***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Watched the news last night, they showed a summary of last week's tornado paths. I'm pretty sure property insurance isn't going down anytime soon.
Yeah, I saw pictures of a building who insurance is covering At replacement and even I knew the support structures were failing and any decent wind would take it out. The owner never got around to reinforcing it. Well, now I get to help pay for it since the adjuster decided to either not look at it or can’t tell when something is totally shot.

It’s like having a blown engine in a car, pushing it down the hill to hit another and then having collision replace the motor since the accident was the reason it didn’t run.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Driving down to the airport on S14, massive loss of trees in one part of it. If you draw a line from Cambridge to the Indian creek Country Club a Mike south of Nevada, that's where the trees are down. Some severely listing telephone poles as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Driving down to the airport on S14, massive loss of trees in one part of it. If you draw a line from Cambridge to the Indian creek Country Club a Mike south of Nevada, that's where the trees are down. Some severely listing telephone poles as well.
For me the closest Mike is like 12 blocks SW or 6 miles north.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My ultra green lawn disagrees.

Quite the change for me after two summers of drought just west of Mpls. I keep track of my mowing as sort of a running joke with farmer friend in Iowa as I track my mower hours (actually it's mower minutes with my mini yard). I only mowed five times last summer and six the summer before.

Reactions: FerShizzle

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I live on an acreage of a little over 4 acres. Having farmed for most of my life I have an obsession to weeds and therefore mow it all. If you eliminate the area occupied by trees, buildings, etc., I figure I (conservatively) mow over 3 acres. According to Wiki there are on the average 3000 blades of grass per square foot. Math says I clip over 400 million blades of grass each mowing. With all the wind we've had it's almost impossible not to ingest a share of the clippings. I know this has little to do with weather, but I have one looming question: Why does my wife insist I eat vegetables with every meal?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I live on an acreage of a little over 4 acres. Having farmed for most of my life I have an obsession to weeds and therefore mow it all. If you eliminate the area occupied by trees, buildings, etc., I figure I (conservatively) mow over 3 acres. According to Wiki there are on the average 3000 blades of grass per square foot. Math says I clip over 400 million blades of grass each mowing. With all the wind we've had it's almost impossible not to ingest a share of the clippings. I know this has little to do with weather, but I have one looming question: Why does my wife insist I eat vegetables with every meal?
Breath with your nose and not your mouth hanging open.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Seems lately like I'm buying more gas for the mower than for my car.
A study published this past March found that cutting the grass every two weeks resulted in significantly higher bee abundance. Less frequent mowing gives lawn flowers like dandelions and clover – this is where social pressure comes to bear – a little more time to grow and blossom, resulting in nourishment for bees.
I mow regularly but have converted considerable space to ground covers and natives. I’ve never seen as many fat, happy bumblebees as I have this spring.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023

I mow regularly but have converted considerable space to ground covers and natives. I’ve never seen as many fat, happy bumblebees as I have this spring.
We have several flower beds that more than replace any dandelions or clover that I don't appreciate in my lawn. Directly across the road is a 4 or 5 acre patch of wildflowers still enrolled in the "pollinator project". Can't say I've noticed more or less bees over time before or after it was planted. I try to be "bee conscious" with any pesticide practices.

Reactions: Turn2

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

We have lots of native plants...or weeds as some people call them. But remember, a weed is just a plant growing where a human doesn't want it to grow! We have had a high bumblee and honeybee population for about ten years now.
We have a large brush pile for over-wintering birds to shelter in, and find bugs to eat. We burn that after the weather warms up and the birds have moved out. In addition to the birds that are here all winter, we have a lot of migratory birds that return every year. Seeing all our birds and bees makes me much happier than a closely trimmed lawn. It's why we moved to an acreage. To each his/her own, I suppose.

And yeah, yeah, I know. I tried to think of a better way to word that but couldn't. So have at it with the TWSS jokes!

Help Support Us

Become a patron