***OFFICIAL IOWA/ISU WEEK THREAD***

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Some Hawkeye fans assessments of ISU:

-Montgomery is a very good back. I realized this vs UNI, but I wasn’t ready to say it as I didn’t know if it was the competition. ISU needs to get him the ball more

-ISU WR are somewhat overrated. Tons of drops for ISU, and players get open as a product of their offense, and having 4 WR running routes on every play. Butler and Lazard both had really key drops

-ISU’s D I don’t even know what to say. I thought Iowa would have a hard time getting 300 yards, and they end up with nearly 500 yards of offense? They have to clean that up, it is almost scary to think what Big12 teams are going to do to that defense.

-Park is a good QB. He throws a nice ball, it is catchable, gets it out on time for the most part, and really didn’t put anything the Hawks could pick off out there. The one pick by Iowa was fluky, not a bad play by Park. Hesse was just in the right place, right time as ISU was rightly trying to get Montgomery the ball.

There is enough there to build on for ISU. Like I said all off season ISU is a Bowl Team. I think they actually get to 7 wins this year. I’m just glad ISU has improved, as now they won’t be a drag on Iowa’s schedule. If we would have lost today, I would have though, OK, we lost to a pretty decent team.

What about your assessment of Iowa?

Aug 26, 2014
I'll do that later if you want. Didn't figure you would care what I though about Iowa.

What do you think of my ISU assessment? Do you think it was spot on?
Biggest surprise of the day to me was Stanley. I knew we could score a bunch of points, we should've scored more, but bad drops in bad situations hurt. I knew we could slow the running game enough that we could limit points. I completely underestimated Iowa's passing game. We dared Stanley to beat us, and with some luck and a few decent throws, he did just enough. It's frustrating that we played not to lose. It's frustrating we couldn't get the stop when we needed it, and it's frustrating we were so bad in OT.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Biggest surprise of the day to me was Stanley. I knew we could score a bunch of points, we should've scored more, but bad drops in bad situations hurt. I knew we could slow the running game enough that we could limit points. I completely underestimated Iowa's passing game. We dared Stanley to beat us, and with some luck and a few decent throws, he did just enough. It's frustrating that we played not to lose. It's frustrating we couldn't get the stop when we needed it, and it's frustrating we were so bad in OT.

What happened to 38-17?

I respect pretty much everyone on this site, @CyTwins included, but not you.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53

Aug 26, 2014
What happened to 38-17?

I respect pretty much everyone on this site, @CyTwins included, but not you.
I thought I was civil in my response. I was wrong. Hats off to Stanley and Iowa, they made me eat my prediction. After week 1 I never would've guessed he had it in him but I admit I was wrong.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I thought I was civil in my response. I was wrong. Hats off to Stanley and Iowa, they made me eat my prediction. After week 1 I never would've guessed he had it in him but I admit I was wrong.

@1976 I really think you just let yourself confuse what you want desperately to happen with what reality is. The fact is Iowa is still more talented, and isn’t on a decline at all. ISU is catching up, and is improved a lot over last year.

As I said before the season ISU is a bowl team and ISU has a good shot at wining 7 games this year still. The Big12 is down, Kansas, Tech, Texas, Baylor should all be wins. That gets you to 6, and then all you have to do is knock off a WVU, K-State, or TCU which I think is very doable as none of them are unbeatable. All in all 6 or 7 wins would be a great year 2 for CMC.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
@1976 I really think you just let yourself confuse what you want desperately to happen with what reality is. The fact is Iowa is still more talented, and isn’t on a decline at all. ISU is catching up, and is improved a lot over last year.

As I said before the season ISU is a bowl team and ISU has a good shot at wining 7 games this year still. The Big12 is down, Kansas, Tech, Texas, Baylor should all be wins. That gets you to 6, and then all you have to do is knock off a WVU, K-State, or TCU which I think is very doable as none of them are unbeatable. All in all 6 or 7 wins would be a great year 2 for CMC.
I see us as a 5-7 team now. If forced to say whether 4 or 6 would be closer, I'd go 4. OU dismanating OSU, and omie not being the best in the conference, makes me less optimistic.

Aug 26, 2014

I think we are going to start winning 7 or 8 games regularly under CMC.

• Funny
Reactions: YeahBuddy

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I see us as a 5-7 team now. If forced to say whether 4 or 6 would be closer, I'd go 4. OU dismanating OSU, and omie not being the best in the conference, makes me less optimistic.

Lots of season to play yet, never can tell. I like that ISU gets Texas at home, I think ISU gets a big win on a Thursday. Kansas looks really bad and so does Baylor. I think the floor is 5 wins with Akron, Kansas and Baylor as sure wins. Even if you stub your toe vs Texas, you can pick off another win in that group hat isn't OU or Oklahoma St.

Last edited:

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
Honest assesment of both teams:

Iowa offensively - Wadley is ridiculous, OL protection was better than expected but run blocking worse. I thought Stanley looked pretty poor, he got a ton of yardage dumping underneath against our LB's but he missed a ton of open receivers. Butler didn't look good.

Iowa defensively - Not much you can say positively about them. Really thought the DL was not strong at all and obviously the secondary looked pathetic. That Ragubumba kid looked lost out there. LBs were the best unit but even Jewell didn't look that impressive IMO

ISU offensively - Park played OK, had a rut there in the first half and was hurt by drops. Montgomery is just a flat out stud, anyone that is saying Butler is better than him LOL. WR's had a lot of drops but ran some really good routes. Roasted Iowa's secondary all day.

ISU defensively - Awful overall. I thought our DT's looked pretty solid and losing Cotton Moya really hurt. LB's were terrible outside of Spears. That was the biggest disappointment overall.

Special teams - our punter is a lot better than theirs
I don't know what's more impressive. The fact that your analysis was very good and accurate or that you made it through an entire post without trolling hok fans lol

• Funny
Reactions: Herkster

Hawkmi1987

Jun 27, 2016
Newton, Ia
What did you disagree with @Hawkmi1987?
That QB that "didn't look very good today" and the one that you "weren't very impressed with at all" shredded your D today for over 300 yards and 5 TD's and outplayed your "elite" QB. Stanley played one hell of a game. Granted he missed on three deep balls that would have each been 6, but he impressed the hell out of me. He is only going to get better. Two more years of Nate Stanley has me very optimistic about Iowa's future.

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
That QB that "didn't look very good today" and the one that you "weren't very impressed with at all" shredded your D today for over 300 yards and 5 TD's and outplayed your "elite" QB. Stanley played one hell of a game. Granted he missed on three deep balls that would have each been 6, but he impressed the hell out of me. He is only going to get better. Two more years of Nate Stanley has me very optimistic about Iowa's future.
I agree with this-Stanley coming in to a hostile environment being a new QB? Hats off to him. ISU much improved. Just 2 teams with 2 different styles suited for their conference. Better team won today with a lot of guts. Could easily have folded.

• Agree
Reactions: HawkeyeMashup

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Did he even complete a pass thrown further than 15 yards? I didn't think he was very accurate at all. Everyone is talking about how bad his deep ball is which is justified but he had Fant wide open on a little pick play for a TD and threw one of the worst balls I've ever seen

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
ISU had more talent, Iowa wanted it more. Hats off to both teams

-Iowa had a better 247 composite ranking every year for the last 5 years.

-Iowa has put way more players in the NFL that is the greatest evidence of talent

-Iowa has more NFL prospects on this team than ISU

-Iowa will have more all conference performers than ISU will

There isn’t a talent measure that you could actually point to and say the ISU roster has more talent than Iowa and not just be flat out lying like you are.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Congrats to Iowa on a successful season.

Nothing deters you from your trolls. I gotta admire your dedication to your mission in life. Your ability to shake off soul crushing losses to start your trolls a new is impressive. You and CMC can now reset your Beat Iowa clock to 364 days and start working toward next year.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
-Iowa had a better 247 composite ranking every year for the last 5 years.

-Iowa has put way more players in the NFL that is the greatest evidence of talent

-Iowa has more NFL prospects on this team than ISU

-Iowa will have more all conference performers than ISU will

There isn’t a talent measure that you could actually point to and say the ISU roster has more talent than Iowa and not just be flat out lying like you are.

What was Jewell's composite compared to Montgomery's