*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah, as much as it hurts to lose. They kept playing and made Illinois work for it. Gotta love that.

We need someone to step up and be that tough as old shoe leather like guy, like Shead for Houston or Kane for us from years back.
Tamin does this. And Gilbert has shown flashes of it, just needs to do it more consistently.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Man, I know we overperformed expectations.

But it would be nice just one year to have a deep run to at least the elite 8. We've seen so many other big 12 teams do it. So many random directional schools do it. But we're now 0-4 in sweet 16s in recent memory. Multiple times performing below seed expectations (including, now, this year). And this one largely because we pretty much gave that game away.

There's just a cumulative frustration to it.

Seeing teams like Clemson, NC State, FAU, Loyola Chicago etc make these deep runs and us just never getting that high just doesn’t make sense. You’d figure a deep run would happen SOMETIME

Last edited:

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Man, I know we overperformed expectations.

But it would be nice just one year to have a deep run to at least the elite 8. We've seen so many other big 12 teams do it. So many random directional schools do it. But we're now 0-4 in sweet 16s in recent memory. Multiple times performing below seed expectations (including, now, this year). And this one largely because we pretty much gave that game away.

There's just a cumulative frustration to it.
Agreed, but on the bright side this is two sweet sixteens in three years for this coaching staff.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
3 plays. That fluke tip in by them in the first half, Keshon missing a wide open layup to tie it, and Tre botching one late to cut it to two.

I want to throw up.

Reactions: Cyclad

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
We have some big time recruits just waiting in the wings and a true freshman that was just baptised in fire. Hopefully the bench guys (Rock and Omaha) are developing and not misses that transfer out. If they develop up to their potential, watch out! This team could be legit final 4 material. We are only for sure losing our current 5s, I think.

I hope so....I really do. Games like tonight take a hit on my optimism that the "legit Final Four material" teams will really happen at Iowa State. But I'll get it back. I trust TJ and love my Cyclones.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Yeah! How about Rob Jones making 2 down the stretch!! After a steal.layup too! Not his best game. But he sure showed us why we love him down the stretch. Was doing everything he could to win

Not the most physically gifted 5, but no one can ever doubt his effort and dedication. He played smarter every season and even developed some offensive moves. Every season I think he's hit his ceiling, but he just raises it.

He improved soooooo much over these 3 seasons. Hope he gets paid to play some euro ball or something.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I subscribe to the Greg gard philosophy... you get to enough s16s, you will get ti some e8. You get to some e8, you will get some ff. I'll absolutely take what tjnhas done in 3 years.
Greg Gard? I like the philosophy but he’s the last guy who should be using that example. Haha

Reactions: cyclonestunners

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
Iowa State was 17/21 at the free throw line. That's outstanding. But they only made 6 three pointers.

Gave up 17 offensive rebounds. That needs to be addressed.
the offensive rebounds just seemed to either go long or ISU did not box very well. illinios seemed to stick a hand in and knock the ball loose at times also. still a good fight.

Reactions: CycloneSpinning

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Being honest I can only think of two plays that were sure things that we missed. Keshon’s layup after the steal and King’s missed layup when he had time to catch, land, and go back up and the end of the game.
Agree. Illinois is not a great defensive team, but they are tall and athletic and I think it was affecting several of these close looks.

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
Said early in the year didn’t think this team could do anything to disappoint me and it held true.

Wish Milan wasn’t a freshman. The back door was there a lot tonight with how they were jumping the lanes.

Shots weren’t falling in the first, but they battled. Hard to leave pts on the table but they overachieved and displayed a ton of heart and grit.

This is 2/3 years reaching S16, with R32 talent. Increase scoring talent and we have a national contender.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'm proud of our guys! We had our chances and just didn't make enough shots, had some costly TO's. Hats of to Illinois. We could not recover from the 1st half, and credit to Illinois coming out of the box strong.

Learn from it, build on it, come back next year and get it going again. We had a great year!! It was a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron