*** Official Oklahoma State vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
We will see. If our net is closer to 50 come selection Sunday, I don’t think the committee is going to place us quite that high.
Our net will probably go up with back to back losses to Baylor.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Bottom line, Oklahoma State wanted it more. The effort showed. Like I said before, credit Coach Boynton and staff. Their record doesn’t show how good they really are. The Cowboys had length and athleticism that we couldn’t match.
It's simply mind blowing to me that a team with nothing to play for but moral victories has played so well this year. Maybe not so surprising in earlier months, but they fact that they didn't falter down the stretch and stagger down the basement of the Big 12 when they had nothing to play for and everyone else did is remarkable. Literally every other Big 12 team has been in the March conversation at some point this year, and they will finish above more than a 1/3 of them. It's frankly embarrassing for Iowa State. I almost think we would've lost twice to them if they would've had Bryce Williams the first time around. No clue how we beat them in Stillwater, just a horrible matchup for our current compilation of players.

Reactions: mjhavlo76

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Our net will probably go up with back to back losses to Baylor.
I haven’t really seen us move up after any losses. How far we fall will really depend how we lose. Going to Waco and falling 62-45 wouldn’t be good on our NET rank.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I haven’t really seen us move up after any losses. How far we fall will really depend how we lose. Going to Waco and falling 62-45 wouldn’t be good on our NET rank.
I was being a little sarcastic, but I also don't think we're going to get blown out. Probably like a couple 10 point games that never felt like we were going to win. Close losses to top teams have shown just as good in NET rankings as close wins against lower level teams.

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Maybe we should play all the games on the road? We seem to suck more at home.
That is actually one of the really baffling things about this season. I remember Johnny's teams used to be able to beat anyone in Hilton but couldn't win on the road because they didn't rebound or play good defense for the nights they didn't shoot well. This team has faired better on the road not so much because they shoot better there, but that their defense has travelled pretty well. Last night, it seemed as hard as we played (I love this team and we kept ourselves in it the first half even with struggling offense) our three nemesis all showed up:
  • Poor Shooting (the missed point blank shots are a killer more than poor 3 pt shooting)
  • Live ball turnovers leading to runouts
  • Allowing too many offensive rebounds to the other team

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That is actually one of the really baffling things about this season. I remember Johnny's teams used to be able to beat anyone in Hilton but couldn't win on the road because they didn't rebound or play good defense for the nights they didn't shoot well. This team has faired better on the road not so much because they shoot better there, but that their defense has travelled pretty well. Last night, it seemed as hard as we played (I love this team and we kept ourselves in it the first half even with struggling offense) our three nemesis all showed up:
  • Poor Shooting (the missed point blank shots are a killer more than poor 3 pt shooting)
  • Live ball turnovers leading to runouts
  • Allowing too many offensive rebounds to the other team
Always wondered about the better shooting at home and the stories of Grayer telling the workers if he thought the baskets were just a wee bit high or low when they would do shoot around well before the game. Stories I heard said he was generally right, but on off nights, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We are now 42nd in NET this morning. I think the committee will have us in for our quad 1 record, but how much will they look at other factors? Likely will have lost 7 of the last 11 heading into selection Sunday won’t be a great look. Plus the fact that we have been blown out quite a bit. I see us likely as a 10 seed and honestly that’s probably pretty fair for us.
I agree with your projection of a 10 seed. We can get on the 8-9 line perhaps, if we finish 1-2 somehow. I can't fathom not only losing to Oklahoma State last night, but the manner in which it happened. They can't afford to specifically have performances like the one they had. So many bad things happening, poor offensive efficiency and a Q2 loss, actually blowout, at home. People can make all the excuses they want for this team, how they shouldn't be this good, how none of us would've complained about this at the beginning of the season, yadda yadda yadda, but this was ugly and inexcusable for the situation this team has got itself into and the chips that are on the table right now.

Reactions: awd4cy and CyBobby

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Was the main difference their athleticism at the rim? It was glaring. Couple times I saw Conditt in the inside position ready to go up for the rebound and the Cowboy just plain snatched it out of the air above him.
This is part of the larger issue where ISU struggles with fundamental/skill/IQ type things. The team doesn't rebound well (except for a couple of guards), in general they are not really good at driving to the hoop, they don't finish off shots around the hoop, poor passing, turnovers, etc. If the coaches don't recruit kids who have fundamental skills when they walk in the door, then the staff needs to teach these things, because the upper teams in the conference don't have these issues to the extent that ISU does.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree with your projection of a 10 seed. We can get on the 8-9 line perhaps, if we finish 1-2 somehow. I can't fathom not only losing to Oklahoma State last night, but the manner in which it happened. They can't afford to specifically have performances like the one they had. So many bad things happening, poor offensive efficiency and a Q2 loss, actually blowout, at home. People can make all the excuses they want for this team, how they shouldn't be this good, how none of us would've complained about this at the beginning of the season, yadda yadda yadda, but this was ugly and inexcusable for the situation this team has got itself into and the chips that are on the table right now.

We can be happy that they're in the NCAA tourney given the limitations but still recognize that last night was about as poorly prepared as they've looked all year.

They've had games where they did about everything except hit shots but last night everything was pretty awful.

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
We're one of the worst offensive teams in all of P6 basketball with a 4-star and a top 3 player in the conference on the roster, it's not just one game. I think it's a fair assessment to say we need to add someone on the staff who knows what to do on that end of the court.
I think we need to add talent that knows what to do on that end of the floor. The offense got us looks close to the bucket we just couldn't convert. Not saying we are world beaters from coaching scheme, but this is clearly a talent issue.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think we need to add talent that knows what to do on that end of the floor. The offense got us looks close to the bucket we just couldn't convert. Not saying we are world beaters from coaching scheme, but this is clearly a talent issue.

I haven't seen any other teams get completely swatted at the rim as much as ISU.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
That was some Hilton Tragic last night. At least on the offensive end. That made my eyes bleed. Guys just seemed lost and intimidated on offense. Hopefully, TJ can add some talented scorers in the transfer market.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Give anyone the athleticism of Dennis Rodman and rebounding goes better.
He was rebounding against people of similar athleticism...it was the NBA after all. Certainly athleticism is valuable, but Rodman was a successful rebounder also because he used techniques that could neutralize the size advantage of the larger players he was rebounding against.

For now anyway, ISU probably isn't going to "blue-blood" their way to better athletes than everyone else at every position. Where fundamentals and skills are lacking, the coaching staff needs to be able to teach those things. That was a problem for Prohm. I hope the current staff can improve in that area.

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
We are now 42nd in NET this morning. I think the committee will have us in for our quad 1 record, but how much will they look at other factors? Likely will have lost 7 of the last 11 heading into selection Sunday won’t be a great look. Plus the fact that we have been blown out quite a bit. I see us likely as a 10 seed and honestly that’s probably pretty fair for us.
Maybe, but think that our next 2 games will be vs. Baylor (possibly twice) or Texas Tech. We won’t have another bad loss this season and so these games shouldn’t hurt us very bad. Hopefully we can steal a win

Reactions: SolarGarlic

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I challenge you who think we are a 10 seed to look at other projected 10 seeds and compare resumes. Not even comparable.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Now this just crosses the line. Apologize immediately. I'm sorry you can't handle the fact your team scored 36 points last night, but you need to show more class.
You T'd it up, I just smacked it back. I'm sure you're a great father outside of your choice in universities.

• Agree
Reactions: Randy Bobandy

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I was being a little sarcastic, but I also don't think we're going to get blown out. Probably like a couple 10 point games that never felt like we were going to win. Close losses to top teams have shown just as good in NET rankings as close wins against lower level teams.
I feel like we don't lose a lot of close games. Aside from 5-pt Baylor loss at home, 1-pt @ KU and 6 at home to KSU, it seems like we get our asses handed to us when we lose.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Maybe we only scored 36 points because this collection of players aren't good enough to compete in the Big 12 Conference...

I left the Gym got into my car and the MORONS ON THE RADIO said We have talked to a guy who followed TJ in Las Vegas and TJ had the same problems there aka The X's & O's of coaching....TYPICAL U OF IOWA HOMERS!!

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup