Nostalgia - Childhood Toys

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
On the farm, I had a sting ray bike. Drove down the hill toward the barnyard and jumped off a ramp made from a cinder block and an old small square baler chute. heavy as hell but it didn't move. I would mark my record jumps with a stick in the dust where I landed.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
OMG! I totally forgot about this. I had this and LOVED it. I think I had another one similar, but I definitely had this exact one! Crazy! Thanks for the memory!!
I imagine the pitch meeting for it was like, "OK how can we make Fashion Plates something boys would buy?"

Reactions: 2speedy1

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Not toys, but found my Dad’s Playboy and Penthouse when I was like 10, which would be around 1980.

• Winner
Reactions: 0u812

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Hours and rs and hours of hot wheel, yes I still have most of them. Pretty beat up though.

Had it!

I was trying to find random photo online, but was unsuccessful. Didn't think to check for video.

That's cool you still have a lot of the cars. I think I gave mine to my nephew at one point. He probably still has some, I should check that.

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
Christmas, shortly after my dad died in 1961, my older sister wrapped this (or something very similar). The package was the most beautiful gift package I had seen in a troubling time in our lives. I received a stylish sweater, I was seen wearing it in a couple of years in class photos. I was 9 and she would have been 14.

IMG_2688.jpeg

• Friendly

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My sons asked me once what I played with as a kid and then made fun of my toys.

They couldn’t grasp what paper dolls were. Wondered if we were too poor for real dolls. I told them I had a Barbie, and they said which one? I think there was just one Barbie then, but when I had surgery when I was five, my grandparents got me a Midge. My kids asked me if that was some kind of insect.:rolleyes:

I also got hand me down plastic green soldiers, farm animals, and a yo-yo from my brothers. At some point, I got an Etch-a-Sketch and a Wheel-O, that was big time toy peak.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
Looking back we did some really stupid things with our toys that seemed like the right thing to do at the time: We played "cowboys" in the hayloft when we were dressed with winter clothes using our daisy BB guns. We went as far as taking the guns apart and stretching'the propulsion spring to see if we could get more power out of them. I mean how could you make a welt on your brother when he was wearing all those layers? Another game we played when we got our first fiberglass bow was to stand in a circle we scratched in the dirt, launch an arrow as straight up as we could with our end goal to see if you could get it to land in the same circle as you were in. The wooden target arrow would disappear out of sight before reappearing with no time to react. Rather exhilarating! We played basketball in our haymow when it was so cold the ball wouldn't bounce. Solution? Fill a vegetable can with gasoline and light the top. You then had a place to warm up hands over the flame--no such thing as hand warmers back then and who shoots with gloves on? What could possibly go wrong with a fire burning in a haymow?
I thought I did some stupid things but BB gun fights were never a part of it. My brother did shoot me in the ass once and damn it hurt.

We did do bottle rocket fights on the Fourth of July. We made our own hand held launchers and had 2 teams. You’re hit you’re out. I’m actually surprised no one lost an eye now that I think of it.

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone