*** Official Nebraska vs Iowa State “secret” scrimmage thread ***

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I think the main point is that we could be better than most expect, and I guess that’s an unpopular opinion?
I see it this way, we have a very good coach who has now proven he can recruit at this level. The three freshman we have will be very good players. The four freshman committed for next year look to be another very good class. The future is very bright. To be good this year we needed a high impact transfer. I do not think we got one. I think unquestionably this year will be a step back from the last few years. Think Oklahoma last year. I believe we will finish in the bottom half of the league, no ncaa and maybe an nit bid. I think we will be much better next year with experience and the addition of Shyok and Jacobson.
I will still be at every game, hoping I am wrong. I would love to come on here in March and say how wrong I was. This has been my opinion for quite a while. The Nebbe scrimmage has nothing to do with my opinion, but face facts, loosing to Nebraska in MBB under any circumstances is not a good sign.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I see it this way, we have a very good coach who has now proven he can recruit at this level. The three freshman we have will be very good players. The four freshman committed for next year look to be another very good class. The future is very bright. To be good this year we needed a high impact transfer. I do not think we got one. I think unquestionably this year will be a step back from the last few years. Think Oklahoma last year. I believe we will finish in the bottom half of the league, no ncaa and maybe an nit bid. I think we will be much better next year with experience and the addition of Shyok and Jacobson.
I will still be at every game, hoping I am wrong. I would love to come on here in March and say how wrong I was. This has been my opinion for quite a while. The Nebbe scrimmage has nothing to do with my opinion, but face facts, loosing to Nebraska in MBB under any circumstances is not a good sign.

Talley is an impact transfer, as is Brase (if healthy). Not saying we don't have some odds to overcome, but the pieces are there (and the coaching).

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

This is a good perspective and the staff has the same thoughts considering how many JuCo's and grad transfers the staff was on. They did land 3 good ones in Talley, Brase, and Beverly.

I have a hard time making any determinations on one exhibition even if it is with Nebby.
1. ISU is transitioning the roster with a lot of new faces that haven't played with each other against High Major competition, Hard to expect them to be in mid season form. Nebby has roster that is familiar with each other thus should be farther along.
2. Prohm is still working out the rotation. In addition Brase and Talley didn't play and I expect both to be rotation players by Jan.
3. Most importantly none of the CFer's in this thread saw the exhibition. We don't know what the staff's goals were when they played rotation, trying players in different roles, work on D? I am guessing winning was the primary goal in the end as much as seeing the players play against high major completion.

I'll wait till at least mid December before I make any conclusions about how this team will end NCAA, NIT or CIT? Just too many unknowns. I am looking forward to Sunday to actually see how it looks early thought.

Remember many wrote of Cyclone Football from Bowl aspirations at the end of September after the loss to Texas. Teams grow and Coach figure out the best way to use their players into the year.
Let's let this play out a bit longer.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is a good perspective and the staff has the same thoughts considering how many JuCo's and grad transfers the staff was on. They did land 3 good ones in Talley, Brase, and Beverly.

I have a hard time making any determinations on one exhibition even if it is with Nebby.
1. ISU is transitioning the roster with a lot of new faces that haven't played with each other against High Major competition, Hard to expect them to be in mid season form. Nebby has roster that is familiar with each other thus should be farther along.
2. Prohm is still working out the rotation. In addition Brase and Talley didn't play and I expect both to be rotation players by Jan.
3. Most importantly none of the CFer's in this thread saw the exhibition. We don't know what the staff's goals were when they played rotation, trying players in different roles, work on D? I am guessing winning was the primary goal in the end as much as seeing the players play against high major completion.

I'll wait till at least mid December before I make any conclusions about how this team will end NCAA, NIT or CIT? Just too many unknowns. I am looking forward to Sunday to actually see how it looks early thought.

Remember many wrote of Cyclone Football from Bowl aspirations at the end of September after the loss to Texas. Teams grow and Coach figure out the best way to use their players into the year.

Based on the non-conference rotations Coach Prohm has used at times, I don't think he really sees the results there as important as getting things figured out for conference season, so with that being the case, I really, really doubt he cared one bit about the end result of this closed exhibition.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Talley is an impact transfer, as is Brase (if healthy). Not saying we don't have some odds to overcome, but the pieces are there (and the coaching).

This. It's not a question of if the pieces will all fit together, it's a question of how soon. I wouldn't be surprised at some ugly losses early on and then a February run with a couple quality wins that puts them right on the bubble.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Good thoughts. Especially the bolded part, and I wouldn't be surprised if that carries over some into the games that count, too. Prohm is going to tinker until he gets the right rotation in place. Minutes are going to fluctuate for some players. There are four (maybe five) guys who you can mark down in ink for heavy minutes, but for the rest it's going to be up and down for a while.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Based on the non-conference rotations Coach Prohm has used at times, I don't think he really sees the results there as important as getting things figured out for conference season, so with that being the case, I really, really doubt he cared one bit about the end result of this closed exhibition.

Totally correct. I meant that to put winning wasN'T the goal... got distracted.

Let's also remember, at this time last year we expected Holden to be the starting center with Bowie in the top 7 of the rotation, with little expectations for Young to be a major contributor.

This is why I am gaining excitement to see this team Sunday. First glimpse at the team and see how things could play out.
That said I expect a certain change by the end of the Non-Con and won't be making any predictions on this team until then.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com

Let's also remember, at this time last year we expected Holden to be the starting center with Bowie in the top 7 of the rotation, with little expectations for Young to be a major contributor.

This is why I am gaining excitement to see this team Sunday. First glimpse at the team and see how things could play out.
That said I expect a certain change by the end of the Non-Con and won't be making any predictions on this team until then.

Yeah, I've got Sunday circled. First time in a long time where it will feel like I'm watching an entirely new team, so I'm intrigued to find out how they play and the strengths of each guy. No idea what to expect.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007

I was going to add, many people were nervous we would even make the dance until Young was inserted into more playing time and starting. Totally turned the season around. It may take all of November and December to figure it out.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Right, the unknown is exciting. I fully anticipate some positive surprises and improvement over the year.

But it took awhile for even last year’s veteran team to hit it’s stride, and for Young to get time (whom many did think would be a major contributor). In terms of making the tournament, I’m pessimistic as I think that process will be longer and lead to more losses this year. I think it could be a lot like 2010-11, with a lot of close losses.

Reactions: Cardinal2001

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Hope you are correct. When I said high impact transfers I am thinking Royce White or Deandre Kane. - maybe Will Clyburn.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

dshindy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2014
Johnston
Any word yet on why Talley didn't play?

Didn't want to start a new thread for obvious reasons, but is there still no indication as to why Talley didn't play?

Hopefully all good. I'm a worry wart though.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Didn't want to start a new thread for obvious reasons, but is there still no indication as to why Talley didn't play?

Hopefully all good. I'm a worry wart though.

Not that I've seen. No news is good news, IMO. I think if it was fairly serious, we would have heard by now. I'm guessing it's a little bit of that famous Coach Prohm internal discipline.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Talley could be that. Brase may be a longer shot to be that, but he was really, really good until the knee injuries set in. Hard to expect him to be unaffected by all that though.
The difference being those guys were appropriately expected to be big time impact transfers, whereas Talley and Brase are hoped to be. Maybe those two will be the next Jake Anderson surprise impact transfers and DJ the next DG in terms of year-over-year performance.

The parallels between this team and 2010-11 are higher than one may think.