***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I was startled awake this morning to my phone blaring the warning. After I practiced my Kung fu to get it turned off I realized we weren't even in the warning. It sure got the blood pumping though.
It's like when those amber alerts go off, those are wakeruppers also.

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
Worse thing is army school it's not like had options.
and an Army school on North Fort Hood in July. Lived in metal Quonset huts with no AC. when we went to the field we were in a Bradly FV. I think I lost 30 pounds in that class.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The real key to major flooding in Iowa is the Raccoon River. Back in the 1800s, old timers would say that if the Raccoon floods, then Ottumwa and Keosauqua will flood. they are right. Among the top crests of the Raccoon River are 1947, 1993 and 2008. All three of those years, the Des Moines River had major floods. So far, the Raccoon has been Ok, this year, which is a good omen. However, Red Rock has been quietly filling up, rising about one foot per day.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
The real key to major flooding in Iowa is the Raccoon River. Back in the 1800s, old timers would say that if the Raccoon floods, then Ottumwa and Keosauqua will flood. they are right. Among the top crests of the Raccoon River are 1947, 1993 and 2008. All three of those years, the Des Moines River had major floods. So far, the Raccoon has been Ok, this year, which is a good omen. However, Red Rock has been quietly filling up, rising about one foot per day.
If they dumped Saylorville at the rate it's been rising Red Rock would have a similar rise. Check the 14 day stage height chart for Saylorville.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Silly question what is a water table? My only definition is how far below ground level you go before you find standing water.
I think that's basically it. Dig a hole, give it a couple hours for ground water to trickle in and see how high up it goes. That's the water table.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
If they dumped Saylorville at the rate it's been rising Red Rock would have a similar rise. Check the 14 day stage height chart for Saylorville.
According to the Army Corps, the Raccoon River is accounting for roughly a third to 40% of the intake at Red Rock. The intake today above Saylorville is 25 CFS (Saylorville is holding back 5 to 10 CFS) and the Raccoon is dumping 15 CFS into Red Rock, That’s today and is probably higher than the 14 day average. Fortunately Saylorville still has 75% of their storage capacity. Red Rock is very fortunate that the Raccoon is below flood stage.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Our sirens sounded louder than usual this morning - not sure if they change the volume during overnight hours, or if the silence of 4am amplified them in my head.
Sounds are definitely "louder" at night. Try listening to music at 3AM some night. It's amazing how loud and clear it is even at low volume.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sounds are definitely "louder" at night. Try listening to music at 3AM some night. It's amazing how loud and clear it is even at low volume.

When I'm camping and a leaf is blowing even a little I'm convinced it's a black bear or some weirdo.

It's why I usually wear ear plugs. Can't worry about something I can't hear.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Not supposed to rain until midnight, so should be fine unless it's a pretty late concert. Might mess up plans for a post concert tailgate though.
I'm guessing everyone on the planet just heard my sigh of relief... :D

Also, I've been playing some Chris Stapleton over the past few days. I've discovered that I know almost none of his songs...unlike Strait & Little Big Town,

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Not supposed to rain until midnight, so should be fine unless it's a pretty late concert. Might mess up plans for a post concert tailgate though.
Are we supposed to get any sever stuff overnight, or just rain in central Iowa? I've been cleaning up tree debris for 5 days in a row already....

• Sad
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
You poor son of a guns down in Iowa ready for Round 3? This caught my eye when news surfin'.

View attachment 129462

West Nishnabotna set a crest record at Hancock last week or close to it. 3-7 inch rains in Shelby County are commonplace this year. No canoes or kayaks for at least the last two years. Its about 1/3 full now. Most farmers give thanks to hills and terraces in wet weather like this. Not much flat ground except for the West Nishnabotna branches. There are no drainage districts in Shelby County for those of readers who know what they are. If the crops are planted, too much water is hardly ever an issue if proper waterways are in place. Unless it is 3-5 inches in an hour or two.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Sh*t's about to hit the fan in TX and Oklahoma. They've been worried about this one and it appears the atmosphere has aligned for a really nasty few hours.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron