensive and gave out, "hardship" scholarships for kids, but it was just a way to get the hoops team into the State tournament. This hasn't happened yet with the Latin core of this county, because most of this country wants to pretend they don't exist. Plus a hoops team only needs one dominant player to be good, to put together a competent soccer development program you need allot more than one good player and a blacktop.

A great model are the MLB academies in the Dominican Republic. If some of these MLS teams would take that model and put them in say, East LA, the returns would be amazing. We lost Jonathan Gonzalez and Efrain Alvarez to the Mexican Federation because nobody in US Soccer even tried to get them. They are both going to be world class players and would be in our player pool right now. Both were born and grew up in LA.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
How are urban kids paying for basketball? Again, I don't mean to be annoying here, I don't understand why it's such a difference.
I’d guess sponsorships from places like Adidas, Nike, local stores, etc…cover the cost for those kids. I could be wrong.

The soccer programs in the Des Moines metro offer free or reduced tuition but the amounts available are pretty small as I think there is just a certain $ amount set aside and once it is gone, it’s gone. Can’t take any more non-paying players after that.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Great post. Thanks. So basically, the problem is that there isn't an apparatus supporting lower income kids getting into it, like there is in other international sports, basketball in particular. In basketball it's the shoe money probably supporting these teams, but there just isn't shoe money at this point in soccer (not that it doesn't have it's own problems) to broaden the tent.

I agree that academies run by the MLS affiliates would be the best option... how do they do that? How much money do the have to invest? I imagine MLB teams are spending a lot less in the DR than they would have to in the US.

It looks like the best Euro teams are spending tens of millions of dollars on their youth academies. Premier league teams generate about 250 million in revenue per club. MLS teams make about 38 million. It's just such a big gap to make up, and most of these clubs aren't making a ton of money... I have a hard time saying they should all just pay for very expensive academies and have it all be on them.

Allot of the European teams have started putting money into various youth clubs throughout the United States. I think this is where allot of the growth will come from, and where we will find some players that didn't come up through the PtP system. Bayern Munich and a few others actually have offices and scouts in the United States. Problem is, US Soccer/MLS tell these kids, hey if you don't go to an MLS academy and go overseas, you won't see the National Team. They use one to build up the other, but the MLS academies don't have the ability to develop world class talent. Its just a sh*t situation and now I'm forced to watch Will Trapp.

• Winner
Reactions: pulse