NBA: ***Official NBA Offseason Thread***

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
So the slight hullabaloo going on from the other side of the Missouri is that the Bulls final pre-season game, October 20, will be played in Omaha against the Atlanta Hawks.

McDermott and Korver back to their old stomping grounds.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-oklahoma-city-thunder-serious-talks-new-deal

OKC reportedly signs Westbrook to a three year extension with a player option for the third year. He'll make 26.5 million next year and the deal keeps him in OKC for sure through the end of the 17-18 season, when he'll be able to exercise his option for a third year or opt out and test free agency. I'm guessing the Thunder wanted him for longer than two years, but it at least gives them some flexibility. Keep the young core together and see what happens, trade for another superstar (Butler or Blake Griffin?), or move Westbrook to a team on the verge of contention now that he's locked in for two years...Presti has some options now.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Westbrook is going to average 40 points a game next season. On probably 30+ shots a game.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Westbrook is going to average 40 points a game next season. On probably 30+ shots a game.

Yeah, he'll get all the shots he wants and then some. And he'll be a hero in OKC because he stuck around after Durant bolted. A couple seasons ago when KD missed most of the season with a broken foot Westbrook averaged a 28/8/7/2. And the Thunder were a .500 team and missed the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see if the same dynamic unfolds next season. I don't think it will just because Westbrook is a little older and presumably wiser, and there's some good young talent around him. Steven Adams is steadily improving and Victor Oladipo has a ton of potential. If Sam Presti stands pat and takes the current roster into next season, they should be in good position for something like a five or six seed.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
http://www.nba.com/2016/news/09/26/paul-pierce-retirement-after-2016-17-season/

Another one gone, although Pierce will hang them up after the upcoming season.
I could be wrong, but I feel like a lot more athletes are announcing their retirements a year in advance, than ever before. I, myself, am not a fan of the "victory tours". I guess It may have to do with the players "touring" aren't my favorite players. If KG would have had a victory tour, I would have enjoyed it a lot more, solely because he is my favorite player from my childhood and it woulda been cool to see all of the great moments he had against opposing teams. But, even then it would still be a haul of a season, knowing every stop there will most likely be something brought up about his retirement, taking away from what the team is trying to do.

I love how Tim Duncan did it, I loved how Peyton did it, there is a question of "what if this is his last time..." that makes it a bit more interesting rather than knowing this will be the last time. This may just be because there are a lot of high quality athletes in numerous sports that have had their "victory tours" in the past few years, but the whole thing is becoming a bit tiresome.

Don't get me wrong, I love/respect the Derek Jeters, Kobe Bryants, David Ortiz's of the world, and want to pay them their respect when knowing they are going to be done, but it just seems to be way more of a spectacle than it has ever been before.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I could be wrong, but I feel like a lot more athletes are announcing their retirements a year in advance, than ever before. I, myself, am not a fan of the "victory tours". I guess It may have to do with the players "touring" aren't my favorite players. If KG would have had a victory tour, I would have enjoyed it a lot more, solely because he is my favorite player from my childhood and it woulda been cool to see all of the great moments he had against opposing teams. But, even then it would still be a haul of a season, knowing every stop there will most likely be something brought up about his retirement, taking away from what the team is trying to do.

I love how Tim Duncan did it, I loved how Peyton did it, there is a question of "what if this is his last time..." that makes it a bit more interesting rather than knowing this will be the last time. This may just be because there are a lot of high quality athletes in numerous sports that have had their "victory tours" in the past few years, but the whole thing is becoming a bit tiresome.

Don't get me wrong, I love/respect the Derek Jeters, Kobe Bryants, David Ortiz's of the world, and want to pay them their respect when knowing they are going to be done, but it just seems to be way more of a spectacle than it has ever been before.

I agree. I'm not a big fan of the victory lap announcement. Seems kind of selfish, especially for a fading star on a team trying to move on and rebuild (hi, Kobe!). But Pierce was never that level of celebrity, either. He'll get some applause and acknowledgment, but no fans will be flocking to the arenas around the league for one last chance to see Paul Pierce.

I appreciate the more understated way that Duncan and Garnett left, but to each his own.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I agree. I'm not a big fan of the victory lap announcement. Seems kind of selfish, especially for a fading star on a team trying to move on and rebuild (hi, Kobe!). But Pierce was never that level of celebrity, either. He'll get some applause and acknowledgment, but no fans will be flocking to the arenas around the league for one last chance to see Paul Pierce.

I appreciate the more understated way that Duncan and Garnett left, but to each his own.
I completely agree with all your saying here. The only place I would expect there to be a huge jump in ticket prices for his return, is Boston. I guess his announcing just made me think of all the other victory tours.

Tim Duncan played that way, so you could only expect as much. KG, I think he wanted to try and push through for another year, but realized his body just wasn't up to it any more. I think the Wolves offered keep him in the front office, which is why he was willing to hang 'em up now rather than trying to play another year.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Kobe's last game got so much more attention than Duncan's, but I enjoyed Duncan's a lot more. I was about to turn off that game as OKC was up like 20 heading into the fourth but I thought this could be it for him, especially the way they showed Pop and him talking before the start of the 4th. He didn't lead some huge comeback, but they made a run, and Duncan led the way. Pop let TD, Parker and Ginobili go down swinging, this wasn't Kobe jacking 50 shots in a meaningless game, it was Duncan (and Ginobili and Parker) doing what he's done for years. 40 years old and throwing up a 19/5 in a conference semi game, not a bad way to go out.

Reactions: jbindm

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
NBA preseason kicked off on Saturday which included the first game for the new look Warriors. Tonight among the teams playing is Chicago. Indiana's first game is tomorrow and Indy's next 2 games after that are both with Chicago with Niang playing against Fred for the first time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron