O-Line Next year

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
Monday Musings, Williams states, "The offensive line should be exponentially better." Please break it down for me. "Exponentially" suggests more gains than could be had from normal development trajectory. The thought of having a good O-line with Montgomery as a Junior makes me feel FABULOUS.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Monday Musings, Williams states, "The offensive line should be exponentially better." Please break it down for me. "Exponentially" suggests more gains than could be had from normal development trajectory. The thought of having a good O-line with Montgomery as a Junior makes me feel FABULOUS.
Returns 4 guys with good starting experience, has promising guys coming off of RS years and another returning from injury.

Also the staff will explore grad transfers again without a doubt.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Exponentially better was probably an overstatement but they have a chance to be better

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
The "way too early depth chart" would probably be:

LT Sean Foster (RS So)
LG Oge Udeogu (RS Sr)
C Julian Good Jones (RS Jr)
RG Josh Knipfel (RS Jr)
RT Bryce Meeker (Rs Jr)

Everyone there has starting and/or heavy playing ezperience minus Oge who was slated to start this year before getting injured. This also assumes you move Foster to LT where I think they planned on him being before having to play RT when Meeker went down.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Not so optimistic here. I think they will be better, but they are probably still not going to be great unless a couple of the RS guys are studs. Getting back Oge would be good, and one starter back from injury is going to be good to. Still, Campos was probably the best guy ISU had this year, and Garcia was solid after the first couple games. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any help from the senior class next year, unless someone take some huge strides between now and next year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

LT Sean Foster (RS So)
LG Oge Udeogu (RS Sr)
RG Josh Knipfel (RS Jr)
RT Bryce Meeker (Rs Jr)

Everyone there has starting and/or heavy playing ezperience minus Oge who was slated to start this year before getting injured. This also assumes you move Foster to LT where I think they planned on him being before having to play RT when Meeker went down.
What is key to me is what is behind them. Too many years to count we have thought our woes on the O-line were over only to have a few key injuries and find out that once again ISU had no quality depth.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

LT Sean Foster (RS So)
LG Oge Udeogu (RS Sr)
RG Josh Knipfel (RS Jr)
RT Bryce Meeker (Rs Jr)

Agree with this. I think there are few RS guys that could push for time but ideally you'd like to give them another year.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I think "exponentially" is just a little bit of hyperbole. But yeah, assuming all the starters and contributors expected to return do so plus some promising younger players and maybe a grad transfer or two, Montgomery should have a significantly better run blocking group in front of him next fall.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyhiphopp

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
What is key to me is what is behind them. Too many years to count we have thought our woes on the O-line were over only to have a few key injuries and find out that once again ISU had no quality depth.

True for just about every position group during the CPR era, but yeah. It was almost always most evident along the offensive and defensive lines.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
True for just about every position group during the CPR era, but yeah. It was almost always most evident along the offensive and defensive lines.
Rhoads era? You can go back at least through Donnie Duncan and find truth in this. There were some years that they got lucky and didn't have an injury bug, but most times they lost a couple of starters on either line and they were screwed.

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
Is Campos going to go after a medical redshirt for last year? I may have missed it, but sounds like you can't request one until you have exhausted your eligibility and he missed his whole junior year.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I never would have guessed that o line would still be our weak link in year 3 of the Campbell era. Good thing it's mostly due to skill positions trending up in a hurry.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Is Campos going to go after a medical redshirt for last year? I may have missed it, but sounds like you can't request one until you have exhausted your eligibility and he missed his whole junior year.
You generally have to miss more than a full season to request a 6th year of eligibility. So if he missed all of his junior year and at least a good part of another year due to injury he has a chance. If he just missed that year and redshirted for non-injury reasons for another year he really doesn't have a chance.

It will be interesting to see if he even applies.

• Agree
Reactions: SiouxCityCyclone

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Steroids?

• Disagree
Reactions: jonnyb21

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

The OL for some reason had a crazy amount of injuries, mostly serious or career ending. Also, it seemed like a lot of guys got hurt before the season ever started.

Don't know what the norm is for teams losing OL, but ISU had to be way over the top during CPRs last 3 years.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

LT Sean Foster (RS So)
LG Oge Udeogu (RS Sr)
RG Josh Knipfel (RS Jr)
RT Bryce Meeker (Rs Jr)

I think you might be correct, although several underclassmen May challenge Oge. My biggest concern is Foster - not convinced he has the feet to play tackle.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That looks like a line that will run block better than pass block.

Help Support Us

Become a patron