*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
You just can't bury yourself in the first half and expect to come back every game.

On one hand you can argue we were terrible at layups, but their uncharacteristic FT shooting kind of offsets that in a way.

Milan simply has to provide more on offense.

If ISU had won that game, they'd have stolen it. Never deserved the win at any point in that game.

I feel like Milan goes as his shot goes, and I don't mean that in a shooting sense. I feel like if his shot doesn't land, he becomes a liability due to lack of confidence. His game, other than that fadeaway shot, just isn't developed enough. I think it'll come, though.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I mean, you ALWAYS want to win in the tournament…but a consolation prize of not having to play UConn a couple hours away from their campus isn’t terrible. That team is something else.
With the ISU seasons usually end. I’m convinced UConn lays an egg Saturday and Illinois skips into the Championship game.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
So many plays and sequences cost us but aside from the two point blank layups, to me the sequence late where Shannon hit a three when he came back in and then their guy double clutched and nailed a three off our lazy trap.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I’m so sick of getting down big early in the sweet 16. Has happened each of the last 4 times. Avoid that start and make the damn layups and we win this game running away.
Yeah feels like we always dig ourselves a hole in these games. I'd love to rewatch this game but Gilbert hits that wide open layup and we see what happens

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
IL was clearly the better team tonight. I think we probably win that game 7 out of 10 times, it just wasn’t tonight. People will say it was effort, coaching, or refs, but shots just wouldn’t drop.

We missed 13 layups and or dunks tonight. If those fall, we win easily. If one more guy had a decent night, we win. It just wasn’t in the cards tonight.

Proud of the guys and coaches, still a monumental achievement compared to coming into the season.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Overall we had a great season, finished second during the regular season and won the conference tournament.

To win and advance from here on out we were going to have to shoot the ball at a high clip, and we could not buy a basket most of the first half. Illinois size bothered us and forced us to over think, and we blew plenty of easy baskets that would have been the difference.

Seem like we really played very tight the first half, while Illinois came out very lose and got the ball to Shannon who just killed us. I thought on this run, we would go as far as Milan would take us, he was the wildcard, and tonight he was crap. He is one of those players that needs to hit a couple of shots early in the game and get it going, he couldn't do that tonight.
We also did a horrible job rebounding their misses and given them 2nd and 3rd chances after we would play solid defense for most of the 30 seconds.

ISU should be better next season, Illinois loses everyone worth a damn. Keep your head up and keep moving forward.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
R Jones and Ward were a complete no show on offense.
Momcilovich had his worst game of the year. Keshon was horrible in the first half. That's ball game.

Still excited for next season. But I was thinking Elite 8 this year, still a successful season.
Might want to check your box score.

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
Eh I really don’t think Illinois played that well truthfully. Early on yes but for almost 3/4 of that game I don’t think they did much that was anything crazy.
Agree. That first 10 minutes was the difference . We were tentative. They were not. Wish we had been more aggressive early.