NBA: ***OFFICIAL 2018-2019 REGULAR SEASON THREAD***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think there's a fair argument to be made for Morant over Zion as well and I think he actually puts up better numbers next year. He's basically the perfect fit on both ends for the modern NBA. Zion has really impressed me this year though, for him to be a super star he needs to become a good 3 point shooter. I will say, he's a much better defender than I expected him to be, he has unreal instincts and can close so much ground. He also competes. That's a skill in itself, he goes hard non-stop. This is where any Wiggins comparison goes right out the window for me.

I agree that there's no comparison between the two when it comes to effort. Zion brought it on both ends of the court every game. I was just pointing to how they were both elite athletes but not complete basketball players going into the NBA.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJack13

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I agree that there's no comparison between the two when it comes to effort. Zion brought it on both ends of the court every game. I was just pointing to how they were both elite athletes but not complete basketball players going into the NBA.

I agree on that, which is one of the reasons it's so frustrating how much Wiggins struggles on defense. There's no reason he shouldn't be an elite defender but instead is literally one of the worst defenders in the league. That max deal is so terrible for the Wolves.

Zion's defensive ability gives him a real high floor. If you take his worst case scenario offensive projection, say he really struggles with his jumper, it takes him a while to adjust to not having quite the same insane athletic advantage over everyone, he can still be a 14-16 ppg guy off of just pick and roll lobs and offensive rebounds. Plus you can build your defensive scheme around him, that gives any team a lot of value while allowing time for him to develop on the offensive end.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I agree on that, which is one of the reasons it's so frustrating how much Wiggins struggles on defense. There's no reason he shouldn't be an elite defender but instead is literally one of the worst defenders in the league. That max deal is so terrible for the Wolves.

Zion's defensive ability gives him a real high floor. If you take his worst case scenario offensive projection, say he really struggles with his jumper, it takes him a while to adjust to not having quite the same insane athletic advantage over everyone, he can still be a 14-16 ppg guy off of just pick and roll lobs and offensive rebounds. Plus you can build your defensive scheme around him, that gives any team a lot of value while allowing time for him to develop on the offensive end.

Another thing I like about him is his poise off court. He was in the middle of a media circus all season and I'm struggling to remember any time where he didn't say all the right things. Maybe after their game in MSG when he was asked about playing for the Knicks, but even that was pretty harmless. Impressive for a kid that age.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I'd kind of like to see him land in Dallas with Porzingis and Doncic. That would be a fun junior Big Three to build around. Long odds - I think the Mavs currently own the fifth or sixth worst record in the league - but I like the idea.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Oh hey, Zhaire Smith is playing now. Good to see him back on the court.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Why couldn’t JJ Redick play like that in Milwaukee? Giannis is clearly the MVP. He refused to lose tonight.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Saw this in an article on the Ringer today, Milwaukee is the 8th team in NBA history with 45 wins by 10+ points in a single season, all seven other teams went on to win the title.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Steph with a weird looking non-contact injury in a meaningless game for Golden State.

I can’t find a clip of it, but the Warriors would be fortunate if it was just a mild foot sprain.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
You could argue pretty easily that he still is a massive failure with the Lebron signing. Im guessing he wanted to fire Walton, and Buss didnt?

I think Walton is done either way. Pelinka, too. Jeannie Buss might he cleaning house.