***Official 2017 ISU Football Recruiting Thread***

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
D-Lineman Akial Byers is a guy I hope we land.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/168925

We offered before all the big boys. He is expected to get a lot of offers during his senior year, a lot of SEC schools...

From his HS coach: "Arkansas, Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Stanford, Michigan are the schools showing the most interest."

As a freshman, Byers received a scholarship offer from Mississippi State after assistant Deshea Townsend mistook him for tight end C.J. O’Grady during offseason workouts.
“I get down there and Coach Townsend said 'Coach we love him.We want the kid', Patton said. "And I asked ‘Who are you talking about?’ and he said ‘C.J. O’Grady’. I said ‘C.J. isn’t here this morning’ and he goes ‘Who is that kid’ and I said ‘That’s Akial Byers, he’s a freshman. He’ll be a sophomore next year’.”
Patton said Byers, who attended an Arkansas camp this summer, plays basketball and hasn’t been timed in the 40 yard dash.
“He’s such a freak athletically, that I would say he’s probably in the 4.8s,” Patton said.
Fort Smith Northside avoided Byers, who’s playing the three technique.
“They were double teaming him and running on the perimeter, but when he was not in there they were running in between the tackles,” Patton said. “He’s a difference maker.”

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I know the iowa guys don't have the size that the others do but they both look really good. Newell will end up getting a bunch of offers if he can gain another 25 lbs. His technique is really good. Dystra looks like he has a mean streak. I think both would be contributers after 2-3 years in the program. The other O line guys might be an earlier impact.

A couple of those LBs look like they could be good. Will be interesting to see how much muscle they can put on before their senior years. A couple a pretty small

If they are Olinemen with a mean streak I want them. ISU needs that blue collar identity in the trenches. Look what they built at places like Wiscy, Arkansas and yes unfortunately eiu. Get that identity and it makes it that much better towards getting good linemen.

That's why I like Green and Forbes. Both guys look like they have that mean streak in them

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
D-Lineman Akial Byers is a guy I hope we land.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/168925

We offered before all the big boys. He is expected to get a lot of offers during his senior year, a lot of SEC schools...

From his HS coach: "Arkansas, Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Stanford, Michigan are the schools showing the most interest."

As a freshman, Byers received a scholarship offer from Mississippi State after assistant Deshea Townsend mistook him for tight end C.J. O’Grady during offseason workouts.
“I get down there and Coach Townsend said 'Coach we love him.We want the kid', Patton said. "And I asked ‘Who are you talking about?’ and he said ‘C.J. O’Grady’. I said ‘C.J. isn’t here this morning’ and he goes ‘Who is that kid’ and I said ‘That’s Akial Byers, he’s a freshman. He’ll be a sophomore next year’.”
Patton said Byers, who attended an Arkansas camp this summer, plays basketball and hasn’t been timed in the 40 yard dash.
“He’s such a freak athletically, that I would say he’s probably in the 4.8s,” Patton said.
Fort Smith Northside avoided Byers, who’s playing the three technique.
“They were double teaming him and running on the perimeter, but when he was not in there they were running in between the tackles,” Patton said. “He’s a difference maker.”

Would be an awesome get, but after watching his tape I bet he ends with any offer he wants...that looks like an NFL DT being 6'4 260 as a junior and that quick

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
A couple more new offers:

JUCO OT Badara Traore Nassau CC in Garden City, NY. This kid is 6'8" 310 lbs and has additional offers from Arizona St., Louisville and The University Who Shall Not Be Named.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/188515
[video=youtube;vtqgGqvjk_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtqgGqvjk_8[/video]
The block at 1:05 is funny.

JUCO OT Elliot Baker City College of San Francisco. 6'7" 295 lbs. Additional offers from Arizona St., Illinois, Louisville, Mizzou and Washington St... Does ASU offer every single JUCO kid in the country every year???
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/187768

Last edited:

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
Incoming FR Deshaunte Jones going up against future Cyclone RB (I hope!!) Jarell White...

[video=youtube;oKdLsZXWedw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKdLsZXWedw[/video]

Jarell recently listed his top 3 as Illinois, Kentucky and Iowa. Hope we can get him in for a visit this fall.

Last edited:

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
I love that we are recruiting from LaSalle and Colerain. Check out the game winning field goal from that same game.

[video=youtube;4D9DjvCPRtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D9DjvCPRtw[/video]

Pretty sure they said the kicker was a 6'8" freshman but I could have misheard. No matter what grade he is, I hope we are recruiting him. Nailed a high pressure 41 yarder with plenty of distance to spare.

EDIT: Nvm. The 6'8" FR was on defense.

Last edited:

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Have we offered any JC DT or DE yet. Looks to me to be the biggest need unless this year's recruiting class can all get ready in 1 year

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
You can take Djimon Colbert off the list. Announced he is deciding between Iowa and Nebraska next month

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Have we offered any JC DT or DE yet. Looks to me to be the biggest need unless this year's recruiting class can all get ready in 1 year
I think the same thing. I spoke to the d line coach last night at the cf recruiting party. I asked him about recruiting some juco's because of a lack of underclass men. He said "maybe" but they preferred high school kids and thought there are some decent underclass men on campus. I certainly did not get a sense that juco's were a priority. He did say that they were just in to winter workouts. I think they will draw more conclusions after all the workouts and testing are complete. He confirmed basic 4-2-5 set, but said they would be variable based on the opponent and situation. Said they could use up to 7 db's depending on the situation. In the 4-2 -5 I asked what they were looking for from the linebackers. He said a "traditional" Mike and the other position capable of playing more in space.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I think the same thing. I spoke to the d line coach last night at the cf recruiting party. I asked him about recruiting some juco's because of a lack of underclass men. He said "maybe" but they preferred high school kids and thought there are some decent underclass men on campus. I certainly did not get a sense that juco's were a priority. He did say that they were just in to winter workouts. I think they will draw more conclusions after all the workouts and testing are complete. He confirmed basic 4-2-5 set, but said they would be variable based on the opponent and situation. Said they could use up to 7 db's depending on the situation. In the 4-2 -5 I asked what they were looking for from the linebackers. He said a "traditional" Mike and the other position capable of playing more in space.

Good stuff. That McMillan kid looks to be about as traditional Mike LB as you can find size why and his ability to read plays

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley

Looking at the rest of the D line it looks like he must think those New guys will be ready after 1 year. We are going to be so thin. We graduate 8 DL next year.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Looking at the rest of the D line it looks like he must think those New guys will be ready after 1 year. We are going to be so thin. We graduate 8 DL next year.
I agree. That's why I asked.... Thought for sure they might go after a couple juco's, maybe they still will. I agree, going high school is a better route. Rhoads had convinced me we could not recruit quality high school d linemen and that juco was the way to go. If these guys can get the high school kids......I am more than happy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron