Official Board of Regents Tuesday Meeting Thread

Warder60

Jun 2, 2006
Denver
It most certainly does not exist. Vice President of Student Affairs Dean (name escapes me), when asked to elaborate on the difference between the formal process and informal process, stated that there is no informal process.

He also noted that he and his office weren't informed of the assult for quite some time - I gathered weeks if not months.

(if anyone can cite a source on this - please do so, I'm looking but can't find it)

So you are 100% correct - how can they say the followed procedure when what they did is deemed by the person in charge as not a procedure at all?

I haven't seen anyone post this yet, but I found this "timeline" on the Press Citizen.
http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008807190324

If y'all haven't seen it yet... it points out some violations by the University on ignoring requests for disclosure of information (and they site the Chapter they're in violation of too)

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I can't get anything but the welcome screen, keep us updated.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Here's my guess: In the past, KF has limited access to the U of I Football program to those media types who have been critical. Whether that is just limited to snapping at reporters in irritation of being asked questions about his son's living situation back in the day, or excluding them for press events, I don't know.

But this would be a really, really bad time for a reporter or a media outlet to be put on KF's bad side, considering that this state's media profits are all about who gets to cover the hawks.

Just a theory of mine, feel free to critique it, but that's the only reason I can imagine for the reticence of the press to take this to the wall. It's also possible that they fear the inevitable hawkfan backlash, once the fanbase gets tired of the story.

At this point, why not sick the "real" reporters on the case instead of the sports guys. I think it certainly transcends the sports department at this point.

At any rate, it's not like the register does anything with the inside information it gets anyway, other than to sit on it, so why does it matter if they aren't getting it anymore? I can't remember the last time the DMR scooped anyone on a sports story of relevance, including recruiting.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Ok, I listened to it... not sure what they really decided. Ok, I guess they decided to do an inquiry into the matter, so that was the most worthwhile waste of time ever.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I can't get anything but the welcome screen, keep us updated.

You didn't miss much. They re-opened the investigation, and David Miles said that the U of I withholding these letters was a "breach of trust." A report on their finding is supposed to be done by, I believe, September 18th. It sounded like there would be external help in the investigation.

Last edited:

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I caught they voted unamiously to re-open the inquiry, as well as the fact that the BOR doesn't have subpeona power for records. Didn't catch if it will be an external investigation or not.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I really wish this was taped for replay. At the beginning when they were waiting for the regents to get phone connections, there was a one on one conversation that wasn't to be aired but the mic was on.(Miles was one I believe) I heard the word conspiricy. Anyone able to hear what else was said?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Ok, I listened to it... not sure what they really decided. Ok, I guess they decided to do an inquiry into the matter, so that was the most worthwhile waste of time ever.

Undoubtedly at a cost of mere thousands to the Iowa taxpayer in travel, food, etc.

But what the heck - they'll get to check out their new luxury box seats over at kinnick....

:confused:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one here who thinks this is basically going to end with "The University of Iowa did what it thought was best by following established procedures. We see fault in those procedures and will look to revise them. In the mean time we can find no one at fault here based on the fact that everyone followed the procedures that were in place. Thanks!" I really hope I'm wrong here, but after what seems to have just transpired in that meeting, It seems the brush away is already started.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one here who thinks this is basically going to end with "The University of Iowa did what it thought was best by following established procedures. We see fault in those procedures and will look to revise them. In the mean time we can find no one at fault here based on the fact that everyone followed the procedures that were in place. Thanks!" I really hope I'm wrong here, but after what seems to have just transpired in that meeting, It seems the brush away is already started.

I'd bet that the BOR is copying that down word for word...... :wink:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!!! :no:

And what do we have for him Johnny?

Well, we've got an all expense paid round of business as usual in Iowa City, brought to you by the Iowa tax payer! You and a guest will enjoy more of the same crimes that you have come to know and love from the iowa football program. You will also receive all the carefully worded written statements from university officials that you care to hear! All this leading up to an even bigger train wreck that will be even harder to sweep under the rug!

This prize package is valued at $3 million per year!

Reactions: IcSyU

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Yup. And something along the line of " We regret that some individuals may not have acted in the best interest of the alleged victim. These individuals will be appropriately reprimanded in accordance with University policy."

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Wow!!! Bonnie Campbell heading this up is the BEST POSSIBLE NEWS...trust me on this. She will not be stonewalled.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
It most certainly does not exist. Vice President of Student Affairs Dean (name escapes me), when asked to elaborate on the difference between the formal process and informal process, stated that there is no informal process.

He also noted that he and his office weren't informed of the assult for quite some time - I gathered weeks if not months.

(if anyone can cite a source on this - please do so, I'm looking but can't find it)

So you are 100% correct - how can they say the followed procedure when what they did is deemed by the person in charge as not a procedure at all?

I heard this on the news. His name is Philip Jones and he's the Dean of Student Services. He is supposed to be informed immediately whenever a sexual assault is reported on campus, and in this case it was evidently several weeks before he was informed. It was also reported that when he was asked to explain how the informal option works for handling sexual assault complaints, his reply was that there is no informal process.

At a minimum, whoever informed the victim and her parents of the "informal option" is going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron