cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Took me a while to get back to this... I posted the Defensive breakdown here:

Next, I took a look at the Offense.

Wide Receiver:
Like most of the team, the majority of the production is returning here and we also have a couple of new guys from the transfer portal (Isaiah Alston, Eli Green).

About 75% of the snaps, and roughly 85%-90% of the Yards, Targets, Receptions all return. It will be interesting to see how much guys other than Higgins/Noel get involved. Jackson played in every game and had over 300 total snaps, but was only targeted on 15% of routes (vs. 24% for Higgins, 29% Noel). Stanley/Bitter/Gaines combined for 26 targets and 230 yds and were targeted on 10% of routes run (combined, about the same as Jackson's production).

1716578528331.png

Tight End:
At Tight End we actually have a starter to replace. Easton Dean had almost 350 snaps last year. Lots of young guys will compete with the returners here for those Snaps (346), Targets (22), and Yds (171). Overall, TEs were targeted on 19% of their routes run, similar to WRs who were targeted on 21% of their routes run. Brahmer was 2nd only to Noel in target% with a rate of 27% (targets/route run, min 10 routes).

1716580178812.png

Offensive Line:
At Offensive Line, the top 5 starters at the end of the season all return. A couple of the depth pieces are lost, but lots of young guys plus two transfers will add competition for the starting snaps (including Jalen Travis, Princeton, and Dylan Barrett, Wisconsin). Overall though, over 90% of the snaps are returning. Hopefully, the line takes a step forward this year.

1716582201631.png

Running Back:
The Running Back position has about 50% of the production to replace. Less than half the Snaps, Yds, and Carries return. However, it is also a position where we could see significant improvement with Sama becoming the primary back at the end of last season. Overall, Sama averaged over 7 yds per carry (more than any other back on the roster). But, much of that was from the BYU and KSU games when he averaged 13.8 and 17.3 yds/att respectively. In the memphis and texas games, he averaged 0.8 with 15 yds on 19 carries. I don't put those performances on him (I blame them on the OL primarily). But we will see how effective the run game is next season. Hoping for improvement on the OL and at RB.

1716583354065.png

(I don't think we need a chart for QB.... Rocco is back and so is J.J., the end)

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
In the memphis and texas games, he averaged 0.8 with 15 yds on 19 carries. I don't put those performances on him (I blame them on the OL primarily).

I blame the playcalling and complete lack of originality. Yes; Texas was dominant up front, but Memphis knew the play before the ball was snapped. Sure- they had some insight into our playbook, but we had a month to prepare.

Reactions: exCYtable

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Informative, thanks for doing all of this work!

*I don’t think that replacing the snaps at TE is going to be much of a problem. The returnees are going to be fighting to stay ahead of Cooper Alexander—who might have a season close to what Brahmer did.

He has the advantage of being around for Spring term, and all that S&C time that Ben could have used.

And the list for possible new wideout contribution is really long—long enough that our two very fast and athletic freshmen may still redshirt.

When Deylin Hasert is fully healthy, he might be our best NFL prospect on offense. Er, among the non freshmen.

We only saw the tip of the iceberg of what Carson Hansen can do—let alone Abu.

Our QB recruiting has been on a ROLL the last several years. All of these high school guys are at least as good as the best Cyclone HS QB signees I’ve seen over the last 40+ years.

That would be Arnaud, Meyer and Rosenfels—the latter two who weren’t much noticed on the recruiting front. Oh…and Bobby Utter.

What’s not to love!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Informative, thanks for doing all of this work!

*I don’t think that replacing the snaps at TE is going to be much of a problem. The returnees are going to be fighting to stay ahead of Cooper Alexander—who might have a season close to what Brahmer did.

He has the advantage of being around for Spring term, and all that S&C time that Ben could have used.

And the list for possible new wideout contribution is really long—long enough that our two very fast and athletic freshmen may still redshirt.

When Deylin Hasert is fully healthy, he might be our best NFL prospect on offense. Er, among the non freshmen.

We only saw the tip of the iceberg of what Carson Hansen can do—let alone Abu.

Our QB recruiting has been on a ROLL the last several years. All of these high school guys are at least as good as the best Cyclone HS QB signees I’ve seen over the last 40+ years.

That would be Arnaud, Meyer and Rosenfels—the latter two who weren’t much noticed on the recruiting front. Oh…and Bobby Utter.

What’s not to love!
Is Cooper Alexander supposed to be as good, or better the Brahmer? If so, that's a good problem to have.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
As usual, OL is the first need in order for the team to take the next step. Aside from that, I'd like to see one more consistent WR threat emerge. Higgins and Noel are known quantities and provide a deep threat and an explosive threat, but each of them had games where they disappeared. If we can find a way to fill those gaps - either with them being more consistent, or other guys stepping up - the offense could be really exciting next year.

And again as usual we'll need to find a way to consistently move the ball when the defense is stacking 7+ in the box. Too many times in Campbell's tenure teams could just stack the box, take away our zone run game and we just stalled.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Is Cooper Alexander supposed to be as good, or better the Brahmer? If so, that's a good problem to have.
At the same stage, they might be equal? Two inches shorter, but will have that strength and bulk that Ben just picked up this offseason.

Cooper’s dad Stephen was a star at OU.

Just depends on if Cooper takes off as fast as Ben did.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
At the same stage, they might be equal? Two inches shorter, but will have that strength and bulk that Ben just picked up this offseason.

Cooper’s dad Stephen was a star at OU.

Just depends on if Cooper takes off as fast as Ben did.
Where are you hearing this out of curiosity?

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
At TE we will need a guys that can put his hand in the dirt and block too. Chase Allen was good at this. Two years ago we were terrible at this. Last year we were better. This year this will be a bigger key in the run game than most think.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Where are you hearing this out of curiosity?
Which part?

The part about Cooper putting on muscle fast was from the coaches during Spring ball. And Ben too, for that matter.

Mouse mapped out Brahmer’s weight gain last offseason. I think he said he got up to around 230 through the season (without looking), and I think he said he expects him to be 250 or so when the season starts. 255? Can’t remember which. Guess we’ll see.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Which part?

The part about Cooper putting on muscle fast was from the coaches during Spring ball. And Ben too, for that matter.

Mouse mapped out Brahmer’s weight gain last offseason. I think he said he got up to around 230 through the season (without looking), and I think he said he expects him to be 250 or so when the season starts. 255? Can’t remember which. Guess we’ll see.
I'm talking about him being as good as Ben without having played a snap. It could be true I'm just wondering where it's coming from cause I haven't heard about him.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm talking about him being as good as Ben without having played a snap. It could be true I'm just wondering where it's coming from cause I haven't heard about him.
I didn’t hear it anywhere. Well, aside from what the coaches said on Cyning Day.

Their high school films are very similar, aside from the height difference. I actually wondered if Cooper would go elsewhere with Ben a year ahead of him. Happy he’s here.

I’ve been following recruiting for a very long time. These two might be the top two high school tight ends we’ve ever signed—going back from Charlie all the way to Mike Busch. And some guys I’m forgetting.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Sorry, I didn’t read that well.

I didn’t say “as good as Ben without playing a snap”. I said “as good at the same stage”—I.e., before Ben had played snap.

• Friendly
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Problem with that is it becomes very obvious where you're running when you always follow the same tendencies.
I wouldn't call it a "problem" if you're still able to average 4YPP out of it. Do that and you can win games. And that's just talent and execution (yeah, "just," I know...). If the defense adjusts to take that away, then they've set themselves up to be more vulnerable to another play out of that same look.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I wouldn't call it a "problem" if you're still able to average 4YPP out of it. Do that and you can win games. And that's just talent and execution (yeah, "just," I know...). If the defense adjusts to take that away, then they've set themselves up to be more vulnerable to another play out of that same look.
Of course but we don't run a lot of counter action and it drives me crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Of course but we don't run a lot of counter action and it drives me crazy.
I agree we don't seem to run many constraint plays, but that can be hard to see watching a game live. I'm certainly not charting plays during the game, and I don't rewatch games to look for that stuff.

You are right we don't really run a traditional counter at all. But that's largely because a zone run game doesn't use treat holes like man scheme. A constraint play could be a playaction pass to the area vacated by a cheating safety/LB, or a quick toss outside an end who is squeezing down to hard.

I apologize is this feels condescending, it's not meant to be but I do that sometimes...

• Friendly
Reactions: Aclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I agree we don't seem to run many constraint plays, but that can be hard to see watching a game live. I'm certainly not charting plays during the game, and I don't rewatch games to look for that stuff.

You are right we don't really run a traditional counter at all. But that's largely because a zone run game doesn't use treat holes like man scheme. A constraint play could be a playaction pass to the area vacated by a cheating safety/LB, or a quick toss outside an end who is squeezing down to hard.

I apologize is this feels condescending, it's not meant to be but I do that sometimes...
You can run counters in zone, you're just trying to get the LBs first step to be in the wrong direction. I understand zone is meant to give cut back lanes for your RB but if your line isn't good (like ours) then you basically need generational talents running the ball to be successful (Hall, Montgomery). As far as what you're calling a constraint play I just call that a hot route and we don't run those much either but with a freshman QB that is understandable. I just get the feeling Campbell wants to out execute/overpower the opponent like an old school mentality and that's hard to do if you're always running to your full back or strong side of the formation.

Last edited:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Problem with that is it becomes very obvious where you're running when you always follow the same tendencies.
It is only an issue if the TE is not a threat in the passing game. Best case is that your best receiving TE is also your best blocking TE, but that likely doesn’t happen most times. If Burkle is our best in line blocker, he just needs to be a capable pass catcher. If Brahmer is our best receiver, he just needs to be a capable blocker. The staff then needs to break tendencies in the play calling. Blocking is something Brahmer said he is really working on for this fall and that includes adding weight/strength.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
As usual, OL is the first need in order for the team to take the next step. Aside from that, I'd like to see one more consistent WR threat emerge. Higgins and Noel are known quantities and provide a deep threat and an explosive threat, but each of them had games where they disappeared. If we can find a way to fill those gaps - either with them being more consistent, or other guys stepping up - the offense could be really exciting next year.

And again as usual we'll need to find a way to consistently move the ball when the defense is stacking 7+ in the box. Too many times in Campbell's tenure teams could just stack the box, take away our zone run game and we just stalled.
Here was my super condensed, elementary view of the offense last year:

1) First 3 games - we went run heavy, TE sets with the majority of plays in the first half and most of games. Going run heavy and tipping our hand to the other team, our offense sucked.

2) Big 12 Conference games last year (excludes bowl game) - we were unpredictable, dynamic, and we THREW THE BALL FIRST TO OPEN THE RUN. When we have a weaker O line, this just has to be what we do.. and this isn't rocket science.

The St Louis Rams of '99 to '01 threw the ball a ton because they had stud receivers and a great quarterback. In a similar way, we have two bona fide NFL receivers on this roster (Higgins and Noel) and a future NFL guy in Rocco Becht (you can debate it, but I feel he is). With the talent at WR and QB, we should be throwing more early to open the run. Campbell sometimes coaches in the non conference like he is still in the MAC with a superior OL. Yes i'm thankful for Campbell, yes he's the best coach in ISU history, but I want to see a different philosophy in the non conference. Iowa's game planning against us for scouting our offense has been way too easy the last several years. We need to play Iowa with the same balls and unpredictability we have historically played OU and Texas with. I cannot be convinced those bozos have better talent than OU and TX, and our record is much better against OU and TX than Iowa.

In the non conference - let's use some short passes to the TE, bubble screens to Noel / Higgins, short passes in general to spread them out. Then it's Abu Sama time..

Reactions: hoosman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron