October Optimism

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Just thought it would be nice to remember how last October went for the Cyclones...
ISU 38 OU 31, ISU 45 KU 0, ISU 31 TTU 13, and ISU 14 TCU 7.

4 Wins, when even the most optimistic fans last year would have only predicted 2-2.

While we only get 3 October games this year, I think we realistically can win at least two, and if we can catch lightning in a bottle again, all 3. I have seen great improvement in many phases of the game and while it is beating a dead horse, the season opener cancellation has left us a step behind where we legitimately should be.

The BEST is yet to come Cyclone Fans!

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Going to need major improvements from the offense. That includes Campbell's play calling. Zeb not getting first team reps is really killing his decision making speed and proficiency. Love me some Zeb but Campbell needs to focus on his mantra; players, plays, formations; and get Zeb into situations he will be more successful in.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Felt like taking a trip down memory lane last night. Offense eerily reminiscent of a CPR-era unit. These guys can do better, they've already shown it. We need to see it again, and sooner rather than later.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Cyfan1998

Sep 19, 2018
Just thought it would be nice to remember how last October went for the Cyclones...
ISU 38 OU 31, ISU 45 KU 0, ISU 31 TTU 13, and ISU 14 TCU 7.

4 Wins, when even the most optimistic fans last year would have only predicted 2-2.

While we only get 3 October games this year, I think we realistically can win at least two, and if we can catch lightning in a bottle again, all 3. I have seen great improvement in many phases of the game and while it is beating a dead horse, the season opener cancellation has left us a step behind where we legitimately should be.

The BEST is yet to come Cyclone Fans!
We need to get 2 wins this month. OSU will be tough as it's on the road but I think it'll be a close game. I think will lose to WVU, I don't think our offense can keep up. Tech is hard to judge but I think we beat them big.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Next week brings the feeling like things could improve or the wheels fall off a bit.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Despite starting a walkon, the OL has it’s best game of the year against the best defense on the schedule.

Noland had his worst game but against the best defense on the schedule and still led the offense to what we scored a year ago with Lazard. He should improve.

The defense has improved and is good, yet it still has upside.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
we are close to it all coming together imo. the goal has always been a bowl game and i have hope because this team is becoming so consistent just need to clean some things up on the passing game. i also think the lack of offense creativity has been from inability for some the details to be executed on the base package. campbell forces discipline. people will be joyful about this team soon. i see things coming together we were one pass being thrown 2 feet to the right from having the ball with a tie game driving to win. we are so so close. hopefully kyle and david are back for osu or wvu.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
i absolutely love campbells game. we are just missing those punishing 8 minute drives to put the game away.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
Going to need major improvements from the offense. That includes Campbell's play calling. Zeb not getting first team reps is really killing his decision making speed and proficiency. Love me some Zeb but Campbell needs to focus on his mantra; players, plays, formations; and get Zeb into situations he will be more successful in.

This times infinity.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
My thoughts on the path to 6 wins:

Akron is in the bag, and, since Incarnate Word replaces SDSU, for all intents and purposes we're at 2 wins now. (Yes, I am chalking up IW as a win).

Kansas and Baylor are both slightly improved, but look like "likely wins." That puts us at 4 wins.

So, we need to get two wins out of this group:

- OSU - I feel like this is a toss up
- WVU - likely loss
- Tech - I think by this time in the season, we'll be slightly favored
- Texas - I think we'll be slight to moderate underdogs
- KSU -- to be determined

To me, that seems do-able. As in, more than 65% chance doable. I don't think we should be giving up on this season yet.

Of the next 3 "pre-Kansas" games, it's essential we win at least one of them, but it would be much better to win 2.

The fear is if we lose to OSU and WVU (which seems likely), full meltdown mode will be going on and then we'll HAVE to beat Tech. Can CMC keep spirits high if we get to that point?

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Love the optimism but at this point, Sagarin and ESPN FPI have us as heavy underdogs to Ok State, West Virgina and Texas, a small underdog vs Tech and pretty strong favorite against Baylor and the Kansas schools.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
i absolutely love campbells game. we are just missing those punishing 8 minute drives to put the game away.

Missing 8 minute drives in general.

The last part of the drive that DM scored on was a good sign. Maybe some of the timing with the scheme started to come along a bit up front.

In 2016 ISU didn't win but was a very different team than the first month of the season (with exception to Texas) and last year was too obviously. Let's see if some things develop this week and ISU ascends a bit, and can keep it up to end out the season when depth plays a role.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Kansas State is not good, we will beat them this year. Best odds of a win from my perspective in this order, anything under Baylor would be an underdog victory and could serve as our bowl game ticket.

IW
KU
KState
Baylor
Tech
OSU
Texas
WV

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
It's all coming together Cyclones!

2 October wins against ranked opponents, one more to go...

Can we schedule all of our games in October next year

• Agree
Reactions: SeventhSon

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron