***Official NCAA tournament thread***

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Now you know why I don't like to predict. I felt good about ISU going into that match, but they couldn't serve and you have to admit, Stanford kept balls alive that were unbelievable while ISU lost balls that they normally would have kept alive. I suppose that was the story last night with Michigan and Stanford. All I can say is go Texas now. Probably the team that I despise the most in the Big 12 with the exception of Kansas men's basketball. But I hope they win now even though because I am on their side, they most certainly won't.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
ISU might be able to take some credit for Texas making it to the championship match. Voepel refers to ISU's win over Texas in the last match of the season:
2012 women's college volleyball -- Texas outlasts Michigan to reach championship - espnW
"Fans of the Longhorns started to sweat. The Big 12 champions had lost just one match in league play: a five-setter at Iowa State in the regular-season finale. And Texas had surrendered just one set in its four NCAA tournament wins. Now, though, the Longhorns were a set away from elimination."

During the broadcast of the Texas-Michigan match, the announcers also referred to Texas' mid-season win vs. ISU after being down 2 sets to 0 and winning the match as a turning point for Texas.

Texas probably needed both of those challenges to make it to the title match.

Hard to believe that both Penn State and Stanford were upset along the way. And that no Big Ten team is in the final.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Congrats to Oregon for knocking off Penn State. They dropped the first set, but then figured out how to adjust and sailed to win the next three (in spite of blowing a 20-10 lead in the 2nd, they still won 30-28), just like they did against Nebraska. Go Ducks!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I actually feel bad for PSU, there was a very, very bad no-call on an Oregon player in the net at the end of the third set. It would have given the set to PSU, and Oregon eventually won after a few more back and forths.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I actually feel bad for PSU, there was a very, very bad no-call on an Oregon player in the net at the end of the third set. It would have given the set to PSU, and Oregon eventually won after a few more back and forths.

Considering the Oregon player was in the net both on the up and way down, seemed very odd to me.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Never seen PSU so demolished and on their heels in a set as that 4th one. Though, their setter couldn't jump, so she was worthless in the front row.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Never seen PSU so demolished and on their heels in a set as that 4th one. Though, their setter couldn't jump, so she was worthless in the front row.

yeah they just fell apart in the 4th. You could tell that Micha was hurting pretty bad.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
Texas vs. Oregon should a great match. Oregon's setter and their fast offense makes me think they will win, but i'll be rooting for Tex. so they big12 can gain more respect....and Haley Eckerman is starting to become my favorite player out there, she looks humble but also very driven.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I am kind of deciding that there isn't a mentality that you can coach to get to the final. It is whether your team is hot when tourney time comes around. Michigan being there didn't make much sense. The final is surprising. I think coach needs to get the girls to work hard but have fun at it, that is about all you can do.

sandiego

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
Well, that was a beat down of EPIC proportions. Texas absolutely dominated Oregon. There was no stopping Eckerman or Webster tonight. Texas block was ridiculous, something like 14 to Oregons 1. lol, Texas is scary...

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
Well, that was a beat down of EPIC proportions. Texas absolutely dominated Oregon. There was no stopping Eckerman or Webster tonight. Texas block was ridiculous, something like 14 to Oregons 1. lol, Texas is scary...

Guess who last beat them, guess who almost beat them twice! Happy Texas won, and this just shows that we can play with and beat the best teams and national champions.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Guess who last beat them, guess who almost beat them twice! Happy Texas won, and this just shows that we can play with and beat the best teams and national champions.
This. I'm glad a Big 12 team won it all and a team that we beat. However, I didn't realize a girl from Waterloo plays for Texas. I'm sort of upset a player from Waterloo chose to play at Texas than ISU or heck even Iowa or UNI. I hope that changes now with ISUs latest success and recruits choose stay in Iowa and play for ISU.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
This. I'm glad a Big 12 team won it all and a team that we beat. However, I didn't realize a girl from Waterloo plays for Texas. I'm sort of upset a player from Waterloo chose to play at Texas than ISU or heck even Iowa or UNI. I hope that changes now with ISUs latest success and recruits choose stay in Iowa and play for ISU.
That also upset me when I found it out. Maybe we wouldn't pay her enough. This is Texas after all.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Eckerman was rumored to be a bit of a diva. CJL wanted her but from what I remember being discussed on here, she wasn't devastated that we lost her.

congrats to Texas! Awesome to be the last team to beat the National Champs!

and yay for the Big 12 beating the Pac 12!

sandiego

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I believe one of the reasons/rumors Hailey went to Texas was to get out of Iowa and some of the issues/personal problems she was having in Waterloo. I know she had a child her senior year in high school. I don't have any first hand information, but I recall hearing this and that about her during the recruiting process...

All in all, I'm happy for her and Texas. Such an awesome accomplishment and I'm sure she has gotten her personal life all in order.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
Hayley looks like a class act player and person out there, Kristen Hahn tweeted a photo of her hugging her son after they won. Very happy for her.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I have nothing against the lady, but Texas, I can hardly stomach. Still, I was for them in this final game. What a gut-wrenching experience.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Eckerman was rumored to be a bit of a diva. CJL wanted her but from what I remember being discussed on here, she wasn't devastated that we lost her.
CJL recruited Eckerman very hard, and said after that year's signing day, "we have to keep the best Iowa players in the state." Eckerman was on the USA national junior team, and recruited by all of the powers, like Penn State, etc. ISU wanted her badly.