*** Official #10 Oklahoma vs #6 IOWA STATE Big 12 Conference Championship Game(Day) Thread ***

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That's not a valid reason to not give the current group the best chance.

Of course not. Mistakes were made. We made a lot of them. Oklahoma made some.

If we want to become an elite football program, you have to grow. It doesn't happen overnight.

I'm just disappointed at how many people are losing their god damn mind over this. We have posts calling for our god damn quarterback to leave. We want to fire staff members. For ****'s sake.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah I'm not "against" our players. I mistook him for a senior and simply hoped, in that wrong case, he wouldn't take the extra covid year of eligibility and put our next QB an extra year behind in developing. I was wrong. But I maintain his decision making is a bigger issue than his upside in big games, and that his deep ball keeps losing accuracy and was better his freshman year.
Can you name a qb we've had with a huge upside? How deep ball wasn't better, he just had better deep ball targets. Landon Akers does not equal Hakeem butler.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
You'd still want him gone to be replaced by someone for developmental reasons... versus winning right now? It's a mindblowingly stupid take either way.

Well if you take no Purdy = losing as a given, then yes, that'd be dumb.

But as I've said, most of our playbook right now are short passes, partly because Purdy whiffed the deep ball all year. And yet we get these terrible Favre like moments where he forces it and blows it. We didn't need a hero this game, we only needed good game management.

I don't concede that Dekkers is an automatic downgrade from the start. But we can't put him in with Purdy as a senior. This is why I was saying I hoped Purdy chose not to come back with an extra year of eligibility, when I wrongly thought he was a senior. Yes, I would take moving on in that case (which isn't the case! I know!) because I simply expect Purdy to throw away the huge games.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I was surprised with Kene’s first 2 fair catches. He hasn’t been able to return a kick since Baylor. I know this is out of left field at this point of the day, just something I noticed.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
To point a finer point on all of this. It's fine to be disappointed we lost. It's fine to be sad we lost.

But there are far too many people angry that we lost. And there are far too many people that think that Oklahoma had no effect on us playing bad.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Iowa State is better. Better coaching, already beat them once, and finished a game ahead of them. Nobody will remember that though outside of Central Iowa because Oklahoma are the Big 12 "champions now" all because Manning panicked and no other coach thought to call a timeout and settle down.

A good amount of people from outside of central Iowa who follow college football closely will remember us being atop the regular season standings this year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Iluvteak

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Nobody is against Purdy. But when your team preaches “winning in the margins” you’re QB has to at least pretend to value the football. Those were freshman like INTs, all 3 of them. The last one all he had to do is simply dump it 5 yards to Soehner and it’s first and goal....

The oline got whipped today. But he did make some bad choices.

Reactions: CloneDontCare

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Look, Purdy's 3 picks were bad, no doubt. He was harassed all day long.

This game was lost on special teams: 10 easy points for OU at critical moments. 10 points! Special teams killed us all year.

The reason why Purdy doesn't throw deep is because he doesn't have the WR threat this year. This year's offense was built on the run and the TE's.

ISU simply made too many mistakes today. If they played it clean, ISU wins by 10.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I have the sads. Didn’t realize Eisworth was a senior until they showed the list of all the seniors on the Jumbotron. Really hope he comes back next year.

Reactions: Neptune78

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Look, Purdy's 3 picks were bad, no doubt. He was harassed all day long.

This game was lost on special teams: 10 easy points for OU at critical moments. 10 points! Special teams killed us all year.

The reason why Purdy doesn't throw deep is because he doesn't have the WR threat this year. This year's offense was built on the run and the TE's.

ISU simply made too many mistakes today. If they played it clean, ISU wins by 10.

Could be wrong but iirc many of his picks on long throws under threw an open receiver. He doesn't throw a long ball very well.

Before the 'but what about Bulter?' comes up, go look at Butler's catches and see how it was often basically a jump ball.

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
I just don't understand how our offensive plan was to run up the middle all game against one of the best DLs out there,, when our advantages were elsewhere. Almost all the outside runs and med distances passes worked.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Could be wrong but iirc many of his picks on long throws under threw an open receiver. He doesn't throw a long ball very well.

Before the 'but what about Bulter?' comes up, go look at Butler's catches and see how it was often basically a jump ball.
I do think if Purdy had more time to throw, some of those would have turned out fine. That being said, He needs a senior year to polish his game before the NFL.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron